What Are You Currently Reading?

There’s a thread like this on another board I post on, thought it’d be interesting to see what folks around here are reading.

Me:

Strange Defeat, Marc Bloch.

About why France fell to the Wehrmacht so quickly in 1940, by a French academic who served in both World Wars and was executed for his role in the Resistance a week after D-Day. Well-written, and I like his perspective as a staff officer during the disaster, but not too far in yet.

Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain

Just finished this today, very funny book, by a New York chef about all the fuckups and lunatics he’s dealt with in his twenty-five years in the business. Highly recommend it if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant.

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Think MAS*H, but book. And not the Korean War, but WWII.

Physics book
Organic Chem book.
Reviewing the fuckton of books I had to read for English.

…exams suck.

Hide and Seek and Lifeguard by James Patterson. After that I’m gonna read Step on a Crack, and than go back into the Alex Cross series.

once exams are over I’m starting ‘Lolita’ recommended to me from a friend and I’ve heard its good book.

Al Qaeda - by Jason Burke

If you want to know the facts about Islamic terrorists, Bin Laden and the middle east and cut through the BS you see on TV then read this book

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:

Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain

Just finished this today, very funny book, by a New York chef about all the fuckups and lunatics he’s dealt with in his twenty-five years in the business. Highly recommend it if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant.[/quote]

I’ve been working as a busser for a few months now, and I think I may have to give that one a read.

Currently: Why I am not a Christian by Bertrand Russell

I agree with some of his critisisms of the church, but overall I think his tone is a little too spiteful to be taken too seriously, and all his ideas about religion being the product of hatred are too black and white.

We just read books 1 and 4 of the Aeneid in latin, and I’d like to get through some more of it during christmas break if I have the discepline.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Physics book
Organic Chem book.
Reviewing the fuckton of books I had to read for English.

…exams suck. [/quote]

Although i’ve never taken o-chem, even the books for those classes look pretty scary. good luck.

Dogs of God, a book on the Spanish Inquisition, the Moors and Columbus.

Also, Plato’s Republic.

Lots of boring Law textbooks too.

M.F.K Fisher, The Art of Eating.

Freedom and Capitalism by Milton Friedman.

I just finished Greenspan’s book, and it was really good. I highly reccomend it.

Marketing Management. Soon I’ll have time for pleasure reading again.

Just finished yesterday The Crying of Lot 49.

About a woman named executrix of a past fling’s estate. She, by accident, stumbles upon a secret, underground mail service that goes back hundreds of years and seems to have been a key player in both the fall of the Holy Roman Empire and the French Revolution. As she follows the clues in an attempt to piece the whole story together, she’s faced with murder, anarchists, a crazy playwright, her crazy psychiatrist and LSD. Simple plot but difficult to understand, if that makes sense. It’s a really short novel and a good read.

I’ve also been working my way through a history of philosophy that spans the time from the Milesians to Marcus Aurelius.

Next up is Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury.

Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado

“Ten Who Dared” by Desmond Wilcox

Picked it up on one of many racks giving away free books in Afghanistan. Thought it would be about war but have found out it is about famous explorers. Pretty decent but simple. More for the highschool aged reader.

“The Secret”

…hey, Brittany Spears recommends it so you know its a page turner.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
“The Secret”

…hey, Brittany Spears recommends it so you know its a page turner.[/quote]

It’s a Rosicrucian/Kabbalistic rip off for profit.

Farenheit 451…really enjoyed it. Gave me a bit of a kick up the arse.