What Blood Work Should I Get Based on the these Results?

I got the blood work done 4 years ago due to pubertal gyno.

Urine was normal (within ranges), here’s the blood work:
S-PTH 22 ng/L
s-testosterone 10,8 nmol/L (~ 317 ng/dL)
s-lh 1,5 UI/L
s-fsh 2,2 IU/L
s-tsh 2,77 mU/L
s-ft3 5,2 pmol/L
s-ft4 13,6 pmol/L
prolactin (POOL and PEG) 8,5 ug/L
IGF-1 292 ug/l.
MRI of pituitary gland - everything within a normal range

Endo didn’t check other hormones. Also, reference ranges were not provided so they should be compared with these I suppose: Reference ranges for blood tests - Wikipedia
I didn’t get any treatment (TRT etc.).

I have been working out for 7 years and I still do (heavy weights, 5 times a week, 12 % bf). Recently I have implemented quite some new supplements into my regime based on thorough research: tongkat ali, panax ginseng, ashwagandha, maca, rhodiola and DIM. Although I haven’t noticed any dramatic changes yet, I think that this combo should at least have some noticeable effect for my hormones, especially those which are in the bottom of the range otherwise. If you have a look at the previous blood work, that seems to be the case for T and LH.

I think it would be a good idea to do another blood work now and see how things are standing. Which hormones would you recommend me to test? I was thinking of:
Total T, free T, estradiol, LH, FSH, SHBG, T3, T4 and TSH. Do you perhaps have a better suggestion?

p.s.: I would also like to check thyroid hormones since I consume a lot of EGCG which drastically lowers T3 and T4 in rats. I’m really eager on how does it affect me hormone wise.

You have many other threads in this forum. I have no idea what I have discussed with you before and cannot see here any responses. Do I need to go on an Easter Egg hunt to see?

You should have one case thread. No one want to cover the same ground twice.

Add your own ranges above instead of expecting many to do this.

You got labs for gyno and did not get E2 tested?

fT3 looks good, but your oral body temperatures still might be low. With good fT3 and high TSH, we can suspect elevated rT3 and adrenal fatigue and lower body temperatures.

1 Like

Well sorry I thought that they are not really that related since I am not really fighting with the gyno anymore (at least I hope so) and I have basically outlined all the important information that I have in the OP. I haven’t had any other blood works done.

Yes, exactly, they didn’t check E2 nor free testosterone. To sum up the diagnosis: there could be signs of secondary hypogonadism, but it will be treated with TRT only if the symptoms worsen. This is why I decided to do blood work on my own and then get some proper treatment. I’m sure clomid is a much better option than testostereone gel, which would be the official way.

Here are the ranges I combined from Wikipedia and some labs:

S-PTH 22 ng/L (10-65)
s-testosterone 10,8 nmol/L (10-45)
s-lh 1,5 UI/L (2-9)
s-fsh 2,2 IU/L (1.5-12)
s-tsh 2,77 mU/L (0.3-3)
s-ft3 5,2 pmol/L (3.1-7.7)
s-ft4 13,6 pmol/L (10-23)
prolactin (POOL and PEG) 8,5 ug/L (12.7-13.5)
IGF-1 292 ug/l (160-390)

What do you think about testing Total T, free T, estradiol, LH, FSH, SHBG, T3, T4, S-PTH and TSH? Should I get anything else that is crucial for now? I also need to take care for the budget since this testing is really not that cheap in my country.

Your oral body temperatures are more urgently needed now than those other labs.

You have not discussed iodine intake. fT4 and tsh suggest low iodine. If body temps are low, problem is elevated rT3 with stress and adrenal fatigue implications.

Rats:
Green tea polyphenols, especially the catechin, (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), have been proposed as a cancer chemopreventative based on a variety of laboratory studies. For clear assessment of the possible physiological effects of green tea consumption, we injected pure green tea catechins ip into rats and studied their acute effects on endocrine systems. We found that EGCG, but not related catechins, significantly reduced food intake; body weight; blood levels of testosterone, estradiol, leptin, insulin, insulin-like growth factor I, LH, glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride; as well as growth of the prostate, uterus, and ovary. Similar effects were observed in lean and obese male Zucker rats, suggesting that the effect of EGCG was independent of an intact leptin receptor. EGCG may interact specifically with a component of a leptin-independent appetite control pathway. Endocrine changes induced by parenteral administration of EGCG may relate to the observed growth inhibition and regression of human prostate and breast tumors in athymic mice treated with EGCG as well as play a role in the mechanism by which EGCG inhibits cancer initiation and promotion in various animal models of cancer.

Green tea leaf extract (GTLE), used in this experiment has shown great influence on male reproductive system functionally as well as morphologically. The extract was prepared according to the method of Wei. H. et al. The extract was given to two different experimental animal groups with two different doses during 26 consecutive days. After treatment it was found that, the weight of the testis was markedly reduced instead of normal weight gain of all the animals. The sperm count and motility were reduced for the treated groups as compared with control animal group. The enzymes like SGPT and SGOT were as usual and other blood parameters like glucose and protein were also as usual comparing with controlled group. Testosterone level was reduced in the treated groups. FSH and LH levels were also altered accordingly in treated groups. Histological examination showed inhibition of spermatogenesis as evidenced by disintegration of seminiferous tubules of testis. Result of this study showed that GTLE has potent castrative effect on male reproductive system in dose dependent manner.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for these case studies, I really weren’t aware that EGCG has such an impact on several hormones. I have read about testosterone reductions though: -20% Reduction in Serum Testosterone by 5 Cups of Green Tea. Endocrine Effects Depend on Catechin Composition.

Should I measure oral body temperature for multiple days or is it enough to do it once? But doesn’t it also depend on basal metabolism? It could be a bit lower right now because I’m on a cut.

Since all of the studies on EGCG are done on rodents, I was already thinking to do a recheck of the most problematic hormones after I would completely stop with green tea consumption for a few weeks. That way I could immediately prove if it has any effect on me at all.

Would I also need to do a blood work for iodine? Otherwise I don’t supplement it and I eat a variety of food, so I think that daily intake should be ok.

Personally, as much as we might be able to help out, I think reading up some more on the specifics or talking with a professional is probably your best bet. Only so much as armchair experts can do! I’ve found trt posts like these ones (Testosterone Replacement Therapy: 3 Things You Need To Know | Genesys Medical Institute | Bioidentical Hormone Therapy, Salt Lake City) are pretty informative if you’re looking for a starting point, and from there just look for a GP / Doctor you’re comfortable with or, better yet, a hormone doctor who Knows Their Stuff ™. Just be a little wary here and look for a second opinion, first. Just because they have Dr at the start of their name doesn’t always mean they’re on top of their stuff. Anyways, hope that helps!