T Nation

What are Good Numbers???

I am not a powerlifter but I am considering getting involved in the sport. I am just wondering what “good”/competitive numbers are for someone who weighs between 175-185lbs.?

Look up the records for others in your weight class.

CS

I weigh 185-190lbs. My best numbers so far are 535-380-525. I dont have these on video and if you choose not to believe me, I completely understand. Just giving you something to comepare yourself too. I dont think my numbers are all that great.

[quote]Chicksan wrote:
I weigh 185-190lbs. My best numbers so far are 535-380-525. I dont have these on video and if you choose not to believe me, I completely understand. Just giving you something to comepare yourself too. I dont think my numbers are all that great.[/quote]

Good lawd! What do you consider “great” not everybody is going to break world records?

I am assuming these are raw lifts correct?

rawpowerlifting.com/classifications.htm

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Thanks, but not a helpful reply…I dont care what the “records” are as I wouldn’t expect to be a record breaker. I know very little about powerlifting…I was simply asking so that I could perhaps get some opinions/feedback from those who have experience in the sport. Like I said initially, I’m just curious as to what is competitive in an average meet for soomeone my size.

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:
rawpowerlifting.com/classifications.htm
[/quote]

Thank you…extremely helpful/informative

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Thanks, but not a helpful reply…I dont care what the “records” are as I wouldn’t expect to be a record breaker. I know very little about powerlifting…I was simply asking so that I could perhaps get some opinions/feedback from those who have experience in the sport. Like I said initially, I’m just curious as to what is competitive in an average meet for soomeone my size.[/quote]

Knowing the records can be used to gauge where you are.

Good original topic, OP. A+

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Thanks, but not a helpful reply…I dont care what the “records” are as I wouldn’t expect to be a record breaker. I know very little about powerlifting…I was simply asking so that I could perhaps get some opinions/feedback from those who have experience in the sport. Like I said initially, I’m just curious as to what is competitive in an average meet for soomeone my size.[/quote]

Knowing the records can be used to gauge where you are.[/quote]

Good point, but typically records can be rather far off from what is considered solid/competitive (at least in most sports). I don’t have pipedreams of being a record holder just really want to make sure I could be competitive. Therefor I figured I’d ask some guys who compete, seeing as how I don’t know any powerlifters IRL.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Good original topic, OP. A+[/quote]

Thanks bro…I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very a very knowlegable guy.

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Thanks bro…I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very a very knowlegable guy.[/quote]

Might just be me i sensed heavy sarcasm there…

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Thanks bro…I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very a very knowlegable guy.[/quote]

Hmmm not sure if serious

I wasn’t either but I figured I’d respond respectfully…don’t really care…I was just trying to gain knowledge and figured I’d ask what I thought to be a legit question.

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Well if you want to gauge your competitiveness then observing the respective talent pool of the sport via records isn’t a bad place to start. Where are you at now?

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Good point, but typically records can be rather far off from what is considered solid/competitive (at least in most sports). I don’t have pipedreams of being a record holder just really want to make sure I could be competitive. Therefor I figured I’d ask some guys who compete, seeing as how I don’t know any powerlifters IRL.[/quote]

If you can bench 300 in comp, you’re solid. If you can squat 400 in comp, you’re solid. If you can pull 500 in comp, you’re solid.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Good point, but typically records can be rather far off from what is considered solid/competitive (at least in most sports). I don’t have pipedreams of being a record holder just really want to make sure I could be competitive. Therefor I figured I’d ask some guys who compete, seeing as how I don’t know any powerlifters IRL.[/quote]

If you can bench 300 in comp, you’re solid. If you can squat 400 in comp, you’re solid. If you can pull 500 in comp, you’re solid.[/quote]

Thanks, that’s basically what I was lookin for.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Well if you want to gauge your competitiveness then observing the respective talent pool of the sport via records isn’t a bad place to start. Where are you at now?[/quote]

I don’t know exact numbers for my 1rms but I can regulary hit singles of 340 bench, 400 plus on squat and I can pull over 500 from a 4" platform… I never have a spotter and havnt been super concerned with max lifts, so I really don’t know exactly where my numbers would be.

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Well if you want to gauge your competitiveness then observing the respective talent pool of the sport via records isn’t a bad place to start. Where are you at now?[/quote]

I don’t know exact numbers for my 1rms but I can regulary hit singles of 340 bench, 400 plus on squat and I can pull over 500 from a 4" platform…I never have a spotter and havnt been super concerned with max lifts, so I really don’t know exactly where my numbers would be[/quote]

Is 340 paused? You’re numbers aren’t bad at all.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Nexxt84 wrote:

CS[/quote]

I don’t know exact numbers for my 1rms but I can regulary hit singles of 340 bench, 400 plus on squat and I can pull over 500 from a 4" platform…I never have a spotter and havnt been super concerned with max lifts, so I really don’t know exactly where my numbers would be[/quote]

Is 340 paused? You’re numbers aren’t bad at all.[/quote]

I dont know if it qualifies as “paused” I just lower it super slow and press it up…I don’t currently go beyond that weight because I don’t have a spotter. Im sure with a little adreneline and a qualified spotter I could probably eek out putting another 25lbs on the bar…but getting pinned down is always a concern so I don’t push myself too hard.