What are Protein Powders Made of?

I have a debate going with my dad, he says I shouldnt use protein powders because it has chemicals and it will alter my metabolism. He said your trying to eat healthy and only eat natrual things, but you take shakes that are made unnatrualy.

This just made me laugh but I was wondering what protein shakes are acually made of. Things like whey and Metabolic Drive. Also what do I say to him to convince him hes wrong. Its not like he said I cant take him. I just want to win the arguement since I usually dont haha

Well, in a way your Dad is right, meaning you should focus more on whole food sources.
But, you’re also right, in a sense too. Also, shakes won’t mess up your metabolism.

whey is a by-product of the cheese process.
Casein (Metabolic Drive), is a milk protein.

both are as natural as cheese and milk.

of course various companies throw in various ingredients as well

also, don’t try to tell him he’s wrong.

Part of being human is not liking to be told you’re wrong, and in a sense will make someone defensive and stick to their guns even more so.

or you could ask your Dad if he drinks alcohol, sodas, diet sodas, fast food, any pre-packaged food item.
I’m sure he does to some extent, I’d rather my kid (I don’t have one) drink protein powder over the above mentioned items.

your dads dumb. tell him that. haha totally kidding.

you both probably need to do your homework on supplementation.

protien powders are not unnatural but there not used to replace food either.
they are used to supplement protein that you dont get in whole foods,hence the name.

there are different protiens out on the market
whey-byproduct of cheese ever hear of curds and whey the curds are pressed into cheese and the whey is the liquid after either way its milk

casien-is the protein in milk
then you have your egg protein-self explanatory

most powders are little more than flavored powdered milk sources.
he’s right though you should focus on more whole foods but you should also supplement with these wonderful products too because it is very hard to get everything you need out of your food
same concept as a multi vitamin

you can drink a gallon of milk of a couple shakes its the same thing really if you want to break it down and nit pick

i know I mean I realize that its not there to replace food but its alot not bad for you. I mean look at all the shit on packeged boxes and all the ingredients and your going to say protein power esp from Biotest is bad for you i mean come on.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
i know I mean I realize that its not there to replace food but its alot not bad for you. I mean look at all the shit on packeged boxes and all the ingredients and your going to say protein power esp from Biotest is bad for you i mean come on.[/quote]

its not bad for you,well too much yes
too much of anything is bad
everything in moderaton that is key.
also eat simple with real meat and vegis I think you should google up your question and do some homework on suppelments like what was mentioned before.

prepackaged foods are convienant but they are horrible. not all but most eat like you would have ate back in the day when no one had fridges

tell him protein shakes are made of protein… i had to say it

i’ve been in the exact same situation…my dad says i ingest too many artificial sweeteners, but when we go out to eat he gets a huge bowl of white pasta with alfredo sauce while i’m eating salmon, asparagus, and iced tea w/ 1/2 a packet of splenda.

if your dad eats crap while you’re trying to be healthy, why should you have to explain to him what’s in a protein powder? if not, tell him it’s made from cheese like has been said

The whole “natural versus chemicals” idea is ill conceived.

EVERYTHING is a “chemical” including water. The only thing that matters is what the body does with the molecules, not where they came from.

I don’t know exactly how protein powders are produced, but for whey and casein powders, I just know that the proteins are extracted from milk.

Protein powders are no more or less natural than, say, pasta, which undergoes quite a bit of processing from the stalks of wheat it started as.

However, the pasta and the protein powder do have different metabolic effects. The pasta will raise insulin more than the protein powder will.

I’ve looked at a few studies using whey and casein, and the effects in the body were always favorable ones.

[quote]andersons wrote:
The whole “natural versus chemicals” idea is ill conceived.

EVERYTHING is a “chemical” including water. The only thing that matters is what the body does with the molecules, not where they came from.

[/quote]

I try to tell people this at my work (supplement store) all the time and usually just get a cocked eyed look. God I wish chem was mandatory in high school.

Ask your dad the following question: “Is powdered milk filled with chemicals?”

It’s not. It’s just milk but in powder form.

That’s all protein powders are. You take the whey out of milk, dry it out, and you have protein powder.

So protein powder literally IS food.

[quote]bluefloyd wrote:
tell him protein shakes are made of protein… i had to say it[/quote]

damnit. you beat me to it.

thanks guys

every time i heard the word “chemicals” muttered by your average citizen i just shake my head when i think about the general anti-science propoganda that has been pushed in north america (that includes canada as well)

guess what all your electronics, your car, your house and everything you own is made of ? chemicals

guess what your body is made of ? chemicals

if he says the protein powders are “not natural” or some garbage like that then show him a glass of milk and say “it’s made from this, is this not natural to you ?”

<— MSc in chemistry

Protein shakes are made of people. PEOPLE!

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
if he says the protein powders are “not natural” or some garbage like that then show him a glass of milk and say “it’s made from this, is this not natural to you ?”[/quote]

Word.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Protein shakes are made of people. PEOPLE![/quote]

but are they slow digesting, or quick? PWO?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
esk221 wrote:
Protein shakes are made of people. PEOPLE!

but are they slow digesting, or quick? PWO?[/quote]

Normally slow but there’s a People Isolate in the works from what I’ve heard.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Protein shakes are made of people. PEOPLE![/quote]

people are full of chemicals. i would never eat one