T Nation

What am I Missing on the Supplement Shopping List?

Alright all,

I’m deferring to the wisdom of the more experienced folks here. I am creating a supplement list of stuff to pair up with my tub of Jack3d. Here’s what it looks like so far:

1 2lb jug of whey
1 2lb jug of casein
BCAA pills
Creatine mono
Dextrose

I feel like there’s something I’m missing from this list. I mean, potentially 4 of those ingredients can go into the same shake. Am I over-thinking it, or do I need to throw something else on the list? I appreciate any feedback.

P.S. - if the list is too vague, I’ll put the brands and such up there, but I didn’t think it mattered…

Looks complete to me, its pretty much all you need. Fish oil is never a bad thing, you might of not included that in the list though.

you are waaaay overthinking this

Multi-vitamin if your diet isn’t up to snuff? Other than you’ve got pretty much all the bases covered without diving into the “waste of money” supplements.

[quote]Power Tower wrote:
you are waaaay overthinking this[/quote]
Lol, you know…i don’t even use those supplements he listed but i still gave out helpful advice. Where’s yours?

Appreciate the feedback, guys. Even the overthinking. Jase - I do take a simple multivitamin, Centrum Performance. And the waste of money is what I was worried about. I am buying two different protein types because of price considerations, honestly.

For me supplementing depends on my life style at the moment. Though, i do take fish oil everynight no matter what. Love that stuff.

Examples.

No time to cook- Means i order Surge Workout Fuel so i can get up earlier and go to bed later (to cook) so i don’t feel like shit when i work out.

Time to cook- All food and no supplements, food tastes so much better.

No time to cook and having to work a double- Time to break out a high calorie protein shake or two (rarely happens).

Its just all about working around the clock to get my protein and calories in.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[quote]Power Tower wrote:
you are waaaay overthinking this[/quote]
Lol, you know…i don’t even use those supplements he listed but i still gave out helpful advice. Where’s yours?
[/quote]

that was the advice

fish oil.

I don’t know what’s in jacked, or if it already has creatine in it?

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
fish oil.

I don’t know what’s in jacked, or if it already has creatine in it?[/quote]

There is some creatine in Jacked. But I have read/been told that since you only take jacked pre-workout, it isn’t enough to get the desired effect out of the creatine by itself.

Something I thought about and wanted to ask before I buy - I know that dextrose is a good sugar to have for PW meals/shakes, hence putting it on the list. But, there are always fruits (raspberries, strawberries, sometimes blueberries) in my PW shakes. These are not the same kind of sugars, right? I still need the dextrose to help me out, despite having the sugars/carbs from the fruit…?

Edit: Honey is also available to me. Is straight dextrose better than that?

Frosted Flakes > All

Use a whole-food multivitamin, and no there is not enough creatine in jacked to get all the benefits of creatine supplementation.

As others have said, fish oil.

Calcium(w/Magnesium) never hurt either.

vit D

[quote]PrimaryClone wrote:
Something I thought about and wanted to ask before I buy - I know that dextrose is a good sugar to have for PW meals/shakes, hence putting it on the list. But, there are always fruits (raspberries, strawberries, sometimes blueberries) in my PW shakes. These are not the same kind of sugars, right? I still need the dextrose to help me out, despite having the sugars/carbs from the fruit…?

Edit: Honey is also available to me. Is straight dextrose better than that?[/quote]

Dextrose is glucose whereas fruit is generally higher in fructose. Different sugars are used differently in the body and are stored preferentially in different tissues, so yeah I would use the dextrose PW. Berries in particular are relatively low glycemic (slower digesting) carbs. While this is usually a good thing, PW you are looking for higher glycemic stuff.
As far as fruits go, bananas are relatively high glyemic and higher in glucose than many fruits and thus not a bad choice PW. With regard to honey, it is fairly high in glucose but contains fructose as well and so would probably be suitable , but dextrose is way cheaper and mixes more easily so…

BTW, I would consider buying your BCAA as powder rather than pills. You’ll need to take a LOT of pills (10 pills = 10 grams = one serving) to get enough to be effective, and they’re big suckers. Powder tastes pretty bad on it’s own but is still prefferable to choking down all those pills, IMO.