What are Good Stats for a Short Guy?

Since I’ve started reading these boards I see lots of big numbers tossed around- a lot of the bigger guys are at least 210 lbs, some pushing 300, but all have a pretty decent stature.

My question is for someone on the shorter end, like me (all of 5 feet five inches), whats a good body weight to shoot for? For that matter, what weight does a short guy have to be at before he can start to be impressive?

Depends on your goals, and the shape of your muscles and how my BF you have going on.

Since when has ‘to get as big and strong as humanly fucking possible’ not been the goal?

Why do you need a finish line?

I’m not talking about setting goals, I’m talking about some random made up number that possibly you’d want to STOP lifting when you reach it.

As for super serial commentation, every inch is what, 8-10lbs or something along those lines? So a stage ready 200-210 and youll be kicking ass among the pro ranks!

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
Since when has ‘to get as big and strong as humanly fucking possible’ not been the goal?
[/quote]

Around here? I always question…

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
[/quote]

Dude, I am 5’5" 198 and a long way to go… there is no stopping, just goals to meet and surpass!

[quote]Lil J76 wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:

Dude, I am 5’5" 198 and a long way to go… there is no stopping, just goals to meet and surpass!

[/quote]

I totally agree, and my bad for not clarifyig why I asked-

I mainly want to know for two reasons- one, my gains are slowing. Well, the weight gain. My lifts still go up consistently, and my body seems to be recomposing positively, but weight gains coming slow. After awhile training I was just wondering if I’m at a weight now that it will be harder to pack on pounds.

And the other reason is because I like to run and do it two times a week for 2-3 miles. Just wanted to make sure this is not hindering my gains.

But yes, I do agree, big and strong as possible.

[quote]DropShot wrote:
Lil J76 wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:

I totally agree, and my bad for not clarifyig why I asked-

I mainly want to know for two reasons- one, my gains are slowing. Well, the weight gain. My lifts still go up consistently, and my body seems to be recomposing positively, but weight gains coming slow. After awhile training I was just wondering if I’m at a weight now that it will be harder to pack on pounds.

And the other reason is because I like to run and do it two times a week for 2-3 miles. Just wanted to make sure this is not hindering my gains.

But yes, I do agree, big and strong as possible.

[/quote]

If your worried about the running, I sure you can just have that extra double stack from wendy’s to make up for it.

It’s only 99 cents, so why not?

Looking at some of the top competitors that are around our height, I think 180-200 is a good target. Of course, they are typically extremely lean and most of that weight is muscle.

As others have said, there is no magic number and of course you’re not going to stop once you hit a certain weight. But 180-200 is what I use as my general guideline, with the goal of becoming as lean and strong within that range as possible.

If your weight gain is slowing, that’s fine as long as your lifts are consistently going up. You’re likely to be exchanging fat weight for muscle weight. Once your lifts start stalling, you will need to put on more weight.

I see no problem with running a couple times/week, ideally on different days or at least at a different time of day than your weightlifting workout.

Franco Columbo
Height: 5’5’’
Weight: 185-215 lb
I heard he had pretty good stats for a short guy.

I hate to put numbers out there, or even ballpark figures because I think it tends to mess with peoples’ heads. The bottom line is that everyone has different genetics, and what is possible for one may not be possible for another. With that said, we’d have to also address what degree of dedication are we talking about here?

Obviously we have guys like Lee Priest and Franco Colombu who were 5’4 and 5’5 respectively and weighing in between 185 - 215 lbs, both relied on anabolics to assist them (they also busted their asses in the gym, and had pretty darn good genetics going for them). On the other side of the coin, we have the top Natural bodybuilders who are the same height, but compete at a contest weight of 145-160 lbs.

These are contest weights of course, but if a non-competitive number is what you really need, my friend Steve is only 5’4, and has no plans of competing. While his legs are lacking a bit, he’s a pretty big dude and weighs in at about 155 lbs. I figure if he had better legs, he’d easily be 160 most of the year, and then could diet down to about 145 for a show (doesn’t sound as impressive compared to the IFBB boys’ numbers does it? -lol)

S

I think it’s good to have this discussion, because people have the tendency to judge shorter guys by their personal body weights and lifts, without taking into account the difference in height. Weighing 160-200 as a natural bodybuilder is perfectly acceptable, for guys in the 5’5 - 5’6" range. The important thing is not how much you weigh, but how lean and strong you are within that range.

I agree this is a good discussion to have but it flys in the face of the “got to be 200+ to matter”, “170 lbs average joe weakling”, “at that weight you do not even look like you workout” mentality on this site. People seem to forget that there have been many impressive pro bodybuilders who sought aesthetics over just being as massive as possible.

That said, genetic disposition and frame will make a big impact on how much weight you need to carry to look big.

That whole “170 lb. weakling” idea is very relative. I may be short, but I’m not a weakling. I’m also def. not one of the strongest or biggest here, but I think I look half-way decent in my pics and my lifts are at least comparable to some bigger guys.

Will I ever be pushing 250lbs? Probably not. Am I bigger and in better shape then most guys my height? I like to think so.

I did well at 5’7 weighing 169 lbs at my heaviest in contest shape.I am in the center doing the double bi.

You’ve got a lot more muscle to pack on. You definitely look like someone who lifts, but you don’t look that big. Yeah, you’ll look better than most guys with the same height, but how much of them really lift weights and make decent progress?

You stand out in the general population and the your own social population. Time to stand out in the population of people who make decent progress. Just pack on more muscle and love it.

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
You’ve got a lot more muscle to pack on. You definitely look like someone who lifts, but you don’t look that big. Yeah, you’ll look better than most guys with the same height, but how much of them really lift weights and make decent progress?

You stand out in the general population and the your own social population. Time to stand out in the population of people who make decent progress. Just pack on more muscle and love it. [/quote]

Thanks for your constructive criticism , I am still trying though. I just wanted to show the OP a 5’7" 169 lb BB who was able to get lucky and win a regional show.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Tatsu wrote:

You stand out in the general population and the your own social population. Time to stand out in the population of people who make decent progress. Just pack on more muscle and love it.

Thanks for your constructive criticism , I am still trying though. I just wanted to show the OP a 5’7" 169 lb BB who was able to get lucky and win a regional show.[/quote]

I think he was referring to me man. Not many can argue that your not a step above most.

And I know I’m nowhere near done.

[quote]DropShot wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:
Tatsu wrote:

Thanks for your constructive criticism , I am still trying though. I just wanted to show the OP a 5’7" 169 lb BB who was able to get lucky and win a regional show.

I think he was referring to me man. Not many can argue that your not a step above most.

And I know I’m nowhere near done.

[/quote]

It’s all good.

Do a search for user ID onemorerep that dude is like 150lbs and freaking JACKED!!! Not sure how tall he is but he looks like he’s 200++lbs.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
I did well at 5’7 weighing 169 lbs at my heaviest in contest shape.I am in the center doing the double bi.[/quote]

What was/is your walking around weight? It is hard to compare competition weight with ‘normal’ weight if one has never competed or dieted to be very lean.