T Nation

What Am I Missing?

I am doing something wrong, I hope that someone can help me figure it out so I can fix it.

I am 19, weigh about 185lbs at 5’11.

Here is the problem- I have about 10 lbs of fat on me, give or take and I am generally unfit.

I started to workout in November but found it hard to stick to a routine. I finally got my act together and have kept to a cleaner diet and a workout routine for nearly 2 months.

My diet still needs work but it is much better than before…

For breakfast I switched from sugar loaded cereal and pancakes/waffles coverd in syrup to Natural Oatmeal or Eggs(I have oatmeal probably 4 days of the week and eggs 3 days).

Switched lunch from Pizza, fast food, etc…to Tuna, Chicken Breast sandwiches, 100% Wheat Bread Peanut Butter sandwiches…

Dinner has remained mostly the same as I was eating pretty good…

I cut out Poptarts, Chocolate covered granola bars, candy bars, etc…Probably 2000+ calories of sweets.

The problem is, I have not lost an ounce of fat.

I assumed that cutting out that much calories from sweets in addition to all the bad food(cereal, pancakes, fast food etc…) of itself would cause me to lose some fat?

In addition I have been working out 5 days out of the week as opposed to never working out.

I do a day of HIIT and then a day of Bodyweight Strength training, take a day off and then repeat.

Still I have not noticed any fat loss, or any strength improvement…

I have always had a very hard time recovering, even though I am very confident that I am eating enough(and correctly, not as good as it could be but it is pretty good).

Anyone have any ideas as to why I am not noticing any improvement and am having such a hard time recovering?

A possible related problem- I am always tired, I get 8 hrs of sleep and I wake up dead tired. Same goes for 10 hours, 11 hours, 12 hours,etc…

I hope I am missing something very obvious, because that means I can fix it…

ok

not near enough info really, but my initial response would be that you are not eating enough.

With your age, weight and workout available, I would guess you are not consuming enough calories and may even be working out a bit too much.

What your body is doing is storing the available fat. Your description of your sleep leads me towards overtraining or undernourishment. Probably the latter.

Increase your calories by 2-300 per week for a couple weeks and see how you react. Still nothing?? Increase by 2-300 again.

I’m a noob as well but things that have seemed to work for me is taking a daily multivitamin and fish oil capsules. Make a foodlog theres a great online one at www.fitday.com. If you aren’t gaining or losing weight it is possible you are eating on just the maintainence level.

Also how is your workout like? Are you improving in any lifts, are you pushing yourself or are you going through the same motions over and over again and never adding poundage? Are you drinking enough water? Anyone can gain or lose weight as long as they have their diet in check so thats the first thing i would check out.

p.s. Maybe you should start incorporating more fruits and vegetables/ fiber in your diet.

P.P.S. I’m still a noob so there may be many things that i am missing.

[quote]SouthernBrew wrote:
I am doing something wrong, I hope that someone can help me figure it out so I can fix it.

I am 19, weigh about 185lbs at 5’11.

Here is the problem- I have about 10 lbs of fat on me, give or take and I am generally unfit.

I started to workout in November but found it hard to stick to a routine. I finally got my act together and have kept to a cleaner diet and a workout routine for nearly 2 months.

My diet still needs work but it is much better than before…

For breakfast I switched from sugar loaded cereal and pancakes/waffles coverd in syrup to Natural Oatmeal or Eggs(I have oatmeal probably 4 days of the week and eggs 3 days).

Switched lunch from Pizza, fast food, etc…to Tuna, Chicken Breast sandwiches, 100% Wheat Bread Peanut Butter sandwiches…

Dinner has remained mostly the same as I was eating pretty good…

I cut out Poptarts, Chocolate covered granola bars, candy bars, etc…Probably 2000+ calories of sweets.

The problem is, I have not lost an ounce of fat.

I assumed that cutting out that much calories from sweets in addition to all the bad food(cereal, pancakes, fast food etc…) of itself would cause me to lose some fat?

In addition I have been working out 5 days out of the week as opposed to never working out.

I do a day of HIIT and then a day of Bodyweight Strength training, take a day off and then repeat.

Still I have not noticed any fat loss, or any strength improvement…

I have always had a very hard time recovering, even though I am very confident that I am eating enough(and correctly, not as good as it could be but it is pretty good).

Anyone have any ideas as to why I am not noticing any improvement and am having such a hard time recovering?

A possible related problem- I am always tired, I get 8 hrs of sleep and I wake up dead tired. Same goes for 10 hours, 11 hours, 12 hours,etc…

I hope I am missing something very obvious, because that means I can fix it…
[/quote]

You’re missing patience. Two months of half assed diet isn’t going to give miracle results. Your body was probably used to using the sugar as it’s main energy source and now your in the crash.

Look for a solid diet on the site and have some patience. This shit doesn’t happen overnight.

Good luck.

[quote]MaloVerde wrote:

You’re missing patience. Two months of half assed diet isn’t going to give miracle results. Your body was probably used to using the sugar as it’s main energy source and now your in the crash.

Look for a solid diet on the site and have some patience. This shit doesn’t happen overnight.

Good luck.

[/quote]

I agree 100%, and you answered your own ?'s your are half assing a diet and have only been at it a few months.

Nail a soldi diet Use a good program and FOLLOW IT be consistnt with both and give it time.

Phill