T Nation

What are Some of Your Favorite Unconventional Exercises?

I don’t think I saw anyone else respond to this question. Personally, I would agree that it’s a decent substitution for a reverse flye, since they both challenge the fully-shortened position of the rear delt.

Something I’ve been really liking for real delts is a cable reverse flye where:

• You stand facing the cable, side-on to the stack. This way, the cable is pulling your arm across your body, rather than forward
  • You internally rotate the shoulder and pronate, so your palm is facing away from you and the cable stack
  • The cable is anchored at around shoulder height so you’re pulling horizontally

That and rear delt swings light me up

2 Likes

Hey thanks man! Unfortunately, all I have are dumbbells for now. I might do those bent over too instead of standing up as Jeff Cavalier does. Also gonna give DB flyes another go

Kinda having a hard time picturing this in my head though

I’ll be going to the gym later today, I’ll film it for you :+1:

1 Like

Try these. I never got anything out of rear delt flyes, but going 5-7x as heavy (20-30kg dumbbells) and doing intentional partials where you fight to control the weight gets me every time. I guess these are the kroc rows of the rear delt

1 Like

Yeah, John Meadows really advocates for that. Thanks!

That’s pretty interesting.

I wonder how that would work if the 2x4 were extended further beyond the feet and elevated?

Here you go:

Hope that made sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is definitely innovative and unconventional. I never would have thought about trying that. I’ll stick to wearing a weight vest and elevating my feet on a bench though :smile:.

1 Like

Like a lying vs bentover rear delt raise. Kewl!

Is that the new name for them? :slight_smile:

S

1 Like

PJR Pullovers are awesome for the long head of the triceps, if you’re doing them at a commercial gym you’ll just have to accept that everyone will think you have no idea how to do a pullover.

Lateral Raises with a pause halfway up. For anyone who has trouble “feeling” their side delts, this can really help - starting back after the pause really fires the muscle for that last little bit.

I also like taking an incline Bench at 45 degrees and putting the seat right in front of a cable attachment at the lowest setting and using it to do one arm cable preacher curls. You can dropset or just take them way past failure, using one finger from your other arm to assist when you fail initially.

I haven’t done them in a while, but seal rows are great too, just a pain to set up at most gyms.

Also, this might not be “unconventional”, but I’m the only one I see doing diamond pushups for tris. I like doing sets of tricep rope Extensions for 10-15 reps and immediately dropping down and doing diamond pushups to failure.

Not enough people do push-up variations in general.

2 Likes

I’m stealing plenty of these ideas.

Chest supported Dumbbell rows or shrugs, laying on an incline bench are great for mid back and those awesome mid trap muscles that stick out off your back.

Straight arm pulldowns, like a standing lat pullover are great too. A thick band hanging off the power rack is even better than a cable pulldown setup so they’re good for home-bros.

2 Likes

Love these!

S

1 Like

I used to think pushups were just some thing non-bodybuilders did but I’ll tell ya, they’re a staple for me simply in focusing On Shoulder stability issues.

S

2 Likes

Got some gymnastic rings recently. Thought I had good stability in my shoulders. Absolutely not the case. Ring press ups seem good, as ring dips are a bit precarious at the moment.

1 Like

Haven’t tried this yet, but it looks interesting enough

1 Like

I like behind the back deadlifts. I’ve yet to try Jefferson deadlifts.

But, unconventional, as far as this crowd goes? Headstands where I let my toes drop down to parallel or the ground. It’s my substitute for reverse hypers. Or maybe GHRs. I guess it’s called headstand pike?

That’s how I like to do my lying triceps extensions, but I roll it back behind my head farther.

…Which I just realized is basically just a PJR pullover.

1 Like

That’s clever. I can see how his approach would incorporate more of A powerlifting synergistic approach to moving the weight than a bodybuilding “target one muscle at a time” mentality. Swedes a smart guy.

(JG had posted some of Swede’s advice as his own “tips” online a while back until some knowledgeable power lifters called him on it -lol. Then he subtly credited him)

S