T Nation

What Are You Reading?

Perhaps we all must read it! I looked into it because I was almost done with The Dutch House, by Ann Patchett, which I enjoyed. I finished that last night, and have the Crying in H Mart sample ready to go in my Kindle.

@polo77j, I also have a sample of Thinking, Fast and Slow, which I’ve been meaning to read for the 50 years you’ve been recommending it, but after a couple of go-'rounds with a patient at work, who used the book to justify her unbending victimization at the hands of virtually everyone she’s ever met, I don’t know if I can.

Maybe I’ll listen to it in the car some day.

Totally recommend. I might be a little biased, but I think it was really well-done even though it may seem like a typical second-generation American’s memoir.

[quote=“EmilyQ, post:602, topic:267743, full:true”]
The Dutch House, by Ann Patchett, which I enjoyed.
@polo77j, I also have a sample of Thinking, Fast and Slow
[/quote
I read both of those last year. I really like Anne Pratchett - I read “ Run” right afterwards, also good. I thought the other one was a bit state-the-obvious, but didn’t really offer much on how to use the info.

I think that at a certain point as a reader, everything becomes typical to some extent (“there is nothing new under the sun”) and you begin reading for voice and perspective.

1 Like

Fair. I figured I would balance my praise with some of the critique that the book has received.

1 Like

The Specter of Communism by Melvyn Leffler

Good overview of the coldwar and everything that led up to it. I wish my highschool curriculum had more books like this short, sweet, and to the point.

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt

Why was this book so popular? This book, along with everything Malcom Gladwell has written, has created a new genre of pseudo-intellectual “gothca!” books. They all kind of follow the same format “You probably think X happens because of Y, but you’re wrong, and an idiot”. I understand that the purpose of this book is to get people to approach problems from an objective data driven view, but at times it seemed like Levitt took massively complicated issues and pointed at one trend to explain them.

1 Like

The Struggle for Soy by Megan Sound

The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk

The Body Keeps the Score - great book.

1 Like

I like all of them, plus video games. On an average day I’ll listen to music for hours (83,000 total minutes on Spotify alone last year), read for a bit, play games and then watch shows/a movie. But maybe I just waste too much time on entertainment in general.

My listening minutes on Spotify last year nearly matched yours. I also read tons of books though. My other hobbies aren’t entertainment-related, so I didn’t squeeze in any other kinds. I don’t watch shows, and I can count on one hand the number of movies I watched last year.

There’s huge value in doing things, especially going for walks, without entertainment in the background. A lot of people are uncomfortable with their own thoughts. Yet I’m not sure spending considerable time on entertainment is automatically bad or wasted time. I think people who geek out over music, books, and films are cool. I like to think that relationships with entertainment can still be healthy, even when one spends a lot of time with it. Depends on how people engage with it.

Working my way through these

2 Likes

I started Savvy Estate Planning

Gotta learn this stuff early

That’s what his academic work is based on

His papers all go something along the lines of:

Here is big social issue → find data-> run regression-> identify “significant causes” to even if the regressions have 7 variables and r^2 of <.3

If something doesn’t fit a hypothesis, just use a fancier regression