What am I Doing Wrong?

And that’s exactly why I am asking to you

Check some training methods from Paul Carter :wink:

1 Like

You’re asking me to do what I would do?

What other people have said to do is follow a John Meadows program. I would do what those other people have said to do. I wouldn’t wait for even more programs to accumulate and then pick the one I like the most.

Maybe let him be your end all be all for the next twelve months, because, as you say

and see what success, insight, and knowledge comes your way during that time.

1 Like

Free Meadows Program and Diet

Just so I can be the third person to recommend it…

I love his stuff, this very site has a free, very detailed, program that will also build your power lifts, and a diet (which is the most important aspect) is included with options for caloric intakes and workout time.

Now all you have to do is stop thinking and start doing, my friend.

1 Like

I’ve always programmed myself. I prefer bro-splits; currently a 6 day split and training 7 days a week, high volume, a 12-15 rep range and going to failure every working set. It’s what works for me, it might not work for you. I’ve never tried anyone else’s program. I’m a tinkerer by nature and will sometimes try a different exercise to see how it feels while staying within the same general program.

FWIW, what I noticed I do differently than virtually anybody else I see in the gym (apart from training intensity) is that I log everything. I log every rep of every working set of every exercise. I log everything I eat; I used to have to do this by hand, but now there’s apps. I take measurements every week and log those in a spreadsheet. I log everything so that when I’m not making the progress I feel I need to I can look back several weeks or months, or years, and figure out why. But more than that, it helps me make progress. I can look back at last back day and see I did 16 reps on my first set of pull-ups, so this time I’m going for at least 17; or I did curls with 120 lbs for 12 reps so now I’m going to do 13 reps or more and if I hit 15, then it’s time to add more weight to the bar.

Diet logging is the same way. If I’m trying to gain weight and I’m logging that I’m consistently eating 3500 calories every day and my weight and body composition (because I take body measurements) have stagnated, then I can look back and see what changes I need to make. Chances are though that I would need to eat more. Conversely if I’m gaining weight too fast and it appears to be a lot of fat I can see where I need to cut calories: “oh I’m eating 45 grams of peanut butter in the morning, let’s cut that down to 30 grams. Let’s also cut down this pasta from 100g to 50g.” Then we’ll see what progress shows in 3 or 4 weeks.

This is what works for me. :man_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Since you’re giving John Meadows the stink-eye, another free bodybuilding program on this site would be Paul Carter’s Guaranteed Muscle Mass.

There’s your freaking option.

1 Like

Edit: should have read more. Do what was suggested earlier. Weird to say Meadows isn’t the be all end all after running the routine you were running, which would be the “not at all” bodybuilding routine.

1 Like

Because he Is not… He Is a great bodybuilder with huge knowledge, but he Is not the only one, or every single bodybuilder on the earth would train like John Meadows do. Right?

A bodypart split with varying reps, intensities, bar speeds, exercises, and rest periods? Yeah, most bodybuilders train like that, dude. For you to come in here and say you’re a bodybuilder, then lay out the split that you did, shows that you may not know much about how bodybuilders actually train. It’s not that there aren’t other options - it’s that you have zero reason to look elsewhere. This thread could have been 7 replies, with you listening to @strongmangoals and using a search engine to find that Meadows routine in like 8 seconds. It’s like in Breaking Bad, when Walter could have just let his friend pay for his treatment, which would have been successful, but instead he had to go cook meth. Don’t cook meth.

7 Likes

Worth considering.

6 Likes

You legit made my day with that Breaking Bad reference haha

2 Likes

take-home point:

OP, stop asking for more options or A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL GET SHOT OR BLOWN UP AND DIE

1 Like

how much weight have you gained in the past 4 months? Is it 8kg? If you didn’t gain that, then you didn’t actually gain .5kg per week. You can’t just ‘aim for it’. You have to achieve it for it to work. Otherwise, you aren’t eating enough and you need to eat more.

EDIT:

So there’s your answer. You didn’t eat enough. Problem solved. You’re not even close to eating enough relative to your goals. Do better.

You’re absolutely way too fixated on finding the perfect program. Your programming has WAY less to do with not reaching your goals than eating does.

1 Like

Do deep water

5 Likes

Let’s not be crazy here. If he can’t settle on Meadows, he’ll never last in deep waters.

2 Likes

The only reason I’d not choose Meadows is that his programs are not straight-forward: exercises and rep ranges are always varying and, while extremely effective for sure, it makes me a Little “anxhious” (please don’t blame me, it’s just my personality). Moreover, since i am training in a garage Gym with barbells and dumbells only, It might be hard to figure out alternatives for everything in Meadows programs. It’s not that “i can’t settle on Meadows” or that i cannot borrow some of his principles.

This is EXTREMELY relevant information and needed to be included in the opening post.

You will not be able to do DC training with your current set up.

2 Likes

You’re right but deepwater looks hard and fun

It’s a fantastic program, but since your goal is bodybuilding, it’s not what I would do.

However Jon also released a bodybuilding oriented Deep Water program, and it also looks insane, but as I have no bodybuilding experience, I cannot vouch for it.