T Nation

What are Shirts For?

I know that I am too new too lifting weights to use a bench shirt, but what is a bench shirt and how does it help ones bench? Also what are briefs and deadlift suits for? Can’t you just deadlift in sweat pants? Don’t flame.

I don’t know much about them other than they are used by powerlifters… Look in the Strength Sports Forum and they have a guide to powerlifting gear.

You don’t need them. They are supportive gear that pretects you/allows you to lift more weight than you could raw. You can deffinately do deads/squats/benches without suits and shirts.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
I know that I am too new too lifting weights to use a bench shirt, but what is a bench shirt and how does it help ones bench? Also what are briefs and deadlift suits for? Can’t you just deadlift in sweat pants? Don’t flame.[/quote]

Um it is used by powerlifters to up their lifts in competition. they train with them too but i wouldnt worry about that at ALL cause your just starting. yes deadlifting in sweat pants is fine haha

shirts/suits arent necessary if youre bodybuilding and wanna put up the weight to add mass. like zep and robinson said, unless youre competing and want to up your numbers, you dont need them at all

you can deadlift naked if you want.

But how exactly does a bench shirt help increase how much you can bench. Also how do special cloths help with deadlifts?

A bench shirt is made out of a non-stretch fabric that provides increased rebound off the chest at the bottom of the lift. Similar concepts with deadlift and squat suits.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
you can deadlift naked if you want.[/quote]

Unless you workout at a gym. Then it might not be a good idea. But I SUPPOSE you could deadlift naked at a gym, once. Before they kick you out.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
But how exactly does a bench shirt help increase how much you can bench. Also how do special cloths help with deadlifts?[/quote]

Bench shirts were originally designed in the early 80’s by John Inzer. Their original purpose was to protect the shoulders and delts by keeping the lifter tight or set. Pec tears are a common injury among powerlifters.

The “bounce” off of the chest was a side effect of the shirt and now used to increase the total even more.

Squat suits work similarly. They give a spring out of the hole. If you watch a video of someone wearing a squat suit, they appear to have to pull themselves down to the bar rather than lower their hips. Perhaps not the best wording but my own personal observations.