What Are Some Part Time Jobs To Build Interpersonal Skills?

I was thinking cashier or server. Any other ideas?

Also would be worthwhile reading How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie several times, I have the book just never put a plan into action yet.

I do possess leadership skill, I’m just not where I want to be as far as charisma is concerned.

Sales. Somewhere that you’re ultimately the customer’s bitch. It’s a good way to learn to mind your tongue and interact with people who care only about themselves.

OR you could work on active listening and paying attention to what people say and what they want. Sounds dumb, but people love to talk about themselves, and they’ll love you if you listen to them. The book you mentioned says this.

Solid choice in books - i recommend readingit a few times over the years.

P.S everyone has “leadership skills” until put into a leadership role… be prepared to not be prepared for that.

2 Likes

Sales. I sold phones and it’s an incredibly valuable skill I still use as a consultant.

2 Likes

If cashiering is still how it was when i did it, most people barely even acknowledge you’re a human being, lol.
Don’t get much out of that.

2 Likes

Not tree cutting or welding.

4 Likes

I knew a guy named Larry (construction inspector), who would cut trees for extra cash. He was cool, but also kinda racist…he said Egyptian and foreigners are the worst kind of people to work with.

1 Like

I know Larry! At least 5 or 6 of him anyways.

Reflective communication is a great skill when wotking with others.

1 Like

Me too! Installed my cable.

3 Likes

Some nationalities aren’t great to work with. No hate, just too big of a gap regarding culture, expectations, and values.

I second the no to cashiering. I tried to be be friendly to people - “Hi, how are you doing today?” and most people won’t even look up from their phone to respond. Very little opportunity to socialize there. And usually the management sucks.

I’ve never been in sales but I’ve done customer service. Same thing that was mentioned with sales - you’re there to serve someone else. It helps to be friendly and make them like you. You learn how to make them feel like you care about them (maybe you actually do), stuff like that.

Real life experience beats books, in my opinion. Personally never got much out of motivational/leadership books but if others recommend one it’s probably good.

Biggest thing is to just be friendly. Ask people about themselves and learn how to listen. Abraham Lincoln said the best way to persuade a man of your position is to first convince him that you are his friend. Make people feel liked and cared about and you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

Absolutely counter productive to any lifting aspirations if pursued full time, but I was a bartender at a hotel in my late teens/early 20’s and that really is a job where you aren’t left with much choice but to develop interpersonal skills, and pretty damn quickly too. Good point above different cultures sometimes being difficult to work with, but ime at least it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’m in the UK and worked with a lot of French, Germans, Swiss, Italians, eastern Europeans…

Given the tipping culture in the State’s, you’ll make plenty of extra cash too.

2 Likes

@Andrewgen_Receptors @dchris
Does Retail Sales count or is that something different

Sure, if you insist on it.

In reality though, I think you could work on these skills in everyday interactions just as well. Wouldn’t hurt for some extra coin, but seems pretty over-the-top IMO.

2 Likes

It is over the top, but that’s the idea, the more the merrier.

1 Like

Personal training. You’re basically “on” for an hour straight, every hour on the hour. You also have to learn how to coach and teach a pretty diverse range of people effectively while also making them actually want to spend a few hours with you each week.

I’m naturally very introverted, but a decade in the fitness industry turned me into someone who can comfortably sit in a room with almost anyone and be fairly confident that they’re going to have a favorable opinion of me by the time we part ways. It is hard to overstate how valuable that has been in my personal and professional life outside of fitness.

2 Likes

Bartender or bouncer will get you a wide range of experience navigating many different situations.

Most interactions are positive but handling upset people and getting better control of my own reactions to stressful situations has been a big benefit to my professional life.

The bullshit you deal with from Lenny in engineering is a piece of cake compared to a drunk idiot trying to smash your face. I’ve been able to avoid so much negativity and drama at my white collar job since becoming a calmer person in stressful situations.

Bar work also hones your bullshit detector.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed this trait among people that have or seem to have a lot of friends. It doesn’t take them long to be friendly with people that others would still think of as strangers. They talk to people they hardly know as if they’ve been friends since childhood.

I think many people fear that others will think they are weirdos if they do this. I think that isn’t true very often though. I could be off though. You may be able to get away with this in my state (Minnesota), but kicked out of the bar in the north east haha.

I’ve observed this with Schwarzenegger. Many people comment that meeting him wasn’t like meeting a celebrity. He talks to new people like they are already his friend.

I like the quote by Lincoln.

1 Like

Some of the best advice I’ve received in business is that it’s usually better to be liked than to be right. I probably lost out on some good opportunities in my 20’s because I was intent on being right, because I often was, technically-speaking. The problem was with how I went about being right, which resulted in me not being liked by people I should have made it a priority to be liked by.

For evidence of this, you can check out some of my PWI posts.

2 Likes