What an Arse

She’s 20 years old. She made a mistake. It happens.

How old is your president btw?

I think that its a personal issue for her more than it applies to any American really. I mean the USA still ended up with one more medal than before the race.

Sure, she’ll realize she could have been the gold winner, but thats her problem. There was no insult involved, she tried to win with a little flair and didn’t, so be it.

We had a Canadian snowboarder do the same thing a couple days ago. Except she grabbed her board on a jump to try and keep herself upright when she landed (or so she claimed) and fell and didn’t medal. So be it, it was her own problem and thats where we leave it at.

You can claim that its justification, and loser talk to say that the Games are about enjoying your event, but really, in effect you’re offering an even larger attitude of poor sportsmanship. USA won a medal. Accept that fact.

Well, if she embarrassed “us” in front of the world, she hasn’t done anything our foreign policy-makers haven’t already accomplished.

I had a friend who was in the X-games as a snowboarder, and that sport never seemed to be about fierce competition. They were always out to have a good time, and see if they pull some crazy shit off along the way. If you don’t want that kind of attitude in the Olympics, don’t make it an event.

To me it’s about respect for competition. You don’t compete unless you take it seriously. She could have fun any other run of her life. She was there to win gold, and if it wasn’t important to her, she shouldn’t have been there.

We may take pride in our athletes, but at the same time, they don’t owe us much of anything.

You can blow this up out of proportion if you wish, but if she is happy with how she finished, that in itself sounds amazing.

She must be a unique individual. It’s nice to see people set their own priorities and be true to themselves sometimes.

when I clicked on this thread I was really expecting a nice thong shot…anyone else?

[quote]Kailash wrote:
Instead of trying to be the best, she suceeded in being herself. Good for her.

Who are the real losers? Only those who live as in a super-competition - because someone will always better them.

Pathetic that people are giving her shit for letting them down. They let themselves down when they decided to live vicariously through a stranger who doesn’t even share their dream (or nightmare?)[/quote]
Seriously. She kicked everyones ass, and had fun doing it. So she had a little spill, who cares, she succeded in whipping ass.

I’m an avid snowboarder and live in an area that enables me to persue it. When I was a kid (26 now) snowboarding was what I identified myself with.

With that said I don’t now, and never have, supported olympic level snowboarding. It’s changed the ‘spirit’ of the sport in a negative way.

I congradulate her for showing the world that, with snowboarding it’s more about having fun with freinds and not just winning.

For those outside of the sport it’s hard to understand that stlye is more important to fellow ‘shredders’ than winning.

I cringe everytime I see a televised snowboard event sponsored by non-snowboarding corporate entities.

Are people seriously bitching because someone had fun and only got (gasp) a silver medal at the Olympics. She “embarrassed” the US with her showboating?

You people are in serious need of getting laid. The only reason this kid is going to regret what she did is because sideline experts like you fuckers and the media will badger the shit out of her, and keep telling her how she fucked up by “only” winning silver.

PS I too thought this thread would contain a thong…

For those who requested it…

As a Snowboarder and an American I am shocked and aghast!

NOT! Jeez oh man- You guys need to come back down to earth. The girl did great and had a good time doing it.

Some of you sound like those Idiotic supercaoch parents that destroy fun and competition for everybody, especialy the participant, all for the sake of winning.

How many of you have ever even competed in anything at a local, state or national level?

It’s nice to see that the Olympics haven’t corrupted snowboarding.

Those bitching about Lindsey don’t understand the sport.

and Lindsey Jacobellis makes my list of OILF’s - Olympians… “I’d hit it!”

Why is snowboarding an Olympic sport? I guess skateboarding should be part of the summer games, as the number of global skateboarders are exponentially larger than the pool the world’s top snowboarders come from.

There are too many “sports” and weak fields even among seemingly legitimate events (women’s hockey is worse than junior level hockey).

She’s an ass. Sorry, but she was there to represent our country in competition. She can have all of the fun she wants on her own time. the Olympics is a time when she should have competed with dignity. I’d rather see some one compete who takes it seriously. The lack of shame on her part afterwards only made it worse.

Having fun… kiss my ass.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
and Lindsey Jacobellis makes my list of OILF’s - Olympians I’d Like to…

“I’d hit it!”
[/quote]

Ditto (plus she is from CT).

[quote]magyar wrote:
She’s an ass. Sorry, but she was there to represent our country in competition. She can have all of the fun she wants on her own time. the Olympics is a time when she should have competed with dignity. I’d rather see some one compete who takes it seriously. The lack of shame on her part afterwards only made it worse.

Having fun… kiss my ass.[/quote]

Same goes for the recent Shanni Davis.

[quote]
magyar wrote:

Having fun… kiss my ass.

TriGWU wrote:
Same goes for the recent Shanni Davis.[/quote]

I don’t see that. Shani came to win. He did. She came to win, fucked up, and then just tried to pretend that the Olympics aren’t that big of a deal.

I think the “representing one’s country” part of the Olympics is strictly PR. Except, perhaps, for those athletes who hail from Eastern Bloc nations and have been systematically programmed for their Olympic roles since the age of 3. I’m sure they take it pretty seriously.

In any case, Jack Strummer was the only person I saw who pointed out the fact that, while she didn’t win formally, she did beat everyone else.

In my book, a winning performance makes a winner - not a medal, or any other official formality.

She beat everyone else. That’s all that matters, as far as winning is concerned. She could have sat behind the finish line and let every other contestant pass. She still would have been the true winner, from an athletic perspective.

And lastly, she’s right. Who cares? She had fun. She’s not being paid to “represent America”. She’s there because she’s pursuing an individual hobby of hers.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
I think the “representing one’s country” part of the Olympics is strictly PR. Except, perhaps, for those athletes who hail from Eastern Bloc nations and have been systematically programmed for their Olympic roles since the age of 3. I’m sure they take it pretty seriously.

In any case, Jack Strummer was the only person I saw who pointed out the fact that, while she didn’t win formally, she did beat everyone else.

In my book, a winning performance makes a winner - not a medal, or any other official formality.

She beat everyone else. That’s all that matters, as far as winning is concerned. She could have sat behind the finish line and let every other contestant pass. She still would have been the true winner, from an athletic perspective.

And lastly, she’s right. Who cares? She had fun. She’s not being paid to “represent America”. She’s there because she’s pursuing an individual hobby of hers.[/quote]

How the fuck can you say she “beat everyone else” if someone else crossed the damn finish line before her? That’s retarded.

That’s like saying someone who had the most stylish dunk won the basketball game even if his team got beat by 10 points.