T Nation

What Are Your Goals?

Right now I’m 5’10" and 204 at about 12% BF.

In five years I will weigh 250 and sub 10% BF.

What are some of the goals of my fellow old farts?

Currently, I’m thinking 175 at 10% bf by summer. 200 at 10% bf by next spring (2006).

My main goal is to not be out done by any young whipper snappers in the gym and always look great for my age!

Want all round strength, power and size, plus good anaerobic and aerobic conditioning, low levels of body fat and to be as healthy as possible…want to still be lifing in 40 years!

Currently, 5’9", 195lbs, 10% (give or take) Bench 325, dl 380, 38yrs old

Goals: Maintain 10% at whatever weight I get to and just continiously up my maxes, till I can’t up them any more. I’m not a bodybuilder and I’m not a competing pl’er.

I just want to be stronger than anyone that I know, and I’m getting there :slight_smile:

well…im 45, 6’1" and 230. just a tad more than 10% bf, yeah right!
anyway i like ruglayers goals, thats pretty much where im at.
but i have a question for you youngsters. how do you measure your bf%? i have a taylor hand held analyzer, im wondering if im using it correctly.
its been a long time since ive been pushing the weights.
i got back into it just this last christmass.
bench - 230 last night
squat - knee issues getting worked out
deadlift - knee issues but 230-250 for now.

At 54 I have been training for just over a year after a gap of 22 years where I did little but walk the dog.

My goals are:

• To bench my body weight. I’m currently 180 and I have worked up to 165.

• To squat twice my body weight. I have already been able to do 225 below-parallel squats.

• To get my body fat down to 15%. I am currently at 23% and cutting all the time. I’d like to get down to 170 as my maximum body weight.

• And finally I’d like to live long enough to be a burden to my children!

:wink:

Stats 5’ 10" 193, don’t know bodyfat%, 42 years old.

Goals:

Clean and press bodywieght for reps.

Be stronger than I look, and look like a sprinter.

To lose enough fat to be able to stop dieting and start bulking!
Although, I’m now on the T-Dawg and I really can’t imagine eating more food, and I’m gaining muscle so quickly now (higher protein than I’ve ever eaten) that my girlfriend has begun to grumble that Low-Carb Grow! obviously has steroids in it.
I told her that was bunk…it’s actually in the Surge.

Overall, I want to get my bf% down, then I want to work on getting stronger. The asthetic part of bodybuilding really isn’t an issue with me, unless the Mrs. begins hinting at it.

Well, I will hit the big FOUR-ZERO later this year, which has galvanized me over the last few months… I’m currently 6’1"/198lbs @ ~ 11%BF.

Short term goal (i.e. next 9mths): 210-215lbs @ 10-11%BF.

Secondary goals:

-To wrestle a Liger
-To throw a football a quarter mile (like I did in the 80’s)

Finally, to touch my forehead with my tongue (actually, my wife suggested that one) : ) .

1. Massively up Kcals post current cutting cycle
  2. Increase body mass
  3. Increase speed of recovery

So basically, my plan is to ingest a box of Krispy Cremes seven days a week, grow to the massive size of Jabba the Hut and nap on the couch all day.

Alternatively, maintaining a BF of ~10-12% and achieve Testy1’s goal of clean and press bodyweight for reps within the next six months would be ok, too.

I’m 6’ at about 205 lbs. I’d like to be a lean 220 next spring and then a lean 235-240 the next.

Over the last couple years I’ve gotten to a “basic level of fitness” where I can bench and squat over bodyweight and deadlift over 1.5 times bodyweight.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to progress well in squats, but I’d like get them above 400. I’d like to deadlift 500 and bench 350. When I arrive, I’ll set new goals.

By next spring I’d like to be benching 275-300, squatting 300-325 and deadlifting 425-450.

I find my job can get in the way of my goals at times… so over the course of a couple of years I’m going to replace it with something else.

I’m 52, and I’ve been doing some form of training for 21 years. It hasn’t always been perfect, or even correct, but for the last 8 years I’ve been better than ever.

The last couple of years I’ve been at a plateau, and I just assumed that age was the factor, and that strength just wouldn’t improve. But thanks to T-Mag and a lot of good advice, I just changed the program, put on more weight (with the accompanying bit of fat, and lack of definition), stuck to a strick periodization program, and after a year I’ve just recently broken through some strength plateaus, adding 10 lbs to my 1 RM, and 5 lb to my working weights…doesn’t sound like much and it took me a year to do it, but for me it was a real shot in the arm.

I usually change focus in my programs occasionally. I started in June towards more strength programs, but now just started dieting down and increasing high intensity cardio to get in shape for summer and summer activities. I like to run, hike, mountain bike, and rollerblade. I will run a few 10K’s this summer, just for fun, and will give my spouse a run for his money on the mountain bike trails. I’ll never really keep up with my kids on the blades, but I don’t get left too far behind.

I love working out, but in order to keep the enjoyment and freshness, I find it a lot of fun to change focus occasionally. So I update and/or change my goals a couple of times a year.

I just made 40 and have been lifting under a year. At 250 and ~30% BF I won’t be appearing on any magizine covers anytime soon. My goal is to dance at my daughter’s wedding. Which sounds simple except that she is five and I’ve got a baby brother who already had a heart attack (which was a major wake up call). Good news is that my doctor has lowered my blood pressure medication twice already and my resting pulse has gone way down.

I’m at the tail end of a bulking cycle. I’m 6’1" and 213 lbs after I take a piss in the morning. Probably about 15-16% bf. This is the largest I’ve ever been. May not sound like much to some on this board but I’m an ectomorph that has had a heck of time accumulating muscle. However, it is coming on slowly but surely.

I’d like to get to 230 lbs at the same bf% by next year which I can now visualize doing. Longer term goal is to be at least 230 lbs at 10% bf or less. That means I’ll probably need to get to 250 lbs and then diet down. Once I reach that longer term goal, I can reevaluate what I want to do from there. I’ve come a long way but have a long way to go. I will eventually chronicle my journey with pics but not yet…

46 5’9" 180 13%bf
I’ve been lifting for 4 years and was blown away by some of your goals. After the first year and a half my progress while steady has been less than dramatic. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if there is something I can change to see more progress. I’d like to break 400lbs in both deads and squats and 350 bench.

Over the last year and a half I’ve focused on variations of bench, deads, squats, pullups, dips etc. Max bench 300lbs, dead 355lbs, squat 345lbs. Those are up maybe 5% from last year which explains my frustration. At that rate the above goals are years away, not months.

Any thoughts on what are reasonable goals for someone with my background?

[quote]dkurk wrote:
46 5’9" 180 13%bf
I’ve been lifting for 4 years and was blown away by some of your goals. After the first year and a half my progress while steady has been less than dramatic. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if there is something I can change to see more progress. I’d like to break 400lbs in both deads and squats and 350 bench.

Over the last year and a half I’ve focused on variations of bench, deads, squats, pullups, dips etc. Max bench 300lbs, dead 355lbs, squat 345lbs. Those are up maybe 5% from last year which explains my frustration. At that rate the above goals are years away, not months.

Any thoughts on what are reasonable goals for someone with my background?[/quote]

Need to know more about your lifting program and diet. Just keep working, us old guys (I’m 43) don’t put it on like the younger guys, but you can make progress. Keep pumping.

I normally change programs every 6 to 10 weeks with an off week after completing the program. I’ve done EDT, OVT, Ian King’s Limping series, Anti-Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Program and most recently Total Body Training.

I’m currently on the T-Dawg Diet after some bulking over the winter. Eat very clean with the exception of Saturdays. 6 meals all w/protien carbs in am and fat in pm.

I tend to bulk from Oct to Jan, cut up to May then maintain during the summer.

I’m currently 5’11" and ~185-190. I focus on strength rather than gaining weight. It wouldn’t bother me to get to around 210ish, but I don’t fixate on it.
(Yes, I know this is a bodybuilding site, but the articles by strength coaches are here as well.)

I plan to Squat 500, bench 300 and DL 550 (in this or the next class up) in 1.5 - 2 years. I need to actually start competing, so that’s another goal.

I’ve got a ways to go 'cause I can’t seem to keep myself healthy. That’s one of the problems with having a toddler around. (But she’s worth it.)

Matt

I’m 6’, 220 (down from 275), although the skin calipers say I’ve gained 15 lbs of muscle during the last 18 months . I’d like to be at 215-220 at 10% bf in the next 12-18 months, but I also want a high level of physical performance. I’m about 18 months into a comeback to lifting after taking about 15 years off from anything serious.

Other goals include:

• OH Squat 1.25 bodyweight ( I usually don’t go below 5 reps on this movement).
  • Make All-American standard in age group for Shot Put, competitive in Discus.
  • Compete in a few Highland Games events.
  • Stay ahead of my 3 sons in terms of strenght, speed, agility.
  • Stay injury free.

The last two are probably the toughest. I find that I revert back to my younger mode of “toughing it out” when I feel the “bad” pain. It’s really hard to overcome that mindset. I am realizing that the setbacks from injury are a lot more damaging than they used to be. My sons are gaining on me every day, reminds me of Satchel PAige’s advice not to look back.
old dogg