T Nation

What Are the 'Must-Have' Supplements?

that you’d recommend for someone who wants to keep it simple?

I’ve heard good things about creatine, and the Vitamin World at my local mall carries a sublingual version of it that I think I’ll go with, but aside from creatine, What are some good suggestions?

I hear about whey protein this, coq10 that, and so on, and frankly it can get pretty confusing.

Right now, I’m just taking a multivitamin every day, along with some glucosamine chewables and fish oil.

What else is good?

Using the search function is good, no it’s great, because this is one of the most asked questions and has already been very thoroughly answered.

I’ll avoid the all-mighty ‘use the search’ response since I am bored at the moment and like to talk, whether it needs to be heard or not.

Must-Haves for me are deficiency avoiding ones; Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Zinc (Unless my diet is high in meat), and then creatine, whey, and choline.

Any goals?

The sub-lingual creatine, in my opinion and according to articles I have read, is a sham. I would stick with micronized creatine.

Christopher

UDO’s Choice Oil instead of regular off the shelf fish oil, a regular multi twice a day (morning/night), regular microionized creatine (30 min pre workout w/fruit yogurt or something sugary), vitamin D3, post workout protein (I like Cytogain with a tbsp of UDO’s), fiber lots of fiber 30-40g/day, ummmmm…search engine… What are your goals bro? Maybe I could recommend something more specific besides general nutrition stuff.

To keep things ‘simple’ as you put it,… (in regards to bodybuilding, not overall health)

I would suggest a decent protein powder (probably whey, which can be used straight PWO, and with other foods to slow absorption at other times of the day), and either creatine, or fish oils depending on overall goals (creatine for strength gains and ability to create a more favorable hypertophic environment, and fish oils for fat loss, and overall body recomposition).

S

+1 to Silverhydra.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

Must-Haves for me are deficiency avoiding ones; Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Zinc (Unless my diet is high in meat), and then creatine, whey, and choline.[/quote]

Basically you should be trying to get what you cant get otherwise. Quality fish oil (not the garbage in canned tuna/salmon) is hard to come by in a diet, as well as many vitamins and nutrients like the above mentioned. I take quite a few different supps right now, but if I had to scale back for some reason, whey and fish oil (as Stu mentioned) would be among the last to go. Thus I would put those at the top in terms of “must-haves.”

I’ll avoid the all-mighty ‘use the search’ response since I am bored at the moment and like to talk, whether it needs to be heard or not.

Must-Haves for me are deficiency avoiding ones; Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Zinc (Unless my diet is high in meat), and then creatine, whey, and choline.[/quote]

never heard of choline, what is it & what does it do?

For keeping it simple, its all about the foundations of good sleep, actual food and breakfast…etc…stuff everyone knows…blah blah

Dan John’s articles and website id full of the ‘simple’ ideas. That and the 80-20 rule.

[quote]Kerley wrote:

never heard of choline, what is it & what does it do?[/quote]

Firstly, choline is abundant in eggs, so you can just eat a shit-ton of them.

From what I have heard, it is a ‘vitamin-like compound’ (as it can be synthesized in the body) that is used in a lot of bodily reactions. It is also pretty nice for liver health and neurological health, and I believe it can serve as a methyl-donor (which I really have no clue what the hell that means, but apparently it’s good).

Also, I learned a little fact that the body makes choline at a certain level, and when you ingest choline serum levels go up, apparently when serum levels get past a certain point (140 is coming to mind, not sure about units) the excess goes to your brain, where it can help with acetylcholine production. (For this reason, I pulse choline between meals; surprisingly good for exam time albeit not too cost-effective)

But any ‘cholinergic’ compound does much of the same; Alpha-GPC, DMAE, Choline, Centrophenoxine, they’re all just ways of getting choline into the body.

Tl;dr: Liver health and brain health, possibly more that I am not read up on. Shit be cheap too.

Addendum:

If anyone can give a run-down of what the hell methyl-donors are meant for, it would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile: