What are Respectable Measurements?

the question is stated above, i want leg, arms, chest and shoulders. for natural and non natural, we’ll also say there a male of average height 5’10-6’ and around 10-15% bodyfat.

respectable as in they’ve put a lot of blood sweat and tears into the iron game.

This is not so people can start limiting themselves to ah well T-Nation says a 18 inch bicep or 32 inch legs are impressive enough, this is maybe too get people motivated on a goal(not my own at the moment).

also can we please keep stupid responses and troll jobs out of this thread

That girl in your avatar has pretty respectable measurements IMO. Who is she?! I must know!

people need numbers for motivation ?

When people stop asking you IF you go the gym and start asking WHEN you go to the gym, you have made it.

Measurements mean very little because people “wear” different measurements differently. 16.5 inch guns on one guy might look just average on a 6’2" incher, but might look massive on a guy who is 5’6".

im sorry but i can’t even focus with that avatar going

FFS the avatar is one more comment away from gone, Lonnie that is true that is why i stipulated that the person was either 5’10 or 6ft

too be honest i started to get comments about becoming ‘tanky’(few girls said that) when mine were 16.5 and im at 6’2

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
FFS the avatar is one more comment away from gone, Lonnie that is true that is why i stipulated that the person was either 5’10 or 6ft

too be honest i started to get comments about becoming ‘tanky’(few girls said that) when mine were 16.5 and im at 6’2[/quote]

To be honest, after seeing your pictures it looks like you have way too much other stuff that needs work to be worrying about arm size.

p.s. If we all listened to what “a few girls said”, no one would weigh over 160 pounds. Girls think GQ models are jacked.

Here’s an honest thought (although I’m pretty sure this was already address in an earlier thread).

IN my own experience, an average height male, reaching 16" arms (as long as he’s not a fatty) look well above “athletic”. In fact, I’d say they are damn impressive. I’m only around 5’8/5’9, and when I hit 16" I felt okay saying that I was into bodybuilding (as opposed to “I try to stay in shape” -lol), without worrying about people laughing at me.

Of course height plays a big role as well. My younger brother is 6’/6’2 (I honestly can’t recall), and even when his arms taped 17.5, he looked athletic because he simply had more space between his elbow and shoulder to fill in.

When I hit 17", I thought I was a beast. WHen I hit 18", I didn’t even realize it, and my brother had to convince me that my arms had actually grown some more and I should break out the tape measure (I was fully content at 17" -lol). If everything fits together (you have traps, shoulders and upper back thickness) hell yeah you’re gonna look like a “tank”. I f-ing love that expression, makes me wanna really tear things up!

S

Op, you need a lot more mass all over…
220 at 6feet2 isn’t all that much to begin with… That’s something like 170 or so at 5’10, (going by looks here).

At your height, your arms will likely have to be over 18 in order to look big relaxed.
More like 19, even.

You’re tall, you naturally need bigger arms than shorter guys.

(no offense, just being honest here)

Just make sure you don’t neglect any muscle-groups and get your poundages up big time.

And for your sake, don’t listen to pop-culture victimized girls, I agree with chitown34 on that one.

It’s first and foremost YOU who needs to like the way that YOU look, because the more comfortable you are with yourself, the more confident you will naturally be and appear… which in turn is more important for getting the girls than hoping that they like the way you look.

Good luck with your training, now go double your poundages.

#Edit: The 19 inch reference is for bodybuilders, obviously, not fitness models.

24" thighs
46" chest
16" arms

If you have these measurements and are 10% or less body fat you will likely get respect from men and appreciation from women. This is the point where you START to be impressive. This level is nice because it is probably a level where you will appeal to the most females.

That said individual genetics can make the appearance of a physique vary tremendously despite identical measurements.

One thing is for certain and that is that at higher levels of body fat you will not look impressive at this size.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:
24" thighs
46" chest
16" arms

If you have these measurements and are 10% or less body fat you will likely get respect from men and appreciation from women. This is the point where you START to be impressive. [/quote]

May be true at the beach, but with clothes on nobody will ask you if you lift. They may ask if you run or something if your waist is small.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Heliotrope wrote:
24" thighs
46" chest
16" arms

If you have these measurements and are 10% or less body fat you will likely get respect from men and appreciation from women. This is the point where you START to be impressive.

May be true at the beach, but with clothes on nobody will ask you if you lift. They may ask if you run or something if your waist is small.
[/quote]

Agreed. Unless you are very short, if your goal is to look impressive in clothes, get your arms closer to and over 17". 24" thighs are small.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Heliotrope wrote:
24" thighs
46" chest
16" arms

If you have these measurements and are 10% or less body fat you will likely get respect from men and appreciation from women. This is the point where you START to be impressive.

[/quote]

I agree, and I’ll add: As a bodybuilder, 16 inch arms are only good if you’re fairly short.
Even at 5’10, 16 inches are just another pair of arms… if you’re very lean and have good genetic muscle-bellies, then regular people will notice, of course, but seriously…
It’s just small.

I can add to this a little bit.

@ what i think CCarnage said about 6ft and 220lbs.

In an XL shirt (my size) 17" arms give or take an 1/8 at 6feet 209 and lean (don’t know bf% but have 6 visible abs) people know I’m a bodybuilder but from other bodybuilders I get little respect.

With the shirt off in these stats and people think I’m “Arnold” I get that a lot and when I go to the beach girls ask to grab my arms and stuff.

Height, weight, and especially bodyfat percentage play a huge role in what people think of how big you are.

a 6ft guy who is 210 at 6%bf will look bigger than a 6 ft guy who is 230 at 15% without clothes.

If we are talking in shirts, like I said at my stats people give me respect as far as being bigger than your average person (having a small waist and wide shoulders helps…vtaper)but I still think I need another 20lbs of lean muscle before I consider myself big. lol

In my avatar I’m 6ft 200lbs (roughly) and probably around 17in arms with a pump and all…don’t know the bf%.

DG

It’s been a few weeks since your arm size thread, and you’re still thinking about this?

Just get a mental image of what you want to look like and don’t stop until you get there. These measurements are pointless. Even on an average height person, 16 inch arms can look different on one person as compared to another of the same height.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
It’s been a few weeks since your arm size thread, and you’re still thinking about this?

Just get a mental image of what you want to look like and don’t stop until you get there. These measurements are pointless. Even on an average height person, 16 inch arms can look different on one person as compared to another of the same height.[/quote]

Why not just forget about all this bullshit and go double, better yet: triple his training weights… That will take care of any size issues and it will also take care of his eating, because you can’t get to a 500 lbs CGP for 10 reps without also eating a lot.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

In an XL shirt (my size) 17" arms give or take an 1/8 at 6feet 209 and lean (don’t know bf% but have 6 visible abs) people know I’m a bodybuilder but from other bodybuilders I get little respect.

With the shirt off in these stats and people think I’m “Arnold” I get that a lot and when I go to the beach girls ask to grab my arms and stuff.

Height, weight, and especially bodyfat percentage play a huge role in what people think of how big you are.

a 6ft guy who is 210 at 6%bf will look bigger than a 6 ft guy who is 230 at 15% without clothes.

If we are talking in shirts, like I said at my stats people give me respect as far as being bigger than your average person (having a small waist and wide shoulders helps…vtaper)but I still think I need another 20lbs of lean muscle before I consider myself big. lol

In my avatar I’m 6ft 200lbs (roughly) and probably around 17in arms with a pump and all…don’t know the bf%.

DG[/quote]

I meant 6’2’', I just wrote it in a funny way.
Also, I agree with you of course, but seriously… I’m thinking along the lines of the “Tank” look here man.

Hell, some people on this site thought that vin diesel was bigger than christian thibaudeau, so I think that we should all quietly ignore what non-lifters and men’s health readers think :wink:

Out of curiosity: How big would you like to be, Gerdy?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG

Also, I agree with you of course, but seriously… I’m thinking along the lines of the “Tank” look here man.

Hell, some people on this site thought that vin diesel was bigger than christian thibaudeau, so I think that we should all quietly ignore what non-lifters and men’s health readers think :wink:

[/quote]

Men’s health magazine and related pisses me off. lol

I want to win the Mr. O someday…so however big that takes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

Currently I’m trying to be 215-220 onstage at my next show in december. After this show I think I will take the following year off and do a serious bulk for the whole year. I think I’ll set a goal for myself and won’t let myself compete until I can hit 260 before a diet. I’m only 20 so time is still on my side for bodybuilding.

It all depends on this upcoming show and photoshoot I have planned for december. I have the possibility of getting signed with a fitness model agency that supports bodybuilding. I don’t think I will make that much money, but anything helps when it comes to sponsorship with bodybuilding. They will support my “get big” habit too, unlike most fitness model agencies that want you to look like a glorified abercrombie model. lol

DG

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Just get a mental image of what you want to look like and don’t stop until you get there. These measurements are pointless. Even on an average height person, 16 inch arms can look different on one person as compared to another of the same height.[/quote]

this thread isn’t about me or my goals. I already have my goals etched in my mind and am working towards them. Seems like 32+ inch thighs seems too be respected, what about forearm size?

and i agree with prof x 24 inch thighs are indeed tiny

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG

Men’s health magazine and related pisses me off. lol

I want to win the Mr. O someday…so however big that takes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

Currently I’m trying to be 215-220 onstage at my next show in december. After this show I think I will take the following year off and do a serious bulk for the whole year. I think I’ll set a goal for myself and won’t let myself compete until I can hit 260 before a diet. I’m only 20 so time is still on my side for bodybuilding.

It all depends on this upcoming show and photoshoot I have planned for december. I have the possibility of getting signed with a fitness model agency that supports bodybuilding. I don’t think I will make that much money, but anything helps when it comes to sponsorship with bodybuilding. They will support my “get big” habit too, unlike most fitness model agencies that want you to look like a glorified abercrombie model. lol

DG[/quote]

That’s interesting, I wish you luck with that agency!

I agree about not doing shows for a while and just focusing on getting bigger… Dieting down several times a year isn’t exactly helpful in one’s journey to the superheavies :wink: