What are You Strugling With?

[quote]wisdom_of_strong wrote:
Well, if you have just started training [/quote]

He hasn’t. He has just started training that movement WEIGHTED and already moves more weight than most guys on here. Jarvan and I may sometimes disagree but if he does what he says he does, he is a strong fucker for his weight.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

He hasn’t. He has just started training that movement WEIGHTED and already moves more weight than most guys on here. Jarvan and I may sometimes disagree but if he does what he says he does, he is a strong fucker for his weight.
[/quote]

Hello nighthawkz,

If you realized I have used (if) in my sentence. I asked that question because I dont know him personally. A lot of guys make no progress because they tend jump from one exercise to another without mastering none.

Back in high school, I remember that kids were trying to dunk the ball before they learn how to dribble properly. It is just human nature I guess.

For any kind of weighted exercise though, the fastest way to progress is to add enough weights which would bring down your max reps by 3-4. So, if you can do 15 proper pull ups with no weights, just add enough enough weights so that you can do max 11-12 reps while maintaining a proper form. Hope it helps…

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[/quote]

Hello nighthawkz,

If you realized I have used (if) in my sentence. I asked that question because I dont know him personally. A lot of guys make no progress because they tend jump from one exercise to another without mastering none.

Back in high school, I remember that kids were trying to dunk the ball before they learn how to dribble properly. It is just human nature I guess.

For any kind of weighted exercise though, the fastest way to progress is to add enough weights which would bring down your max reps by 3-4. So, if you can do 15 proper pull ups with no weights, just add enough enough weights so that you can do max 11-12 reps while maintaining a proper form. Hope it helps…[/quote]

He wrote

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
Got up to 135lbs +bodyweight(140lbs[/quote]

If somebody’s able to do that, I - personally - won’t throw cookie cutter advice at him. No offense intended.

Consistency in my diet. And posting in my training log. I’ve still been training even though I don’t always train at the same time or day.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[/quote]

Hello nighthawkz,

For any kind of weighted exercise though, the fastest way to progress is to add enough weights which would bring down your max reps by 3-4. So, if you can do 15 proper pull ups with no weights, just add enough enough weights so that you can do max 11-12 reps while maintaining a proper form. Hope it helps…[/quote]

He wrote

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
Got up to 135lbs +bodyweight(140lbs[/quote]

If somebody’s able to do that, I - personally - won’t throw cookie cutter advice at him. No offense intended.
[/quote]

Apparently he wasnt able to do that but anyways. I hope he achieves his goals soon. Best to you guys.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:
Consistency in my diet. And posting in my training log. I’ve still been training even though I don’t always train at the same time or day. [/quote]

Hi,

Why inconsistency? Is it because of your schedule or just not paying enough attention during the day?

I dont know what your experience level is but you may have just hit a plateau (either physical or psychological). Something I have experienced numerous times in my career. I suggest you maintain your belief and confidence even when you see no gains.

Progress rarely provides an instant feedback, majority of things that are worth pursuing are like bamboo trees. You water it for 5 years straight and it grows to its peak height in only 3-4 months. I know exactly what you are going through as I have been there before.

You must though, be able to control your thoughts before anything else, your brain is your strongest muscle after all. [/quote]

I don’t think I hit a plateau… Because I haven’t even started a ‘program’ yet. Lol
I’ve hit my target PRs in the past… And this is my new project.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[/quote]

Hello nighthawkz,

Although you say some true statements, nighthawk is simply implying that you can deduce that it isn’t my first time at the rodeo…

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[/quote]

Hello Jarvan,

I just wanted to share my opinion and thought maybe I could be helpful. I would be happy if you share how you progress over time.

Best.

Hello nighthawkz,

Although you say some true statements, nighthawk is simply implying that you can deduce that it isn’t my first time at the rodeo…
[/quote]

Debating on when exactly I should start implementing my deadlift suit into my training while my raw strength continues to increase. Training solo makes getting into and out of the suit a pain, and also makes my training take much longer, but it will make me more competitive for max deadlift events.

I am struggling with…

Drinking too much beer this summer.

Figuring out how I should train now that I have a full year of consistent and sensible strength training under my belt. It is time for something different, I think. I just have not decided what yet.

Consistency in my diet. And posting in my training log. I’ve still been training even though I don’t always train at the same time or day. [/quote]

Hi,

Why inconsistency? Is it because of your schedule or just not paying enough attention during the day?[/quote]

It’s just my schedule and lack of discipline when It comes to diet. But I’m working on it.

Hi,

Why inconsistency? Is it because of your schedule or just not paying enough attention during the day?[/quote]

It’s just my schedule and lack of discipline when It comes to diet. But I’m working on it.[/quote]

I feel you, as of today my weakest spot still remains to be the sweets. Not fat or alcohol but all that goodness comes out the of best bakeries in town:)

In last 10 years, I have somehow managed to become fat, skinny and strong (it was unintentional) and I gotta tell you diet played a huge role in my transformations. Actually, I should not say diet as I don´t believe in the concept of dieting but more like your nutrition and what you eat and drink.

Good thing about your nutrition is that once you keep it under control for a while, it becomes much harder to sacrifice later on because that sense of guilt is just killing you throughout the day.

I just hope you find your own mental switch to make it persistent because at the end of the day that is what it counts. All the best man.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I am struggling with…

Figuring out how I should train now that I have a full year of consistent and sensible strength training under my belt. It is time for something different, I think. I just have not decided what yet. [/quote]

Hi there,

I am 100% that if you tinker with your thoughts just a bit more, you will find that sweet spot which will allow you to resist beer at those very critical times.

What I learned is that sacrificing your biggest cravings will always bring the highest returns on your efforts. I know it is a lot easier said than done but I truly feel that way and believe consistency truly creates permanent habits.

How many times am I able to do that? maybe 7-8 times out of 10 but I am happy with my progress.

I like this:

-What exactly my goals are (My powerlifting goal of a 1300 total by the end of next year is sliding, I keep thinking I want to lean more towards aesthetics, part of me feels I should be training for athleticism as I think that will increase my quality of life the best, and it is leading to some bizarre program hopping that has essentially run me into a wall)

-Time/Sleep

-Eating correctly

-Mobility (actually starting to work on it is the struggle)

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I am struggling with…

Figuring out how I should train now that I have a full year of consistent and sensible strength training under my belt. It is time for something different, I think. I just have not decided what yet. [/quote]

Hi there,

I am 100% that if you tinker with your thoughts just a bit more, you will find that sweet spot which will allow you to resist beer at those very critical times.

What I learned is that sacrificing your biggest cravings will always bring the highest returns on your efforts. I know it is a lot easier said than done but I truly feel that way and believe consistency truly creates permanent habits.

How many times am I able to do that? maybe 7-8 times out of 10 but I am happy with my progress.

[/quote]

Ha! How about tinkering with the weather? I am much better at consistent execution when I am freezing in the dark at home. During the summer I am only batting .300 or so on the whole “thanks, but I will pass on that beer” dietary at bat.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I like this:

-What exactly my goals are (My powerlifting goal of a 1300 total by the end of next year is sliding, I keep thinking I want to lean more towards aesthetics, part of me feels I should be training for athleticism as I think that will increase my quality of life the best, and it is leading to some bizarre program hopping that has essentially run me into a wall)

-Time/Sleep

-Eating correctly

-Mobility (actually starting to work on it is the struggle)[/quote]

Hi,

It has always fascinated me that people are so much concerned about the total amount weight they can lift and completely overlook what they are missing on the other side.

I have never been a power lifter nor that I have any intentions to be. I have been on a pro cycling team for 4 years, played varsity basketball for 4 years and have been lifting regularly for almost 7 years. To me raw strength without any functional capabilities or aesthetics is not a very appealing concept. If you develop enough muscle mass on your body and those muscles are not able to sync with each other while allowing you to run, jump or hit some objects (a.k.a good old fighting) properly, I´d have a hard time justifying all that training. This is my personal view on the subject!

My motto has always been to increase the muscle size to the point where I can still maintain my proportions and maintain their full functionality at the same time.

By the way, any girl would pick a sprinter over a power lifter if anyone was wondering. No offense intended though, just my personal observations.

Hi,

It’s just my schedule and lack of discipline when It comes to diet. But I’m working on it.[/quote]

I feel you, as of today my weakest spot still remains to be the sweets. Not fat or alcohol but all that goodness comes out the of best bakeries in town:)

In last 10 years, I have somehow managed to become fat, skinny and strong (it was unintentional) and I gotta tell you diet played a huge role in my transformations. Actually, I should not say diet as I don�´t believe in the concept of dieting but more like your nutrition and what you eat and drink.

Good thing about your nutrition is that once you keep it under control for a while, it becomes much harder to sacrifice later on because that sense of guilt is just killing you throughout the day.

I just hope you find your own mental switch to make it persistent because at the end of the day that is what it counts. All the best man.
[/quote]

That’s what I’m working on. I’ve just seen people who have there diet/nutrition in order and they see much greater results and I know that’s where I lack.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I like this:

-Time/Sleep

-Eating correctly

Hi,

It has always fascinated me that people are so much concerned about the total amount weight they can lift and completely overlook what they are missing on the other side.

I have never been a power lifter nor that I have any intentions to be. I have been on a pro cycling team for 4 years, played varsity basketball for 4 years and have been lifting regularly for almost 7 years. To me raw strength without any functional capabilities or aesthetics is not a very appealing concept. If you develop enough muscle mass on your body and those muscles are not able to sync with each other while allowing you to run, jump or hit some objects (a.k.a good old fighting) properly, I�´d have a hard time justifying all that training. This is my personal view on the subject!

My motto has always been to increase the muscle size to the point where I can still maintain my proportions and maintain their full functionality at the same time.

By the way, any girl would pick a sprinter over a power lifter if anyone was wondering. No offense intended though, just my personal observations.

[/quote]

I think that would depend on the powerlifter. And the sprinter.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I like this:

-Time/Sleep

-Eating correctly

Hi,

I have never been a power lifter nor that I have any intentions to be. I have been on a pro cycling team for 4 years, played varsity basketball for 4 years and have been lifting regularly for almost 7 years. To me raw strength without any functional capabilities or aesthetics is not a very appealing concept. If you develop enough muscle mass on your body and those muscles are not able to sync with each other while allowing you to run, jump or hit some objects (a.k.a good old fighting) properly, I�?�´d have a hard time justifying all that training. This is my personal view on the subject!

[/quote]

I think that would depend on the powerlifter. And the sprinter.
[/quote]

Yes you are right. I am sure there are some exceptions to what I have sad. I feel that you leaning towards more functional training while still staying strong will be a lot more beneficial on the long run. I hope it all works out as you wish. Best.