What are a Man's Four Most Important Areas in Life?

Party
Pizza
Pot
Pussy

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Exactly, that’s why it’s so important. It’s demonized and nearly completely absent from much of today’s young men. They’ve been conditioned to believe it’s something evil, which as you wisely pointed out, it can be if used irresponsibly. However it is a pivotal male value, meant to be applied constructively. Aggression utilized in the appropriate manner becomes assertion and leadership.

I think you were thinking the same thing.[/quote]

Couldn’t you just say “leadership” then?

Because leadership requires aggression; anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. Aggression doesn’t require leadership, and having aggression most certainly doesn’t mean you have leadership.[/quote]

I don’t necessarily think they need be intertwined. “Aggression utilized in the appropriate manner” and “applied constructively” doesn’t have to be done in a leadership role. In other words you could be a one man band.[/quote]

Yeah I tend to agree. A very valuable “follower” (which isn’t a bad thing as they are the ones that get the shit done so to speak) can be aggressive and it will be that aggression that makes him so effective.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Exactly, that’s why it’s so important. It’s demonized and nearly completely absent from much of today’s young men. They’ve been conditioned to believe it’s something evil, which as you wisely pointed out, it can be if used irresponsibly. However it is a pivotal male value, meant to be applied constructively. Aggression utilized in the appropriate manner becomes assertion and leadership.

Because leadership requires aggression; anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. Aggression doesn’t require leadership, and having aggression most certainly doesn’t mean you have leadership.[/quote]
No. I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant’s aggressive one hundred percent.

God
Family
Health
Humility

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

No. I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant’s aggressive one hundred percent.[/quote]

So, your advice for a young man in pursuit of excellence is “be an elephant”?

Not bad, not bad…

so many good ones,

But…

Rape
Pillage
Plunder
Profit.

My people believe in this mantra~

Many years ago an old man told me that a good man has GRIT.

Generosity
Responsibility
Integrity
Tenacity

These cover a lot of ground, but every truly decent individual that I have ever met has lived these beliefs.

be happy within yourself

[quote]Yogi wrote:
be happy within yourself[/quote]

Thanks for fucking ruining the fun.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Thanks for fucking ruining the fun.[/quote]

haha! Sorry, I only read the first couple of posts before I posted that and they were serious so I responded in kind

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Unfortunately the meaning of life can’t be summed up in abstract buzzwords. What is “happiness?” How does one attain it? Why should one seek to attain it? Instead of just posting words, we need to at least define them and place them in some kind of perspective. I’ll have a stab at “happiness.” I refer to Albert Camus’ The Myth of Sisyphus:

In The Myth of Sisyphus "Camus introduces his philosophy of the absurd: man’s futile search for meaning, unity, and clarity in the face of an unintelligible world devoid of God and eternal truths or values. Does the realization of the absurd require suicide? Camus answers: “No. It requires revolt…” [He] compares the absurdity of man’s life with the situation of Sisyphus, a figure of Greek mythology who was condemned to repeat forever the same meaningless task of pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down again. The essay concludes, “The struggle itself…is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Unfortunately the meaning of life can’t be summed up in abstract buzzwords. What is “happiness?” How does one attain it? Why should one seek to attain it? Instead of just posting words, we need to at least define them and place them in some kind of perspective. I’ll have a stab at “happiness.” I refer to Albert Camus’ The Myth of Sisyphus:

In The Myth of Sisyphus "Camus introduces his philosophy of the absurd: man’s futile search for meaning, unity, and clarity in the face of an unintelligible world devoid of God and eternal truths or values. Does the realization of the absurd require suicide? Camus answers: “No. It requires revolt…” [He] compares the absurdity of man’s life with the situation of Sisyphus, a figure of Greek mythology who was condemned to repeat forever the same meaningless task of pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down again. The essay concludes, “The struggle itself…is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”[/quote]

Hey DBCooper at least I’m more fun than this guy!

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

I don’t necessarily think they need be intertwined. “Aggression utilized in the appropriate manner” and “applied constructively” doesn’t have to be done in a leadership role. In other words you could be a one man band.[/quote]

Yeah I tend to agree. A very valuable “follower” (which isn’t a bad thing as they are the ones that get the shit done so to speak) can be aggressive and it will be that aggression that makes him so effective. [/quote]

True to both of you.

But I feel that aggression is too broad of a term.

Like Countingbeans wrote earlier, aggression is good when used “properly”, bad when used “improperly”.

There must be a way to define aggression used “properly”. I just can’t think of that word right now.

I am young my self but my greatest role model in life always told me

People
People
People

Make good relationships and take care of thoughs who are worth it and do the same for you
You will be doing gods work and be known as a good man.

Love
Faith
Humility (not thinking less of yourself, thinking of yourself less)
Compassion

Please note that I?m using all of these words as verbs. These are all practices, not beliefs. Mental beliefs are cheap and generally disconnected from the real world. You are and you believe what you practice, not what you say or even what you think you believe. And I?m posting them as a large part because they are a reflection of what I know I should be better at, not a reflection of what I think I am.

[quote]Lift or die wrote:
If you could pick four areas of life for a man to focus his time and attention towards that would benefit him the most, what would these four areas be?
[/quote]

As usual when I choose to reply to these things these days I’m drunk, but here goes:

1. Strength - As a man you can be a whole hell of a lot stronger than a woman and most men that just plain suck. Get strong. With this will come size. I’m 5’8" and my sons are a little taller…but…I’ve told them I can’t make them taller, but I can help them get stronger and bigger…and in my experience that will combat Society’s bias towards tall guys…get strong and big and whatever you do as a man you will have an edge of the weaklings.

2. Food Prep - Can you make a tuna sandwhich others would want to eat? What about a hamburger? Grill steaks your buddies will tell their girlfriends about? Chateaubriand for two? Learn to cook. From the time I was 16 until now (43) I have met and bedded more women over my skills in the kitchen than any other skill…and it’s been tasty…hyuck!

3. Hunt and fish - Until recently (10,000 years ago?) if you couldn’t hunt or fish you’d die…if your dad didn’t teach you how to do this…find a club…join it and learn it…banging your wife to mulitples is the #1 joy in life, but providing meat and/or fish to your family to eat is a real close #2.

4. Play an instrument, learn a 2nd or 3rd language, volunteer, never give up learning something new - this is self - explanatory and could maybe go under “be interesting”.

Bonus - Give up watching/following sports…you got seven days in the week…NFL takes up 1 of them…college football another…do you really want to go down in history as the guy that knew a lot about men tackling each other while wearing stretch pants to make their bottoms look skinny while wearing shoulder pads to make their shoulders look broader? …gay…ok!

[quote]pushharder wrote:

Don’t you own your own company? Forgive me if you don’t ,but as I am a slave to the man…aggression is something you can VERY rarely use if you’re not el Jefe in my opinion.

I’ve worked in private, not for profit and gummint organizations over the past 25 years and am currently (past 10 years) a mid-level-manager for the gummint (GS-15 $140K)…maybe twice-four times in my life have I gone over the edge and used aggression to get done what needed to be done…2 times I got bitch slapped by Upper Managment (1 a Cabinet Level exec ! )

Maybe I’m misinterpreting, but I’ve not seen aggression work very well in the office environment.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

In The Myth of Sisyphus "Camus introduces his philosophy of the absurd: man’s futile search for meaning, unity, and clarity in the face of an unintelligible world devoid of God and eternal truths or values. Does the realization of the absurd require suicide? Camus answers: “No. It requires revolt…” [He] compares the absurdity of man’s life with the situation of Sisyphus, a figure of Greek mythology who was condemned to repeat forever the same meaningless task of pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down again. The essay concludes, “The struggle itself…is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”[/quote]

Hey DBCooper at least I’m more fun than this guy!
[/quote]

lol…hey that guy…Godot is to the left…go wait for him there!

[quote]magick wrote:
Like Countingbeans wrote earlier, aggression is good when used “properly”, bad when used “improperly”.
[/quote]

Here’s the deal…are you so weak that you need to use aggression? If so…I will meet you with true aggression and I have tried to teach my sons this.

Three examples:

1. In school - there are so many asshats that if someone comes at you with aggression your best play is to defend yourself and not be the aggressor. E.G. in third period Tommy/Timmy wants to fight don’t let him kick your ass, but let the administration handle it and maybe take a punch or two. Find Tommy/Timmy outside of school and kick his ass,

2. At Work - I’m a white collar worker…aggression is never an issue, but back-stabbing does take place…treat everyone with respect until they fuck you…then…look at them like Conan would look at James Earl Jones…if your boss demands you work with an asshat let him or her know they suck…always have arms that are at least 2 inches bigger than everyone at the conference table and always have pecs and lats…even if you’re short you’ll be amazed how much respect you get being thicker than the tall guys.

3. In Real Life -

A) Aggress against ass hats in the grocery store, boooze store, anywhere there’s a crowd…don’t go all Hulk Hogan, but if you lift and have some size/strength you should be able to walk anywhere with a determined look on your face and have lesser humans move aside

B) When dealing with your kids - you should aggress. Don’t fuck with my kids. This may be in school, in afterschool activities or with neighborhood kids…do not let anyone fuck with your kids…best advice? Volunteer to coach you kids teams. Even if you don’t know the sport, just do it. I have never been bigger and stronger than when coaching a youth sport…on top of hunting, fishing, etc…when you coach kieds you are protecting them from the world and nothing can make you stronger.