T Nation

What Brand Golf Clubs Do You Use?


#1

It's time for me to delay my wedding even further by explaining why I need to blow a grand on another set of golf clubs. I'd be interested in what everyone is using right now. What irons do you prefer? What driver/woods do you use, what loft? Stiff/Regular/senior flex?


#2

Drivers-woods-hybrids all Cobra stiff flex.
Irons are Cleveland CG Golds
Wedges are Cleveland CG14


#3

I like my clubs a little heavy on swing weight.

Driver = Cleveland Hi-Bore driver (I have a handful of drivers)
3W = Old Callaway Steelhead III (Like the weight didn’t have to add tape)
5W = Titlest

Irons = Copper Ping Eye 2s (I also have a set of Mizzuno forged blades and an old set of Silver Scotts)

Wedges = Usually Mizzuno forged. I have a lot of different wedges. I Mix and Match a lot.

Putter = Oddesy 2 ball. Again I have collected almost a dozen putters.

I always recommend finding used clubs at good shop that feel good to you and checking e-bay for the price. Never buy the newest set on the market. The truly well built clubs have a following; are on the market for many seasons; and can be found on ebay used for fractions of the cost.


#4

[quote]dday wrote:
Drivers-woods-hybrids all Cobra stiff flex.
Irons are Cleveland CG Golds
Wedges are Cleveland CG14[/quote]

I have a similar setup except I’m using the Nike pro-combo irons.

Cobra driver is 9.5 degrees, cobra 3-wood is 15 degrees, and my hybrid is 21 degrees.

I use a combination of CG 12 and CG 14 wedges from cleveland, I have 52, 56, and 60 degree.

Taylor made putter


#5

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
I like my clubs a little heavy on swing weight.

Driver = Cleveland Hi-Bore driver (I have a handful of drivers)
3W = Old Callaway Steelhead III (Like the weight didn’t have to add tape)
5W = Titlest

Irons = Copper Ping Eye 2s (I also have a set of Mizzuno forged blades and an old set of Silver Scotts)

Wedges = Usually Mizzuno forged. I have a lot of different wedges. I Mix and Match a lot.

Putter = Oddesy 2 ball. Again I have collected almost a dozen putters.

I always recommend finding used clubs at good shop that feel good to you and checking e-bay for the price. Never buy the newest set on the market. The truly well built clubs have a following; are on the market for many seasons; and can be found on ebay used for fractions of the cost.[/quote]

How do you like your Mizzunos? I think that’s my next set that I’ll buy.


#6

I bet I could beat you with a set of gardening tools.


#7

[quote]buffbills69 wrote:

[quote]dday wrote:
Drivers-woods-hybrids all Cobra stiff flex.
Irons are Cleveland CG Golds
Wedges are Cleveland CG14[/quote]

I have a similar setup except I’m using the Nike pro-combo irons.

Cobra driver is 9.5 degrees, cobra 3-wood is 15 degrees, and my hybrid is 21 degrees.

I use a combination of CG 12 and CG 14 wedges from cleveland, I have 52, 56, and 60 degree.

Taylor made putter

[/quote]

My driver is 10.5 but want a 9.5 pretty bad. Not sure my 3 wood (standard) and I have a 2I hybrid. My wedges area 52 and 60, looking to buy a 56 this year.
Putter is an Odyssey black series #3 (love that thing)


#8

[quote]101airborne wrote:

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
I like my clubs a little heavy on swing weight.

Driver = Cleveland Hi-Bore driver (I have a handful of drivers)
3W = Old Callaway Steelhead III (Like the weight didn’t have to add tape)
5W = Titlest

Irons = Copper Ping Eye 2s (I also have a set of Mizzuno forged blades and an old set of Silver Scotts)

Wedges = Usually Mizzuno forged. I have a lot of different wedges. I Mix and Match a lot.

Putter = Oddesy 2 ball. Again I have collected almost a dozen putters.

I always recommend finding used clubs at good shop that feel good to you and checking e-bay for the price. Never buy the newest set on the market. The truly well built clubs have a following; are on the market for many seasons; and can be found on ebay used for fractions of the cost.[/quote]

How do you like your Mizzunos? I think that’s my next set that I’ll buy.
[/quote]

It depends…they are an old set of the mp-11s. When I am playing well (breaking 80) and often I love them. You really need to be striking the ball well to hit them, but I think they can shave an extra shot off you game. That is huge when you are trying to go low. They tend to hit like your hitting a wood–nice low trajectory that rises right at the end of the ball flight and lands soft. If you are a really serious player that is the trajectory you want because the distance is really consistent. Mizuno is an awesome club.

All things equal my Pings are the old square grove type. If I am not playing championship length courses I play these. They are short but they are more forgiving and I can get my 3 iron to stop within a foot of where it lands. Just insane spin. Pings in general launch really high. I think launch trajectory is one of the main differences between game improvement and game enhancement clubs.

What else are you looking at? I have played most the clubs on the market from 2007 or older. One year I was an equipment tester for Golf Mag. I haven’t played as much this last couple summers because of other commitments.


#9

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:

[quote]101airborne wrote:

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
I like my clubs a little heavy on swing weight.

Driver = Cleveland Hi-Bore driver (I have a handful of drivers)
3W = Old Callaway Steelhead III (Like the weight didn’t have to add tape)
5W = Titlest

Irons = Copper Ping Eye 2s (I also have a set of Mizzuno forged blades and an old set of Silver Scotts)

Wedges = Usually Mizzuno forged. I have a lot of different wedges. I Mix and Match a lot.

Putter = Oddesy 2 ball. Again I have collected almost a dozen putters.

I always recommend finding used clubs at good shop that feel good to you and checking e-bay for the price. Never buy the newest set on the market. The truly well built clubs have a following; are on the market for many seasons; and can be found on ebay used for fractions of the cost.[/quote]

How do you like your Mizzunos? I think that’s my next set that I’ll buy.
[/quote]

It depends…they are an old set of the mp-11s. When I am playing well (breaking 80) and often I love them. You really need to be striking the ball well to hit them, but I think they can shave an extra shot off you game. That is huge when you are trying to go low.

They tend to hit like your hitting a wood–nice low trajectory that rises right at the end of the ball flight and lands soft. If you are a really serious player that is the trajectory you want because the distance is really consistent. Mizuno is an awesome club.

All things equal my Pings are the old square grove type. If I am not playing championship length courses I play these. They are short but they are more forgiving and I can get my 3 iron to stop within a foot of where it lands. Just insane spin. Pings in general launch really high. I think launch trajectory is one of the main differences between game improvement and game enhancement clubs.

What else are you looking at? I have played most the clubs on the market from 2007 or older. One year I was an equipment tester for Golf Mag. I haven’t played as much this last couple summers because of other commitments.[/quote]

Did you ever test the MX200’s?
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1014581/iron-set/mizuno/mx200.aspx?gd=3


#10

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I bet I could beat you with a set of gardening tools.[/quote]

X2

I hate douches on the course with $1000+ clubs hacking away. This is the equivalent of walking in the gym wearing a matching under armour outfit.


#11

[quote]101airborne wrote:

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:

[quote]101airborne wrote:

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
I like my clubs a little heavy on swing weight.

Driver = Cleveland Hi-Bore driver (I have a handful of drivers)
3W = Old Callaway Steelhead III (Like the weight didn’t have to add tape)
5W = Titlest

Irons = Copper Ping Eye 2s (I also have a set of Mizzuno forged blades and an old set of Silver Scotts)

Wedges = Usually Mizzuno forged. I have a lot of different wedges. I Mix and Match a lot.

Putter = Oddesy 2 ball. Again I have collected almost a dozen putters.

I always recommend finding used clubs at good shop that feel good to you and checking e-bay for the price. Never buy the newest set on the market. The truly well built clubs have a following; are on the market for many seasons; and can be found on ebay used for fractions of the cost.[/quote]

How do you like your Mizzunos? I think that’s my next set that I’ll buy.
[/quote]

It depends…they are an old set of the mp-11s. When I am playing well (breaking 80) and often I love them. You really need to be striking the ball well to hit them, but I think they can shave an extra shot off you game. That is huge when you are trying to go low.

They tend to hit like your hitting a wood–nice low trajectory that rises right at the end of the ball flight and lands soft. If you are a really serious player that is the trajectory you want because the distance is really consistent. Mizuno is an awesome club.

All things equal my Pings are the old square grove type. If I am not playing championship length courses I play these. They are short but they are more forgiving and I can get my 3 iron to stop within a foot of where it lands. Just insane spin. Pings in general launch really high. I think launch trajectory is one of the main differences between game improvement and game enhancement clubs.

What else are you looking at? I have played most the clubs on the market from 2007 or older. One year I was an equipment tester for Golf Mag. I haven’t played as much this last couple summers because of other commitments.[/quote]

Did you ever test the MX200’s?
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1014581/iron-set/mizuno/mx200.aspx?gd=3[/quote]

I have hit these. A guy in my mens league has a set. Good feel and pretty forgiving. I can shape shots a little and I could only get these to draw consistently (probably due to the lies being too steep for me). They rattle your hands a little on mis-hits (which I kinda like, gives you some feed back). If you are trying to break 90 these will help. They are higher on the launch than you would expect from a forged club, but nothing like a ping cavity back.

Try to find a set and hit them. If these are not around try the MX-300s as they have a similar feel. I didn’t particularly like the 100s, different feel.


#12

[quote]rcfromdb wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I bet I could beat you with a set of gardening tools.[/quote]

X2

I hate douches on the course with $1000+ clubs hacking away. This is the equivalent of walking in the gym wearing a matching under armour outfit.[/quote]

I agree. That is the reason I always tell people to buy used. The worst are the numb nuts that spend $500 on a driver. Most courses are set up short for everyday play so the only need a driver on maybe 4 holes. That is a lot of money for four shots.

I have never spent over $150 on any club or $300 on a set of irons. The best sets are made for many seasons; have a following; and there are a lot of them available on the used markets.


#14

[quote]LESTY wrote:
Dont waste money on a set of clubs just because you think they’ll suit you…

Go get custom fitted - and not just from some shop rep that doesnt know shit, i mean from a real club fitter with launch monitor technology. it’ll be the best money you ever spend, and they’ll probably charge you less than retail anyway for the equipment, so when you factor in the actual fitting session, you’ll have spent the same amount but know that the clubs are perfect for you. its quite often that you find what works best for you is something you would never have thought of. i’m 5’ fuck all and in my driver i have the lowest kick shaft available designed to stop the male pro’s ballooning it - never ina million years would anyone have thought to give me that shaft, but my fitter tried it ona whim and it worked.

trust me, get fitted.[/quote]

X2

Look up the closest professional golf fitters of america rep you can find. Get fitted properly then buy some snake eyes irons built to your specifications. They are quintuple forged and are every bit as good if not better than any set of commercial irons you will find. Plus they will be swingweighted, spined, lie angles adjusted, length fit, etc… bla bla bla. That way the club will actually preform for you, instead of you having to preform for the club.

Drivers I like taylor made heads, get an after maket shaft though, stock shafts are JUNK!

V


#15

go and get custom fitted
clubs that suit your game, physical strength + size and ability
who gives a shit what everyone else uses