What Are You Eating?

This is just out of curiosity… With my upcoming bout later this month, my coach wants me to “Clean up my diet”. Personally, I feel as though I eat pretty clean as it is.

So, the question I pose to all of you Combat Sport participants… what are you eating?

A day in my own diet goes something like this:

4:30am - HR Extreme
5:30am - Rapid Recovery drink
6 am - Bowl of oatmeal w/ fruit of some sort
11am - HR Extreme
Noon - Ham/Turkey on Rye w/ swiss. Lettuce, tomato, mustard, salt/pepper
3pm - Boneless chicken breast and almonds
6pm - Steak and vegetables
9pm - 1 cup cottage cheese

Ummm, yeah you are already eating pretty clean. Maybe he wants you to reduce calories?

[quote]elano wrote:
Ummm, yeah your already eating pretty clean. Maybe he wants you to reduce calories?[/quote]

Maybe… But I’m already 2 lbs under weight… unless he’s worried about me ballooning up at the last minute.

I have training this afternoon with him, so I really need him to elaborate.

I apologize if this question seems hasty, I’m just very, very antsy about this upcoming fight.

[quote]eitelmj wrote:

So, the question I pose to all of you Combat Sport participants… what are you eating?

[/quote]

What I eat?

Pussy mostly, tongue a lil butt if she’s down with that…

that said you’re eating pretty clean. maybe you need to talk to your coach and ask him to be clearer about what he wants you to accomplish. “Clean up your diet” is kinda arbitrary. Maybe he means he was hoping you’d be leaner. And if you’re underweight maybe you need to eat a little heartier or something.

I think you should talk to your coach not us, we can’t read his mind :slight_smile:

Just some thoughts.
You seem to be eating pretty healthy

Cold cuts are not really clean-
yes they are somewhat low-fat
but they are usually heavily processed full
of salt and preservatives.

I would add far more vegetables particularly
greens like spinach and suggest
to swap the cold cuts with some fish, chicken
maybe a sweet potatoe

but this might be really restrictive compared to your normal eating ?

kmc

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
eitelmj wrote:

What I eat?

[/quote]

Then give her the shocker!!!

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
eitelmj wrote:

What I eat?

that said you’re eating pretty clean. maybe you need to talk to your coach and ask him to be clearer about what he wants you to accomplish.

“Clean up your diet” is kinda arbitrary. Maybe he means he was hoping you’d be leaner. And if you’re underweight maybe you need to eat a little heartier or something.

I think you should talk to your coach not us, we can’t read his mind :)[/quote]

I agree talk to your coach find out his full intentions.
I see nothing wrong with your diet so ask him for explicit instructions.

Other than that.
just remember theres no time in a ring to fight out of your head.
You cant think,everything has to be a reaction to the other guys reactions.

you trained for this you will be fine just relax.

IMO, clean means not processed. So nothing that comes in a box, bag and in most cases, can, etc. Fresh fruit, fresh (in season) veggies, brown rice, lean cuts of meat; preferably range fed, hormone-fee chicken and beef, wild-caught, not previously frozen fresh fish. No white flour, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no soda, no booze. Olive oil only.

If you want “cold cuts” then buy a whole chicken (or turkey), roast it, then carve it up. Ditto with steak. Yeah, it’s a pain in the ass at first and expensive, but once it’s a way of life it gets a lot easier. I’ve been eating like this for almost 30 years. I don’t know any different anymore. And yeah, I’ll down an occasional glass of wine and/or pastry, but certainly not enough to count.

Ask your coach what he means, then do it.

Cappy

I would add
16 ounces (220 or so cal) of fruit juice+8grames or so of protein before each workout

and 16 ounces of juice, 23grames of protein, and some electrolytes right after you work out (no more then 45min)

this will help with muscle glycogen levels and protein synthesis, and its cheap.

Your diet seems really short on carbs. I know know, everyone hates carbs… but at the end of the day its where glycogen comes from, unless your an eskimo. Calories in calories out.

well what is your body composition like? Height, weight, bf%?

I agree with the above posters, ask your coach to elaborate. Does he know what your meal plan looks like?

Maybe he thinks your performance isnt where it should be and is attributing that to unclean eating when really you just arent eating enough.