What Benefits Does Sled Training Provide?

What I mean by this is what type of functional attributes do sled push and pull builds? Does it build muscle because I hear that it doesn’t and some people says that it does which is true?

Also does it build real life strength for daily activities like pushing and pulling an object or for sports that requires you to pull or push an opponent or object to a specific goal?

Yes

Yes

1 Like

First, not all sled pulls are created equal. There is a big difference between pulling a sled with a huge forward lean and too much weight versus pulling a sled with the intent of maximally developing stronger squats and deadlifts. Sled pulls for the purpose of powerlifting should be done with the brunt of the weight attached to the hips to force extension with every step. Posture should be relatively upright and steps should be long and explosive, almost more like bounding than walking (most of the time anyway).

Sled dragging is not a great way to build muscle. It inherently lacks a stressful eccentric phase because there isn’t any load during the swing phase of the gait cycle.

As far as real life strength, there isn’t a more therapeutic modality than simply walking around. Sled pulls are single leg (we only walk with one leg at a time), low stress, and there probably isn’t a more versatile training tool than a sled.

1 Like

But I am asking does it build functional strength to push and pull people or objects?

Yes.

3 Likes

What exactly do you think sled pulls are?

2 Likes

They are a posterior pulling movement. Yes I know that but will they effectively build the functional strength to push and pull people and objects. Example sports like wrestling and football or day to day activities like pushing a couch or refrigerator and dragging or pulling back a barrel of hay or a pallet of product with a pallet jack?

Yes.

Sled pulling will make your nads so massive you’ll need a wheelbarrow for each of your titanic testicles!

IVe been on this site for years and I wish you could just give a cut and dry answer for once

2 Likes

Its amazing how the more direct the answer, the MORE questions I get, haha

4 Likes

But, but, but…

1 Like

I understand but I am just trying to confirm this information is true that’s all. So that I know I won’t be wasting my time on an exercise that want even benefit me. Apologies

I have yet to find a benefitless exercise

1 Like

It sounds like you really don’t want to do them, so why bother asking at all? Do something else that you do believe in

1 Like

Something I remember Skip LaCour saying many years ago. There are no 0/10s in training but that’s what everyone thinks they are doing if it isn’t a 10/10. In reality it’s more like an 8/10 as the worst case scenario

3 Likes

They provide the strength for pulling/pushing heavier sleds over time.

Backwards sled drags = amazing quad exercise with zero knee or lower back stress.

1 Like