I thought it’d be fun to share some of our favorite unconventional exercises that for whatever reason are really effective at hitting a muscle group for us even if you would never really see them in a pre-designed program.
A few of mine to get the ball rolling:
- Pecs: plate squeeze, all I need are a pair of 10s. Especially great as a pre-fatigue exercise before any pressing.
- Delts: seated muscle snatch
- Upper back/rear delts: seal row w/ snatch-grip and elbows out OR landmine row with elbows out (think meadows row, only pulling it into your armpit instead of hip crease)
- Hammies: single-leg landmine RDLs (I don’t care that these were part of that whole functional training wave…I can really isolate my hams with them.)
- Glutes: reverse hyper on GHR machine (We don’t have a proper RH machine at my gym, so I do them on the GHR machine. Instead of adding weight I just tweak tempo, add iso holds, etc. to progress.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx-0vHJrfhA