what are advantages to renegade training?

What are the advantages to renegade training?What world class athletes have been produced under renegade training?Why is it superior to other programs?

Well, I am a relative newbie to Renegade Training, just starting my second level of phase 1, but I will give you the answers as they apply to me. Hopefully some other more experienced Renegade Brothers will chime in as well.

Advantages - To me, the biggest advantage is finding out what you have. It pushes you to your limits, and then some. Your body, your mind, everything will be begging you to stop. So you get to find out, am I a quiter or a warrior. As a wonderful bonus, you will become a better athlete and your physique will improve. But to me the biggest advantage is what I have learned about myself so far, and the great anticipation of what I will learn in the future.

World Class Athletes - All I will say is read this: www.renegadetraining.com/ code_09_18_02/index.html

Superior To Others - I can't really answer this. I have done lots of training, but never anything like this. It would be like comparing a 747 jet liner to a toy. There may be other programs similar, I just have never used them.

Chris I want to start ren. training soon. My Only worry is the lack of equipment I would have. Could you please tell me what equpiment I would need to start this program? You know hurdles, sleds, ladders, etc. Thank you!!

It depends on which program you go with. Kettelbells, agility ladders, adjustable hurdles, sled, wheelbarrow, and a tire would generally be used. However, you can substitute some of the GPP equipment with others, for example you can use a tire and bat to do tire strikes in place of other gpp exerices. You can use the hash marks on a football field or a sidewalk for the agility ladder. I’m currently using the shot put program, and being in school I’m limited to the amount of equipment I have access to, so I’ve adjusted and substituted some of the exercises. Either way, this program is very duable even wiht limited facilities and equipment.

If it is his policy not to tell names of athletes he works with how do you know he works with any world class athletes at all?

Well if you do renegade training for a while that terminator screen name will take on a whole new meaning. You will destroy everything in your way.
If you are worried about not having the equiptment dont be cause you can make hurdels and sled ect. pretty easliy.
WIll42

I can only speak for my own program (hockey goaltending), but I needed hurdles, a med ball, a jump rope, a tire and some rope. I built the hurdles at Home Depot which you can read about in this thread: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION threads/thread.1953937176.html. The med ball cost me about 20 bucks, the jump rope cost me 5, the tire was free from an auto garage and the rope I had. I drilled a hole in the tire and put my rope through it to build the sled.

Total cost was about 50 bucks.

Forgot to add that you should email Coach, that way he can tell you exactly what you will need.

Renegade training is way to high in volume and other than that theres really nothing new about anything coach Davies does.Coming from a pholosophy of more is NOT better,ill assume the guys that perform these 2 hour workouts either A)dont have girlfriends B)dont have friends and C) dont have a life.Other than this,I have it on good word that coach Davies has been spreading rumors about helping train Ben Johnson is his prime (Ian King also did this).If this is true,it has to make you wonder how a coach who suposedly been around for 20 years has to elevate himself with lies. Point here is that you shouldnt get suckered into these supposedly “new” training programs.Look up “education material” in the archives to see what reading material is available to educate yourself,because if you think that some coach is going to spill his guts about how you can train to attain your goals for free or by charge you’ll be in for a rude awaikening.

The Essential Equipment you would need would include Barbells, Dumbells, Jump Rope and heart. Other stuff would include: Kettlebell(optional, a DB would Substitute), Agility ladder (I draw mine with sidewalk chalk a bucket of it is $2) Hurdles (you can make these with PVC pipe), Wheel barrow, a place to run sprints, sledge and tire. The key is to be creative. Also If you choose a Renegade Program email Coach Davies or one of his coaches. If finances are a concern , like you can’t afford a wheelbarrow, alternatives can be found, like farmers walks.

Feel free to ask anymore questions

Alex

Ian King has never ever, not once, made a claim to have helped Ben Johnson. Ian prefers to keep his clients private. Where did you here/read that? Perhaps you have him confused with Poliquin.

wstrainer I too heard on the net that coach Davies told people he trained Ben Johnson.I read that he told the Green Bay Packers that he coached Ben.I made the post because I’m trying to find out more about Davies and am sceptical of him and his workouts because of stuff I have read on the internet.He is very gimmigcy. There is one good site I know of where coaches give good information for free “charliefrancis.com

Or perhaps D) we have strong time management skills.

Adam Marshall

First off, I must say that I have a lot of respect for Coach Davies. That having been said I feel that the strongest point of Renegade training is its “inclusiveness”. The program touches all the conditioning parameters and develop the whole body (and some could argue that it also work on the mind) instead of focusing on a few elements like most program do.

The whole agility, speed and conditioning work is good. However I will say (with the utmost respect) that I do not feel that the strength program is optimal. It *IS* a good program mind you. But I just feel that there are better approaches to strength & power out there.

But overall the program is solid. It's main drawback is that it's very high in volume. Sure one could argue that this can whip you into shape and make a man out of you, and maybe it can in many cases, but for some individuals this is just too much. Not because they are wimps, but because they lack the recovery capacities or the time to complete the whole program successfully.

As was pointed out by a few posts - always feel free to send me an email and I am honored to help. Please note that in the subject section that you are from the t-mag forum and I will prioritize it. The policy is and always has been not to discuss a athlete’s identity unless he okays it. I understand some of you may be looking for this type of information but I have spelled this out in numerous articles including my most recent on my web-site. It may not be good marketing but thats my stance. This should help explain my position entirely but if it needs to be said, I get a heck of lot more personal satisfaction in working with young athletes like the men who have posted or the one’s that I discussed. Again, if you have questions - please email me. I apologize for not responding sooner but I have been travelling extensively of late. I look forward to hearing from you. In faith, Coach Davies

Terminator … I think the other guys said it best … it’s more than just a workout … it’ll change your life.

J … we can modify programs to suit your specific equipment needs. E-mail us with your specifics.

WSTRAINER … whatever dude. Why would Coach Davies spread rumors about working with a world class athlete when it’s his policy not to name names? Without naming names, hmm … geez, 3-time NFL MVP, Worldclass hockey and soccer players, collegiate and high school teams, etc., etc., blah blah. Fact of the matter it’s not about them. It’s about every Renegade who joins the program. Besides, LIFE is HIGH VOLUME and BALLISTIC. We’ve never had complaints about over training … on the contrary, our athletes are amazed at their progress. So please, stop helping to these rumors.

I’m always amazed when people are so loyal to their method of training or their mentors that they feel the need to trash others. Renegade Training is NOT for everyone. NOT everyone has what it takes. For those who do, we welcome you.

-Cpl

I was skeptical at first, but I figured I’d give it a shot. I didn’t buy a program from Coach Davies, but I did use alot of the principals in putting together my own. I absolutely love it… fat is melting faster than any other program I have ever tried. I thought Meltdown worked pretty well… it’s got nothing on this stuff. It takes a little longer than other things, but who gives a shit. I love training,… an extra half hour doesn’t mean I can’t have a life. What the hell does that mean anyways, wstrainer? I’ve seen a dramatic increase in endurance on the basketball court, and (no joke) in the sack. Don’t knock it til ya tried it.

If you’re in the NYC area Coach Davies will be out this way in a few weeks. We should grab a beer and talk shop.

I think what happened was that Davies did an interview a long time ago with a newspaper or something, and they falsely reported he had coached Johnson. Davies didn’t say it.

Poliquin has said something to this though and has been sharply criticized for it since it’s not true.

WSTRAINER- HA HA HA…THAT’S ABOUT ALL I CAN COME UP WITH FOR YOU, WELL, ALMOST. YOU HEARD THAT COACH DAVIES TOLD THE GREEN BAY PACKERS HE TRAINED BEN JOHNSON???WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TASTY MORSEL??? AND WHO CARES??? FIRST OF ALL THIS TYPE OF CHICKENHEAD INTERNET GOSSIP MAKES FORUMS ALMOST UNREADABLE. YOU SOUND LIKE A SCHOOLGIRL AND MORE THAN HALF OF YOUR SENTENCES DON’T MAKE ANY SENSE. HAVE YOU TRIED RENEGADE TYPE TRAINING? WHAT ARE YOUR TRAINING GOALS? ARE YOU AN ATHLETE? IF SO, WHAT TYPE? YOU SEEM QUICK TO DISMISS RENEGADE TRAINING AS BEING TOO HIGH IN VOLUME. IS THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? PERHAPS A FRIENDS EXPERIENCE? SURELY WITH ALL YOUR FREE TIME YOU’VE MADE A FRIEND WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THE HORRORS OF RENEGADE TYPE TRAINING? OPEN YOUR MIND. PLEASE. REMEMBER, IT’S NOT A COOKIE-CUTTER PROGRAM. COACH DAVIES DESIGNS HIS PROGRAMS WITH THE INDIVIDUAL IN MIND. IF YOU LACK MASS HE WILL ADJUST THE PROGRAM. IF YOU LACK AGILITY HE WILL ADJUST THE PROGRAM. AND SO ON. IT’S DEFINITELY NOT FOR EVERYONE, DEFINITELY NOT FOR THE CASUAL GYM MEMBER. IT’S SERIOUS STUFF THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL FIND TOO HARD AND TOO TAXING. BUT THE REWARDS ARE GREAT. I’VE SEEN THE RESULTS IN MY OWN PERFORMANCE AND THAT’S ALL I NEED TO KNOW.

[Note from Mod: Kill the caps please.]