What are Bent-Knee Deadlifts?

in the recent newsletter i got, the mini article at the bottom (by Ian King) reffered to ‘bent knee deadlifts’ are these rdls or something different

It’s a regular, conventional deadlift as opposed to SLDL (Stiff (or Semi-Stiff) Leg DL).

regular dead lifts.

You start in a full squat, it uses alot of leg.

My deads are actually slightly better if I dont start in a full squat, since Im somewhat tall and I have better leverage if I dont.

But most shorter people will pull hardest from a full squat, your legs are usually your strongest muscle group, or should be atleast.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
regular dead lifts.

You start in a full squat, it uses alot of leg.

My deads are actually slightly better if I dont start in a full squat, since Im somewhat tall and I have better leverage if I dont.

But most shorter people will pull hardest from a full squat, your legs are usually your strongest muscle group, or should be atleast.

[/quote]

Where did you get the notion that a “full squat” was the best way to start a pull?

Have you ever seen a big deadlifter start with his ass sitting on his ankles? If anything, the biggest pulls look like stiff-legs.

Yes, I’ve seen Koklaev pull. It’s still not a “full squat”. Anyone else?

I don’t know if I’d trust any source that needs to specify your standard Deadlift as a “Bent Knee Deadlift.”

If the author thinks he’s talking to serious athletes, then he should assume that the standard, Conventional Style Powerlifting Deadlift is the first thing to come to mind when you write the word “Deadlift.”

I would have assumed it to mean RDL tbh.

could mean a standard deadlift with more knee bend, like a clean pull position deadlift?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I would have assumed it to mean RDL tbh.[/quote]

I assumed RDL as well.

Bent-Knee Deadlift is just an old-school name for a Conventional Deadlift, just like Deep Knee Bend is an old-school name for Full Squat. Other kinds of deadlift are Straight-Leg and (Semi-)Stiff Legged DL.

P.S. RDL is not technically a Dead Lift as the weight is never “dead”.

thanks for the replies guys
nobody else get the weekly dose via email?
probably does mean conventional deadlifts
thanks