What Can A Good Gym Do - But Doesn't Yet?

[quote]Catalyst Fitness wrote:
I think you’re the front-runner with the seminars so far. Should have put a deadline on this thread, but why don’t we say Oct. 31?[/quote]

Awww man, you dont like the catalyst crew? :wink:

It’s a great idea - but we already do it. Tuesday nights. Competing in a prison meet Dec. 13. Come to Ontario and join us!

[quote]Catalyst Fitness wrote:
It’s a great idea - but we already do it. Tuesday nights. Competing in a prison meet Dec. 13. Come to Ontario and join us![/quote]

oh, right on, that’s pretty cool. I’m not looking to move to ontario any time in the near future, but if I did I’d agree to be the charter member of the catalyst strongman crew in exchange for stones, a 12" log, an 800# tire, a yoke, and items to be named later :wink:

…and if you were to host a WL meet I’d give that a go

Hey KBC - take your honeymoon here or something!
I’d host a PL meet, because I’m very familiar, but not WL. I like watching it, but the judging is too technical for me (was it a jerk or a press?) Plus I chuckle every time I say, “nice snatch.”

OK, Sumabeast wins with his seminars idea. I’ll PM you with a gift certificate for a shirt!

Thanks all!

Any chance you’ll be opening a location closer to Toronto/GTA area? I would drop Goodlife (yawn) in a second if you guys were closer :slight_smile:

Hey unknowingly to everyone, I got help too. I am doing a project for a master’s class and I have to build a facility, and I was looking for ways to make mine different. The ideas on some of these are GREAT!!! I will definitely use a few of the suggestions, for my project, and when I open a real facility, I will use them too. Thanks everyone!

So you guys are in ‘the Sault’ eh? Nice…

We don’t have anything cool up here in Ottawa… sux… just a buncha pasty fat politicians… lol :wink:

Man… I’d LOVE to do this shit… I train at a decent place… but ya… Goodlife is like a god damned night Club without the music blaring… it’s horrendous there… :S

Regarding a location in Toronto - GTA;
It’s tough to open this kind of facility in a metro area. You’ve basically got to have industrial zoning, and then get a special exemption to open as a commercial business. It’s not easy, but better than opening in a commercial area and getting constant complaints about noise, tires in the parking lot, sleds in the streets, etc.

Also, ground-level space is at a premium, even in the Sault. Our first gym (on Queen St., if you’ve been in the city) is on the second floor. Excellent view, amazing natural light…and a womens’ sweater store downstairs. Sometimes when we deadlift, their light fixtures fall out. Meh.

I love Toronto, and love Ottawa. I’d open a box there in a heartbeat if I had a local partner with a decent client base. You’re better starting as a Trainer, building a solid tribe, and then expanding your offering to them, instead of opening a facility you ‘believe’ everyone will like and then owning a big lease.

I’m no one to give business advice, just wanted to point out what’s keeping me from opening in Southern Ontario.

Sad to hear. Maybe in time you will find a partner to make that happen.

What is he pulling in the above photo? Looks like some major weight in the DL (400+ lbs?)

Didn’t read all the posts but another competition idea is to have an NFL combine type event. 40 yd dash, shuttle run, bench for reps, ect… Since you’re in Canada maybe do an NHL combine.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
Sad to hear. Maybe in time you will find a partner to make that happen.

What is he pulling in the above photo? Looks like some major weight in the DL (400+ lbs?)[/quote]

That’s his first 500lbs deadlift, done at Catalyst Games 2008 to take second in that event. He also took second in the Bodyweight Bench/Truck Pull combo event, and he and I tied for first overall because he beat me in the endurance event.