T Nation

What Can I Do Without a Gym?

I am a newbie and I really need to get into shape (mostly just losing weight). Is there any way to do this in my home without the use of a gym? The only pieces of “equipment” I own are a pool and a bicycle and it is unlikely I can acquire anything else for a while. Oh, and I’m sorry if there was already a similar post to this one, if so, I couldn’t find it.

Um Vahn there are a ton of exercises you can do without ANY equipment especially for just losing weight. The hard part is finding the motivation to do the exercises. Most importantly though, exercise a good diet!

Look in the article library as well as the forums, but basically to accelerate fat loss you’ll want to do combination exercises (ones that exercise more than just one muscle group) several exercises that utilize your natural body weight are great for fat loss. Jump Squats, Lunges, basically any exercise that concentrates on your core, your entire body will be affected.

There are lots of bodyweight exercises you can perform. The ones mpenix listed as well as every variation of push-up, chair dips, pull-ups on anything that will hold you. This is an interesting video

as well as these

You get the idea. Be creative.

T-Nation doesn’t really do a whole bunch of bodyweight articles, largely because they’re not really efficient for most strength and body composition goals.

That said, Ross Enamait’s work DOES focus on this type of stuff.

That said, lunges, pushups, bodyweight rows, HIIT and a good diet should take you a long way.

Good luck. If you do find something that works and works well, post it. I’d be interested.

Size wise i have come longer with doing pushups 5-6 times a week than i have come by doing all other training programs… even though i was younger at that time… but im training for strenght so that doesnt cut it anymore…

look up some sites on hindu pushups and such stuff… matt furey has alot but hes a fuck up…

Mike Mahler did an article a while ago on what you could do with this stuff http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459922

I would like to point out that you said your goals were “mostly just losing weight” well you have most everything you need for that. A bike, a pool, and some shoes. Do some cardio, eat better.

Although I am a huge fan of the fat loss through muscle building, So as everyone here said already do some body weight stuff, I love pushups, and if you know any small people just plop them on your back and do more pushups, when you get to that point to corse. Not to get side tracked but during high school when I worked as a camp counselor, I would just sit there during free time with 2 or 3 kids on my back and do pushups.

Anyways, just do some of the body weight work with some bike riding or swimming, and eat better and you will see positive body composition changes.

I said eating again, as it is easy to change, requires no equipment, and will cause good results.

Now a lot of people said doing pushups was fine, but how many is enough? I already do 3 sets of 30, should I move onto something else or is that wrong? One of my friends told me to do clapping pushups but I can only do 15 reps of those, is that a good number? Oh and thanks so much for all of the help so far.

[quote]VahnBlackwind wrote:
Now a lot of people said doing pushups was fine, but how many is enough? I already do 3 sets of 30, should I move onto something else or is that wrong? One of my friends told me to do clapping pushups but I can only do 15 reps of those, is that a good number? Oh and thanks so much for all of the help so far.[/quote]

Doing pushups is great but to really take advantage of it you can’t “just do pushups” you have to do a lot of varied workouts that emphasize multiple parts of the body. Cardio and Diet are your best bets at this point with some bodyweight exercises like the following.

4 sets of each (your own bodyweight)
Pushups
Squats
Jumping Jacks
Lunges

Basically exercises that you can do at a moderate pace that emphasize the core systems

Also, if you need to up the difficulty of your pushups, you can prop your feet up.

I was working out solely in my apartment not too long ago. I built some parallettes…

http://www.beastskills.com/equipment.htm
(Scroll down a little)

I just wrote down the size of the pieces went to the home depot and had the guy cut them there. Came home with a bunch of pieces of pvc and some pvc glue and 20 minutes later I had a set of parallettes.

I use them primarily for pushups, handstand pushups against the wall, and L-sits. I would also recommend getting a pull up bar. Just find one that fits in the doorway. With those two pieces of equipment you will be well on your way. Add a jump rope and you will be there.

Work on a good solid diet plan and burpees are another good BW exercise to lose fat.