T Nation

What Are You Doing Now?

Since there is not one in this forum I figured I would start it. What are you doing now? What routine/split and what does your food intake/macro split look like?

Myself, after a few years of having to stay at a certain level of leanness I will be switching over to gaining muscle as fast and smart as possible. At the moment I am following a push/pull/legs routine with no days off but, will be starting BBB in about a week. My calorie intake is about 4200 daily. I am still playing around with macros since I have not really eaten large amount of carbs for quite sometime but, have been bumping them up almost daily.

Gave up idea of competing. Wanted to do the Hercules this Spring but realized competing isn’t compatible with how my life is going. Might do Crossfit with my woman for a few months (at a place that also focuses on strength). Gonna do a few mud runs too, like Spartan and Zombie.

Whew, no days off? You’re a trooper, sir.

Currently, I’m about 8-10 weeks out from finishing getting really lean. I’ve never gotten shredded and wanted to get as lean as possible before dedicating some serious time to food, big weights and focusing on size for a substantial amount of time.

Currently my split is a modified 4-way whose frequency keeps getting upped due to weird things happening. Idealogically, the current split is:

1 - Legs / Calves / Light Abs (Hammies or Quad focus for that day rotates every other session,)
2 - Tris / Bis
3 - Off / Cardio
4 - Chest / Medial+Front Delts / Heavy Abs
5 - Back / Rear Delts
6 - Off / Cardio

Repeat. The diet is going very well but my strength is embarrassingly lacking and I’m ready to start feeling strong(ish) again.

This is my newest plan. I’ve been using CT’s Ramp, Cluster, & Hypo method on the first exercise per day for about a week and I’m really liking it. It’s the first I’ve used cluster sets and It’s one of the tools I’ll keep for sure. The rest of the plan is my design and I’d be interested to hear any criticim. My goal # 1 goal is strength, and then I’d like to trim some fat and add some muscle size.

Monday
1.OHP: W1 (1R), W2 (3R), W3 (1R), etcâ?¦
a. Ramp: To max weight for 1 or 3 reps
b. Cluster: 3-5 sets @ 90% of ramp for max reps
c. Hyp: 2-5 sets @ 80% of ramp for max reps
2.DS Bar Rows: 3-4 sets for 12-15 reps
3.DS Bar OHP @ 50% of ramp (explosive), 2 sets for max reps (stop when bar speed slows)
4.Heavy bag, 6 rounds at 20:10 ratio

Tuesday
1.Conventional dead lift W1 (1R), W2 (3R), W3 (1R), etcâ?¦
a. Ramp: To max weight for 1-3 reps
c. Hyp: 2-5 sets @ 80 % of ramp for max reps
2.Chinese Pulls: 7-8 sets for 2 reps
3.Snatch Grip dead lift from pins: 4 sets for 6-8 reps

Wednesday (Light Arm Day: Biceps are a joke)
1.Light cardio (1-2 Miles)
2.BB Curls 3-4 sets for 8-12 reps
3.Triceps Push downs (using bands) â?? light work â?? 3-4 sets for 15-20 reps

Thursday
1.Flat Bench W1 (3R), W2 (1R), W3 (1R), etcâ?¦
2.Pull/Chin-ups: 5 sets for max reps
3.DS Bar Bench @ 50% of ramp (explosive), 2 sets for max reps (stop when bar speed slows)

Friday
1.Squat W1 (3R), W2 (1R), W3 (3R), etcâ?¦
2.DS bar squat to jump 4 sets for 8 reps
3.DS Bar (farmers) walk 4 sets (up/back of Driveway) - untimed
4.BW squats, 6 rounds at 20:10 ratio

Saturday
1.Cardio (sprints)

Sunday - Off

*Also I am limited on my equipment (home gym) so basically BB, DS BAR, Rack, 500 lbs of plates, rings, an 80lbs sand bag, and a treadmill.

Welp, I’m slowly trying to gain weight while not getting too fat. So hopefully I can put on some quality weight, where I could cut a bit this fall and compete in a local Physique show. Right now I’m 6’2", and 190-195 lbs. Not really that lean, avi is current, so whatever that looks like. lol

I did BBB for 3-4 months straight and got my best results lifting wise, so used it’s principles and combined it in a way with Layne Norton’s PHAT Routine. Looks like this:

Monday: Chest/Back/Tris/Bis
5 sets, 4-7 reps, 90s rest

Tuesday: Quads/Hams/Delts/Abs/Calves
Same as Monday

Wednesday: Off or Cardio

Thursday: Chest/Back/Tris/Bis
4 sets, 8-11 reps, 2 min rest

Friday: Quads/Hams/Delts/Abs/Calves
3 sets, 12-15reps, 2:30 rest

Saturday: Chest/Back/Tris/Bis
Same as Friday

Sunday: Off or Cardio

Really liking it so far. Definitely unorthodox, but really works for me. I only one lift per day for each body part, and rotate between 2 that I feel actually work for me. So it’s kind of DC’ish in that respect.

Diet, Macros are roughly 450g C/ 220g P/ 100g F right now. Kind of CBL, though I’m not anal about when I eat carbs (time of day), more so just keep them until intra and PWO. Including Carbs + BCAA’s intra-WO recently has been amazing for energy and performance in the gym.

Been dieting slowly since November from this to my avatar (taken last month).

Stil got a bit to go as I wish to enter a mens health cover model comp this year, not bodybuilding I know but a reasonable goal for my age and how long I have been training as well as considering previous winners.

Train mountain dog, fasted cardio in the morning and macros are 1900kcal training days and rest days (just switch carbs for fats and protein)

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Welp, I’m slowly trying to gain weight while not getting too fat. So hopefully I can put on some quality weight, where I could cut a bit this fall and compete in a local Physique show. Right now I’m 6’2", and 190-195 lbs. Not really that lean, avi is current, so whatever that looks like. lol

I did BBB for 3-4 months straight and got my best results lifting wise, so used it’s principles and combined it in a way with Layne Norton’s PHAT Routine. Looks like this:

Same as Monday

Same as Friday

Really liking it so far. Definitely unorthodox, but really works for me. I only one lift per day for each body part, and rotate between 2 that I feel actually work for me. So it’s kind of DC’ish in that respect.

Diet, Macros are roughly 450g C/ 220g P/ 100g F right now. Kind of CBL, though I’m not anal about when I eat carbs (time of day), more so just keep them until intra and PWO. Including Carbs + BCAA’s intra-WO recently has been amazing for energy and performance in the gym. [/quote]

It’s mental how weight can greatly differ between body types, I was 196lbs at my heaviest (with the fat) and the same height as you!

and I don’t even wanna share how light I am now haha

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Same as Monday

Same as Friday

Diet, Macros are roughly 450g C/ 220g P/ 100g F right now. Kind of CBL, though I’m not anal about when I eat carbs (time of day), more so just keep them until intra and PWO. Including Carbs + BCAA’s intra-WO recently has been amazing for energy and performance in the gym. [/quote]

It’s mental how weight can greatly differ between body types, I was 196lbs at my heaviest (with the fat) and the same height as you!

and I don’t even wanna share how light I am now haha[/quote]

Yeah I try to let the scale just be like any measure of progress and not get caught up with it, but it’s difficult. lol. I’ve already come to terms that I will be quite light if I have to get ‘Physique show lean’, so I try not to think about it too much.

I do hope I can get north of 205+ lbs staying as lean as I am now at least before I diet down though

Rattlehead, you’re rocking the serious Scottish tan there mate… I’m Scottish too so it’s not racist if I say it.

I am currently doing a 5 day split with weekends off which looks like

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Shoulders

I do a bit of lateral delt work on chest day, and I train rear delts on back day too. Shoulders are a chronic weak point so they need extra volume. They’re starting to catch up a bit but keep getting injured so I dunno, I might have to rethink things.

I’ve been doing Mountaindog style training and it’s the terrier’s testicles. Pre-exhausting is both horrible and amazing at the same time. Kinda like that box thing from Hellraiser. Feels good to really push for the pump, I used to just always do lower rep stuff.

Diet wise I’ve jumped back on the IF/carb backloading bandwagon to do a bit of a recomp. Don’t count calories, don’t carb up much most days but carb up quite heavily the night before leg day, and have one cheat meal a week. Only thing I really monitor is protein intake which I try to keep at 180g - 200g.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Rattlehead, you’re rocking the serious Scottish tan there mate… I’m Scottish too so it’s not racist if I say it.

I am currently doing a 5 day split with weekends off which looks like

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Shoulders

I do a bit of lateral delt work on chest day, and I train rear delts on back day too. Shoulders are a chronic weak point so they need extra volume. They’re starting to catch up a bit but keep getting injured so I dunno, I might have to rethink things.

I’ve been doing Mountaindog style training and it’s the terrier’s testicles. Pre-exhausting is both horrible and amazing at the same time. Kinda like that box thing from Hellraiser. Feels good to really push for the pump, I used to just always do lower rep stuff.

Diet wise I’ve jumped back on the IF/carb backloading bandwagon to do a bit of a recomp. Don’t count calories, don’t carb up much most days but carb up quite heavily the night before leg day, and have one cheat meal a week. Only thing I really monitor is protein intake which I try to keep at 180g - 200g.
[/quote]

Savage ginger genetics haha.

Have you considered maybe grouping chest and shoulders together at the beginning of the week and then doing a pump only day for shoulders on friday?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
Have you considered maybe grouping chest and shoulders together at the beginning of the week and then doing a pump only day for shoulders on friday?
[/quote]

that’s actually pretty much what I’m doing. I train lateral delts at the end of chest day (Mondays), rear delts on back day (Tuesday) then train them both again on Friday, with a bit of mid/lower trap work to try and get my shoulders healthy.

All my shoulder work is “pump” work because they’re so fragile

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
[/quote]

that’s actually pretty much what I’m doing. I train lateral delts at the end of chest day (Mondays), rear delts on back day (Tuesday) then train them both again on Friday, with a bit of mid/lower trap work to try and get my shoulders healthy.

All my shoulder work is “pump” work because they’re so fragile
[/quote]

How is it you have such shoulder problems?

I’ve been forced to train at home this past year with limited equip. I’ve been doing a two day split
day 1
bench
facepull
db curl

day 2
clean
front squat
bent row

I ramp the bench up in 5s till i can’t get 5, than do a couple high rep sets on way down, face pulls are done agaist the wall with a strap,these and curls are done 10-20reps I train this as a tri-set,6-7sets
Day 2 are complexs, leaves me winded, this is all I’ve been doing for 9 mths, after 15 years training basicly as a power BBer, my upper body looks better than ever, my legs suffered a bit, I’m allowed to go back to the gym next week,but I’m going to have to change the way I’ve always trained,this little routine has done wonders, I guess we never stop learning, and thinking outside the box is good. 2cents

At the moment, I only have two 20kg dumbells so im doing:

Clean and press 3 x 10

Clap pushups 4 x 10 (and woring to 4 x 20)

Just ordered a pullup bar cause I miss pullups

squats - 3 x 10

Curls 3 x 10

rows 1 set to failure

Running about 4 times aweek (nothing crazy, just and easy mile and sometimes i sprint and walk between lamposts for about a mile and half)

Had too much work (essays and exams) to really focus on anything in particular lately so i just do all this whenever, sone days i might just do pushups and a run, other days i might do loads.

I’ve been doing some type of superset DC training. Superset all exercises for a body part, big rest, repeat for 3 sets

MON:
Back
Compound movement 6 reps
lesser compound 10 reps
Iso movement 15 reps

Biceps
BB curls x 6
Incline DB curls x 10
Hammer curls x 15

TUES: OFF

WED:
Chest/Tri’s

THURS:
Quads/Hams/Calves

FRI:
OFF/Whatever I feel like

SAT:
Shoulders/abs

SUN:
Snowboard

I have started doing fasted morning walks with BCAA’s as well as HIIT after I lift a few days a week. Currently eating ~3000 calories with my carbs at breakfast and peri-workout.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
How is it you have such shoulder problems? [/quote]

lol, if you think my shoulders are bad, you should see my back!

As for why my shoulders are banged up, I think it’s because I spent my childhood playing computer games when I should’ve been playing sports, then spent my teens hunched over musical instruments.

I had worse posture than quasimodo, then when I took up weight training all I did was bench bench bench.

As a result I fucked up my RC on both shoulders. It’s not really so bad, I just have to be very conscious of it when I train and do lots of shoulder health stuff every workout.

Meadows’ training has been a godsend. Pre-exhausting my chest with a pec deck before pressing has my shoulders pressing pain free for I think the first time ever.

If you have any problems pressing I highly recommend it.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

As for why my shoulders are banged up, I think it’s because I spent my childhood playing computer games when I should’ve been playing sports, then spent my teens hunched over musical instruments.

I had worse posture than quasimodo, then when I took up weight training all I did was bench bench bench.

As a result I fucked up my RC on both shoulders. It’s not really so bad, I just have to be very conscious of it when I train and do lots of shoulder health stuff every workout.

Meadows’ training has been a godsend. Pre-exhausting my chest with a pec deck before pressing has my shoulders pressing pain free for I think the first time ever.

If you have any problems pressing I highly recommend it.[/quote]

Sucks man, hope you make your shoulders a healthy strongpoint soon!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

If you have any problems pressing I highly recommend it.[/quote]

Sucks man, hope you make your shoulders a healthy strongpoint soon!
[/quote]

thanks man, it’s a work in progress

Doing sheiko…on my second run of the 29 cycle. Ran my first cycle and now did some alterations. It looks like this:

Mon:

Sheiko work
Light RDLs (mostly for a stretch…my hamstrings are fucked)
Front squat holds and back squat holds…get the back and glutes tight and hold the weight on your abs.

Wed:

Front squats: 5 4 3 2 1 ramping to a single.
Deadlifts: 8/6/4/2/1/1/1 again ramping to a single. I’ve switched to conventional and need a lot of reps to practice my horrible form (again, my hamstrings are fucked)
Sheiko bench work
Back work (t bar rows, Kroc rows, cable rows for a stretch)

Fri:
Sheiko work
Military press 5x5
Some tricep work if I feel like it

Sun:
BTN push presses for triples doubles or singles.
Some more back work…power cleans or shrugs…snatch grip btn presses. Basically this is my day to fuck around. I want to try to start doing more explosive work here.

Also trying to add small amounts of conditioning on morning off days. Oh and I always have some kind of bench assistance but vary it on what I’m feeling.

Since October I have been doing a 5 day split, which has given me some nice strength and muscle gains.
Been trying to “ramp” all movements and hit a top set to failure in rep ranges varying from 4-8 and 8-12.
Then doing a few exercises for the “pump”. (Leg Extensions, pushdowns, concentrated curls, flies etc).

This has worked well, but some muscles wouldn’t grow as fast as others. So to get my arms to start growing I also incorporated 1 day in the week where I’d throw in some exercises and try increase the poundage for Biceps+Triceps. Then on “arm day” I wouldn’t count sets/reps and just go for the biggest pump. Which has given me some success and my arms then started to grow again.

My split is pretty simple:
Monday: Legs+Calves
Tuesday: Chest+Triceps
Wednesday: Back+Biceps
Thursday: REST
Friday: Shoulders
Saturday: Arms+Calves
Sunday: REST

When this stops being as effective, I’d like to try a PUSH/PULL/LEGS split and train the muscles more frequently. (Twice a week instead of once). But my main priority is fixing my Diet by cutting the crap and adding in some good quality foods.