What are Some of Your Favorite Unconventional Exercises?

I had to look that up, but it appears so. And I thought I was clever

2 Likes

Reverse band smith squats done properly, with feet slightly in front of centre of mass. Basically replicates a hack squat

I like doing Board Pushups. Pushups down to different boards to limit the ROM and change the focus of the move.

I also like Isometric Deadlifts so I can practice straining in that “lift off the floor” position without blowing up my back.

How do you do a landmine curl?

I like landmine floor press for upper chest
Lights it up and no risk on shoulders like neck press

Landmine lateral raises are also great due to rigid form preventing cheating

Add in high rep landmine hack squats

Landmine attachment is a great tool for a home gym
So many options

Kinda like this guy does here:

Can also do like this, as shown by in a T-nation article.

I haven’t tried these yet, but I will.

YES! I also do them with my back against a Bosu Ball for extra ROM.

Decline (~20-30 deg) guillotines. I don’t do them anymore, because shoulders. But I’m here to tell you, there is no better exercise for building the upper (yes, upper) pecs.

1 Like

I am unsure how much of this post is serious, and how much is comedy.

LOL I know right, Landmine chest press on a Bosu Ball sounds ridiculous. I’m aware.

How about Dumbbell chest press on a Bosu Ball.

Hey, I know what you’re thinking, but without a bench I had to improvise.

1 Like

I like to curl in the squat rack. I find the pump is better in there and everybody’s evil stares helps keep my intensity up.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that’s not unconventional, at all. I see more people curling in the squat rack than, say, front squatting.

How do you like the Power Keg? I have his Stone of Steel on order (should be here next month).

It’s a solid product and does exactly what it needs to do. I’m a little miffed that it took FOREVER for me to get mine. The Stone of Steel was the same way. It seems like every Mike Bartos product I buy comes with a free sob story about why it’s running late. Also, the loading pin is tilted, which is annoying. I can’t tell if it wasn’t welded properly or what, but it results in the pin being off center, which means I have to set the locking mechanism JUST right to get it to seal, and that can be annoying. But I don’t notice any of that once it’s set up and good to go.

Titan released their own version very recently. Looks a bit on the thin side, but price is right of course.

1 Like

My gym loaded up on Titan stuff at the beginning of the year. Some of it is alright, but their hip belt squat machine literally flexes and creaks while you use it, their reverse hyper rattles like it’s about to fall apart, and their adjustable bench seems to weigh about 20 pounds and makes alarming snapping sounds if you’re pressing any pair of dumbbells over 80 pounds. Their barbells and stuff have been perfectly fine though. I guess it’s a get-what-you-pay-for kind of thing, as with most things.

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely a poor choice for a commercial gym. They are a purely home gym set up.

1 Like

That’s something I didn’t even think about, for some reason. The amount of wear and tear of people just filtering through constantly and using them for 12 hours a day would wreck them 10x faster than a home gym.

1 Like

Thanks for the review. Based on that and assuming that I will be satisfied with the Stone of Steel (that hopefully won’t take too long to arrive), I think the Power Keg will be my next big investment. That being said, that’s a little annoying that the loading pin is off kilter, especially considering the price tag.

The only Titan product I have is their crash pads, and they’re very good (they were highly recommended, even by people who have sworn-off Titan). I’ve heard and read so many negative reviews about most of their stuff that I would rather spend a little more for better quality.

1 Like

My titan log has held up very well, I’ve never dropped it from overhead though. Only complaint is the handles are chunky but I guess that’s an advantage because every other log feels much easier.

My favorite unconventional exercise would be loaded carries in general. I usually do farmers but get a lot out of sandbags and zercher yoke when I throw them in.

1 Like

An unconventional exercise I’ve been tinkering with is yoke overhead press. It’s very cumbersome, and I have to warm-up with a different OH variation since the starting weight of my Rogue yoke is 185#.

2 Likes

Push ups using a 2x4 for a lever longer than the length of my body to increase the difficulty. Increase the length of the lever for progressive overload. It also increases the difficulty for the core.

I’m having a very difficult time picturing what you’re describing here, can you explain a bit more?