What Are You Reading?

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that, the editing is… just okay haha, so that’s totally unsurprising. The tone of the book totally jives with me so far though so it’s pretty easy to overlook.

Solid book. For one of my religion classes, I am reading “The Viking Spirit” by Daniel McCoy. Super informative. Not as good of a read imo, but still informative and interesting nonetheless

2 Likes

Every time I try to read something of his, I wonder what he was taking

@T3hPwnisher Pretty I caught the folklore repeat. It was a lot more subtle than I was expecting but I saw it right away.

Also would like to take a moment to point out the irony in my last post. As I’m critiquing the editing of the book I authored a pretty absurdly written statement myself haha.

1 Like

Meant to say hope you enjoy Thinking… One of my favorite books

1 Like

I finished a tale of Two Cities today. After 8 times reading it, I still can’t find the part about Madame Defarge’s sister. If anyone’s read it, I’d love to know which chapter.

My favourite book of all time is still One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. The writing is shit and the story is bland, but I love the philosophy behind it- taking thing one day at a time and finding joy in the mundane. Very applicable in these times

It’s been many years since I have read it, but maybe this will help.

1 Like

I’ve been chipping away at it in bouts for a while. It’s interesting stuff, but for whatever reason I have a hard time staying engaged with it.

I read All the Light We Cannot See a month or so ago, and felt grief-struck when it ended.

All the Light We Cannot See is a war novel written by American author Anthony Doerr, published by Scribner on May 6, 2014. It won the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the 2015 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction.

And it was every bit good enough to deserve those prizes. I haven’t felt as in love with a book in some time.

Then I picked up Pat Conroy’s Great Santini and had to jump ship 60 pages in. Maybe if I hadn’t had a string of three good books in a row (with the one being excellent), I’d have had more patience based on past experiences of Conroy, but this one just left me cold.

2 Likes

Just finished The Midnight Assassin. Non fiction.
It’s about a serail killer who stalked Austin Tx back in the late 1800s. Not the best storyline but interesting nonetheless. They even suspect that he may have actually been Jack the Ripper who left Texas and moved to England. Hmmmm…

I read it too. The writing is masterful and I appreciated the realism of the ending.
I did find the beginning quite soapy though

Soapy? I’m not sure how you’re using that word, but I assume synonymous with sappy or saccharine? If so, I’m not sure I agree. I almost put it down when I got to (quoted loosely) “there was no meat or butter, and fruit was a distant memory,” which seemed stressful at a time when there was no chicken at my grocery store, along with talk of the dead-eyed men shuffling into the mines. What held me were things like this, on page 10.

Up and down the lanes, the last unevacuated townspeople wake, groan, sigh. Spinsters, prostitutes, men over sixty. Procrastinators, collaborators, disbelievers, drunks. Nuns of every order. The poor. The stubborn. The blind.

Some hurry to bomb shelters. Some tell themselves it is merely a drill. Some linger to grab a blanket or a prayer book or a deck of playing cards.

I don’t know, I just loved it.

1 Like

Definitely not the wording. I don’t quite enjoy “touching” stories of ppl (ie of a dad doing everything for his blind daughter after her mother’s death or some child’s struggle with cancer)
Animals on the other hand… that’s a different story
It’s a personality thing

1 Like

Currently re-reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Didn’t like it in high school but now it’s one of my favorites.
I am also reading This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. Climate by Naomi Klein. Not that I agree with everything so far in this book but I think it is important to read perspectives other my own (note - not starting a PWI discussion here).
Edit: Forgot I am also reading Ronnie Coleman’s “Yeah Buddy”, interesting but the writing is pretty bad.

I want to read this book, but for whatever reason, the 2 or 3 times I started, I get about 10 pages in then switch to something else. Someday…someday

I haven’t had success with Conrad, either. Same thing. Just…can’t.

Ah. I more read into it her complete dependence on the awesome dad, and her loss of everything safe in the loss of him, which came fairly early in the book.

But I suppose yes, it was touching. I think we all know that I’m into everything human, though, so no surprise we’d experience it differently.

1 Like

He writes like a high school student trying to impress an English teacher… or some non native English speaker who discovered the use of complex sentences and a thesaurus

1 Like

That’s how I felt the first time. It’s tough but getting deep into the story and really thinking about is what helps me.
And when you finally meet Kurtz…

It’s from the romantic period. All the stories read like that from that era. The one I can’t get through is “Last of the Mohicans”

And that’s why I’ve tried those 2 or 3 times …