T Nation

What are Hydra Presses?

that is the exact question, what are hydra presses, can someone show a video or pictures?

[quote]balrada1 wrote:
that is the exact question, what are hydra presses, can someone show a video or pictures?[/quote]
I’ve never heard of them before, but a quick check on Google (I literally searched “hydra press exercise”. Miraculous.) comes up with the above gif and a brief description that basically says, “See what he’s doing? Yeah, that’s what it is.”

So it looks like a chest/shoulder hybrid press on a decline bench while holding the midpoint crunch position. In other words, doing an incline dumbbell press on a decline bench.

It would be primarily a core strength/static ab strength exercise with the dynamic movement of the dumbbells making the core work more challenging. The actual pressing being a distance secondary benefit.

Curious though, where’d you hear of it and what are you looking to get out of it?

It’s an inverse drop set. Every time you take off a plate, you put on two new ones.

[quote]kakno wrote:
It’s an inverse drop set. Every time you take off a plate, you put on two new ones.[/quote]

i started a new routine. As much as I have progressed over the years, I pay little attention to routines, and leave it to reputable sources.

I have not heard many reviews from this routine, but I have not noticed any vulnerabilities in performing any of the exercises. I had found something like what you just showed me, but because I have not seen anything else other than what I found (until what you showed me), I did not want to venture into this exercise.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:
It’s an inverse drop set. Every time you take off a plate, you put on two new ones.[/quote]
[/quote]

hahaha