T Nation

What Bloodwork Tests to Get ?

(ok I had NO fricken clue what section to place this in)

But basically I have to get blood work for school, and figured since im getting blood drawn anyway I might as well have them run any tests that would be beneficial for my knowledge, in regards to getting bigger and leaner.

Not planning on using roids or anything, but figure thare might be some specific tests that would be beneficial to me.

Much appreciated !

Wut?

Where are you?

Test for Marchifava-Bignami disease.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Test for Marchifava-Bignami disease.[/quote]

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?

Solanum virus and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. And diabeetus. (I didn’t want to list that but Wilford Brimley made me.)

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?[/quote]

Okay reason I ask because we have people from other countries on here so different medical fields.

Now how are you getting to choose what labs are being done?

For your information, 20 years in the medical field and a practitioner. Normally the patients done decide what labs they want done, cause someone has to pay for them.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?[/quote]

Okay reason I ask because we have people from other countries on here so different medical fields.

For your information, 20 years in the medical field and a practitioner. Normally the patients done decide what labs they want done, cause someone has to pay for them.[/quote]

Well I wasnt expecting to be able to get EVERYTHING I want, but I mean I figured if I asked for a few things the doc would include it like test panel or thyroid panel esp if I bring up something about fatigue or whatever.

I know NY is a bit shittier than most states when it comes to blood work laws though

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?[/quote]

For your information, 20 years in the medical field and a practitioner. Normally the patients done decide what labs they want done, cause someone has to pay for them.[/quote]

ie I was gonna ask if he could include

Fibrinogen
DHEA
Hemoglobin A1C
Full Thyroid Screening Panel (free t3, free t4, TSH, antithyroglobulin, reverse t3)
Total Testosterone, Free Testosterone, SHBG
IGF-1
Specific C-reactive protein
Homocysteine
Calcium
vitamin D

I mean I dont thats nothing too crazy no ?

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?[/quote]

Well I wasnt expecting to be able to get EVERYTHING I want, but I mean I figured if I asked for a few things the doc would include it like test panel or thyroid panel esp if I bring up something about fatigue or whatever.

I know NY is a bit shittier than most states when it comes to blood work laws though
[/quote]

Are you fatigued?

The guy that said patients don’t normally choose their lab work is pretty on point. You can ask for preventative health stuff (fasting glucose, lipid panel etc.) but you’re wasting money is you ask for others without symptoms to justify the test. Faking the symptoms to get a test this most likely going to be normal is a waste of money.

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?[/quote]

Fibrinogen
DHEA
Hemoglobin A1C
Full Thyroid Screening Panel (free t3, free t4, TSH, antithyroglobulin, reverse t3)
IGF-1
Homocysteine
Calcium
vitamin D

I mean I dont thats nothing too crazy no ?[/quote]

You might want to prioritize. If a person comes into a physician’s office with a laundry list of weird/senseless crap they’re not going to get any of it.

[quote]Mdgray82 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Wut?

Where are you?[/quote]

Wat

New York ?[/quote]

Fibrinogen
DHEA
Hemoglobin A1C
IGF-1
Homocysteine
Calcium
vitamin D

I mean I dont thats nothing too crazy no ?[/quote]

You might want to prioritize. If a person comes into a physician’s office with a laundry list of weird/senseless crap they’re not going to get any of it.[/quote]

Well thats why ill likely cut it down to

test panel/dhea
thyroid panel
and C-reactive protein (I definitely have potential issues with inflammatory disease)

I mean I have to get the blood work done for a physical for a hospital (so it also includes Titers and all that shit) which is why I thought id be able to squeeze in some other stuff.

Also the doc doesnt actually do the test, he just writes a script then I go to labcorp or whatever where they do it all

(I mean I was under the impression that blood test are relatively cheap, where I know most states other than NY you can just walk into a labcorp pick out all your own tests and pay like 200$ to have it done)

IS this your physician or an occupational health doctor who is just clearing you? If it’s oc health then they probably will say no to everything.
The list is closer to reasonable. I’d drop the DHEA, if your testosterone panel is fine the DHEA is not a worry.

My primary physician

Labs are expensive and if you file through your insurance they may not pay unless the doc diagnosis you with certain things to qualify? How old are you?

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

But basically I have to get blood work for school, and figured since im getting blood drawn anyway I might as well have them run any tests that would be beneficial for my knowledge, in regards to getting bigger and leaner.

Not planning on using roids or anything, but figure thare might be some specific tests that would be beneficial to me.

Much appreciated ! [/quote]

I suggest having them check for adult-onset anencephaly.

– Mrs. Jewbacca

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

– Mrs. Jewbacca[/quote]

Ah yes AFP levels, good idea.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:

– Mrs. Jewbacca[/quote]
I prefer craniorectalimpaction

Hmm for anyone who knows better does this sound right…

So I asked my doc to give ma script for blood work for

(C-reactive protein, fibrinogen, test panel, H-a1c, homocystine, maybe one more?)

And he said sure why not and wrote it all out and said I hope your insurance covers it all

I called up Empire BC/BS and they said theyll cover all of it 100% as long as its in network.

It sounds too good to be true, could that be right ?

Or am I still gonna end up with a 1000$ bill somehow

[quote]dcm1602 wrote:
Hmm for anyone who knows better does this sound right…

So I asked my doc to give ma script for blood work for

(C-reactive protein, fibrinogen, test panel, H-a1c, homocystine, maybe one more?)

And he said sure why not and wrote it all out and said I hope your insurance covers it all

I called up Empire BC/BS and they said theyll cover all of it 100% as long as its in network.

It sounds too good to be true, could that be right ?

Or am I still gonna end up with a 1000$ bill somehow [/quote]

Insurance can always deny, but if you specifically named all the tests on the phone to the person then they should cover it. For reference my girlfriend had insurance deny something that they had said was covered. Since the conversation was recorded she fought it and insurance paid it.

For the record you are most likely wasting insurance money and irresponsable use of healthcare is part of our current problem in the healthcare system.