What are Good Numbers???

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Look up the records for others in your weight class.

CS[/quote]

Thanks, but not a helpful reply…I dont care what the “records” are as I wouldn’t expect to be a record breaker. I know very little about powerlifting…I was simply asking so that I could perhaps get some opinions/feedback from those who have experience in the sport. Like I said initially, I’m just curious as to what is competitive in an average meet for soomeone my size.[/quote]
Well if you want to gauge your competitiveness then observing the respective talent pool of the sport via records isn’t a bad place to start. Where are you at now?[/quote]

I don’t know exact numbers for my 1rms but I can regulary hit singles of 340 bench, 400 plus on squat and I can pull over 500 from a 4" platform…I never have a spotter and havnt been super concerned with max lifts, so I really don’t know exactly where my numbers would be[/quote]

Is 340 paused? You’re numbers aren’t bad at all.[/quote]

I dont know if it qualifies as “paused” I just lower it super slow and press it up…I don’t currently go beyond that weight because I don’t have a spotter. Im sure with a little adreneline and a qualified spotter I could probably eek out putting another 25lbs on the bar…but getting pinned down is always a concern so I don’t push myself too hard. [/quote]

Then it’s not paused. Not bad.

Do your own fucking research. Good god. What is with people obsessing over “what r gud numberz lawl” instead of just going out and fucking competing?

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
What is with people obsessing over “what r gud numberz lawl” instead of just going out and fucking competing?[/quote]

im with this guy. just go compete. my first meet i barely got class III total and i won my weight class in the open division. it was just a small local meet. not every meet has the world or even the nations best at them.

i started powerlifting just to see what i could do for weight not to see how many awards i could get. now winning something is pretty awesome as well. its just a bonus to me. it probably has a big part that i have competed in many sports over a span of nearly 30 years and in this sport i train with guys where i am the weakest so i have had my glory and am in it just for me now.

Do your own fucking research. Good god. What is with people obsessing over “what r gud numberz lawl” instead of just going out and fucking competing?[/quote]

Take your midol and relax little buddy. I didnt even know what the weight classes were until yesterday. I just asked a simple question. It would have been easier to type 300/400/500 or something along those lines than to give your bullshit response. I thought these forums existed to help people but apparently a lot of the people on here are more interested in quibbling, insulting, and arguing like a bunch of broads.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

What is with people obsessing over “what r gud numberz lawl” instead of just going out and fucking competing?[/quote]

im with this guy. just go compete. my first meet i barely got class III total and i won my weight class in the open division. it was just a small local meet. not every meet has the world or even the nations best at them.

i started powerlifting just to see what i could do for weight not to see how many awards i could get. now winning something is pretty awesome as well. its just a bonus to me. it probably has a big part that i have competed in many sports over a span of nearly 30 years and in this sport i train with guys where i am the weakest so i have had my glory and am in it just for me now. [/quote]

I hear you, I appreciate the feedback…I really don’t know much of anything about the sport and was just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I can gain personal satisfaction of just hitting better numbers in the gym. However, I wanted to guage my numbers and see if I could do well in competions because I like to compete.

3x Bodyweight Squat

2x Bodyweight Bench

4x Bodyweight Deadlift

Raw, those will be great numbers.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
3x Bodyweight Squat

2x Bodyweight Bench

4x Bodyweight Deadlift

Raw, those will be great numbers.[/quote]

You’ll need to be pretty light if you want that 4x BW deadlift though. Sweet Jesus that’s heavy.

[quote]csulli wrote:

3x Bodyweight Squat

2x Bodyweight Bench

4x Bodyweight Deadlift

You’ll need to be pretty light if you want that 4x BW deadlift though. Sweet Jesus that’s heavy.[/quote]

Yeah a 4x BW dead seems intimidating…I’d imagine I could probably pull off a 3X currently but adding that much strength without gaining much weight would be a huge challenge

Doesn’t really matter much. “Good” is subjective, and in this sport, you are all that matters. Get as strong as you can, enjoy it, progress, compete. If you bench 250 now, then 300 next year, then 400, you’re getting better and that’s what matters. Many times people put limits on themselves by worrying too much and trying to get “good” numbers or see what the rest of the field is doing. Just keep getting stronger and having fun. From a competitive mindset, in my opinion, no number is a “good” number, or good enough. If I do 500 today, it’s only good for today. Tomorrow I want 505. If I thought, “hey, 500 is good! That’s above average.” I would probably be content to hang out there. Basically, just train hard, have fun, progress. Don’t get caught up in numbers.

If you have to worry about it so much and ask random internet people what “good” is instead of, ya know, DOING something and finding out yourself, then don’t worry, you’ve already lost.

According to Mark Ripptoe (God):

For a 181lb Man (First Number is what he considers Advanced, second number is Elite)

Bench Press: 275 - 343

Squat: 367 - 479

Deadlift: 438 - 548

I know these are not the end-all be-all and they are not necessarily meant for competition but still, they come from a very respectable source and i thought they would bring something to the conversation.

[quote]csulli wrote:

3x Bodyweight Squat

2x Bodyweight Bench

4x Bodyweight Deadlift

You’ll need to be pretty light if you want that 4x BW deadlift though. Sweet Jesus that’s heavy.[/quote]

I’d say for 198+ it’ll be 3.5x Bodyweight, but that’s to be a top lifter.

Do your own fucking research. Good god. What is with people obsessing over “what r gud numberz lawl” instead of just going out and fucking competing?[/quote]

This, although usually it’s because people’s egos can’t take losing at anything so they want to make sure that they will completely obliterate anyone before even putting on a singlet, and as a result they never actually enter a meet.

Good numbers are 50lbs away from your current ones.

[quote]eaboadar wrote:
According to Mark Ripptoe (God):

For a 181lb Man (First Number is what he considers Advanced, second number is Elite)

Bench Press: 275 - 343

Squat: 367 - 479

Deadlift: 438 - 548

I know these are not the end-all be-all and they are not necessarily meant for competition but still, they come from a very respectable source and i thought they would bring something to the conversation.[/quote]

This is reasonable numbers. It should also be understood that these are the lowest end of elite and not very many peoole will ever reach this.

Well, I’m a little superstitious so I automatically count out 13. Lucky 7 is way too mainstream for me. So I go with 5. It’s good number, easy to add and mulitiply too and that’s where you end a tally group. I also like 1 because that’s what you should strive to be in in whatever you do.

So to answer the thread title, 1 and 5 are my good numbers.

Everybody knows the best number is 4.

You’re strong when strong people say you’re strong.

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Look up the records for others in your weight class.

CS[/quote]

Thanks, but not a helpful reply…I dont care what the “records” are as I wouldn’t expect to be a record breaker. I know very little about powerlifting…I was simply asking so that I could perhaps get some opinions/feedback from those who have experience in the sport. Like I said initially, I’m just curious as to what is competitive in an average meet for soomeone my size.[/quote]
Well if you want to gauge your competitiveness then observing the respective talent pool of the sport via records isn’t a bad place to start. Where are you at now?[/quote]

I don’t know exact numbers for my 1rms but I can regulary hit singles of 340 bench, 400 plus on squat and I can pull over 500 from a 4" platform… I never have a spotter and havnt been super concerned with max lifts, so I really don’t know exactly where my numbers would be.[/quote]

Gah damn it. Some people these days. Know they are strong, but come on a forum to ask, then hope to get there e-penis stroked.

The worst part is, they say they’ve done some looking into the topic, which is a lie, cause if they had googled it or used the search on here they would have found a million articles. Stop being so lazy.

300/400/500 is the most solid base point for what is “good”. If you can do those numbers regardless of your weight, you are always going to be strong enough to not look bad at a meet. Then again nobody gives a flying fuck what you do anyway, chances are your first powerlifting meet there will be like barely 10 lifters, 2 of them grandmas, and one midget. Point being, we all overestimate how much people care about our numbers when nobody gives a shit unless you’re breaking records.

my friends saw me hit 225 for 3x5 on sumo deadlifts a few years ago and still won’t shut up about how much of a beast powerlifter I am

In my mind, I’m not a powerlifter until I pass 300/400/500. I’ve never competed in a meet, but I feel like I’ll never consider my numbers to be good, considering the top raw powerlifters have totals 1000lbs above my 300/400/500 goal haha. The same goes for bodybuilding. I think it’s good to have that mindset because it keeps you hungry for improvement.