What About When You're The Idiot?

I pulled a moron maneuver yesterday at the gym that I posted about in my log. This got me thinking. We all have a million stories about the tools we see in the gym (See squat rack curls). Isn’t it great when we’re the idiot?

Yesterday I tore a callous off my left hand doing deadlifts and wanted to work out more so I decided to finish up with high box squats. Last Sunday I had done them with a trainer and got to 275. I thought if I only went to 225 that would be way easy and safe-ish.

One of the reasons I love my gym is that it isn’t crowded and yesterday it was me and one other guy (wearing an ipod) in the weight room. On my second rep I got pinned to the box and I had no idea how to get off. I just sat there holding the weight on my back. I was afraid to go forward to hit the rack so I just sat there watching myself go redder and redder waiting to have a stroke, listening to the voice in my head saying fuck, fuck, fuck I’m such a retard.

I had to yell loud and repeatedly to get the guys attention. I finally got it and he was easily able to pull the weight off me.

The worst part is that he then proceeded to tell me how dangerous squats are and at Family Fitness they have a machine that you can use to squat and it’s much safer. I said, “you mean a smith machine?” That’s the one! he says. Since I was just rescued after pulling a moron move, I was hardly in a position to argue.

Next time, I’ll use the rubber weights and just let it drop.

So I can’t be the only one that’s looked like a twat working out. Who else has a story of their own gym stupidity?

O

ps. the guy is probably on here somewhere posting about the stupid lady at the gym yesterday.

I can’t think of a time that this has happened to me, but I feel for you!

Yikes you fed the Anti Free Weight Movement!

[quote]yasser wrote:

The worst part is that he then proceeded to tell me how dangerous squats are and at Family Fitness

Yikes you fed the Anti Free Weight Movement![/quote]

I know. I’m so ashamed.

Hey, shit happens to us all. What kind of experience would weight lifting be without a few idiot moments to look back at.

I’ve stapled myself with a squat a few times. No big deal, just embarassing until I stopped giving a shit 4 seconds afterward.

Now, if you needed a spot in the smith machine, or on any machine for that matter, and I’d be obligated to make fun of you endlessly.

(You’re squatting more than quite a lot of gym folk, so I’m sure you are prudent with the machines)

[quote]djoh615893 wrote:
Hey, shit happens to us all. What kind of experience would weight lifting be without a few idiot moments to look back at.

I’ve stapled myself with a squat a few times. No big deal, just embarassing until I stopped giving a shit 4 seconds afterward.

Now, if you needed a spot in the smith machine, or on any machine for that matter, and I’d be obligated to make fun of you endlessly.

(You’re squatting more than quite a lot of gym folk, so I’m sure you are prudent with the machines)[/quote]

The truth is I find these moments funny as hell. You know, after you unfuse your vertebrae. If I can’t make fun of myself, I look like an hypocrite when I make fun of everyone else.

I ripped my undies one time while doing deadlifts. Luckily no one could see that!! :wink:

But I have a gazillion “I’m an idiot” stories!!

Hey, you have to laugh at yourself…if you don’t then you do look like a moron.

Geesh 275lbs…you’re my hero chickee!!

B-3

I posted this one a couple of years ago in the Squat-Rack Curls thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=480680&pageNo=44#1083552

I once got pinned to the bench with something like 65 pounds. I just stalled out half way up. Ended up sitting up with the weight, turning around and upright rowing it to the rack. Then I got pissed because I could upright row the damn thing but couldn’t bench it. I don’t think anyone really noticed though.

That event scarred me for life and I now refuse to bench without a spotter. Even with light weight.

PS…It sounds like your squat is coming along very nicely, nonetheless. Good Job!

I once got pinned to the bench with 95lbs. The thing was that it was 3am and I was alone in the gym which made it not terribly embaressing for anyone but me and my pride, lol. I just tipped it over and sat up.

Then there was the first time I ever DL 135. When I was deloading the bar I took one plates off and the weight from the other end crashed the the plate and bar to the floor… it was loud :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I once got pinned to the bench with something like 65 pounds. I just stalled out half way up. Ended up sitting up with the weight, turning around and upright rowing it to the rack. Then I got pissed because I could upright row the damn thing but couldn’t bench it. I don’t think anyone really noticed though.

That event scarred me for life and I now refuse to bench without a spotter. Even with light weight.

[/quote]

Hahahahhaah. Good job.

Anytime you move serious weight you run the risk of looking like an idiot.

Stapling yourself to the floor on a set of squats is NOTHING compared to the embarrasement of doing unweighted reverse-hypers on a swiss ball. On top of a bench.

[quote]BodyBldgBabe wrote:
I ripped my undies one time while doing deadlifts. Luckily no one could see that!! :wink:

But I have a gazillion “I’m an idiot” stories!!

Hey, you have to laugh at yourself…if you don’t then you do look like a moron.

Geesh 275lbs…you’re my hero chickee!!

B-3[/quote]

I have a million stories too. That one was bad mostly because of the lecture about how unsafe squats are. I could have let him in on what a hardcore, warrior I really am. Sometimes I run with scissors and I cut the tags off my pillows…

Thanks for the compliment about the squat weight but they were high box so they sound better than they are.

o

Too many people here do box squats.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Too many people here do box squats.[/quote]

because they are amazing for building a bigger suited squat. I don’t even regular squat until I’m prepping for a meet.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Too many people here do box squats.

because they are amazing for building a bigger suited squat. I don’t even regular squat until I’m prepping for a meet.[/quote]

I think they have a big place for people that compete but they are not necessary for beginners that will never compete.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
About 2 weeks ago, I took off the tricep rope from a cable machine and clipped on the wide pulldown attachment instead, which is about 3 feet long, solid metal and pretty heavy.

Anyway, I went to do my set of straight-arm pushdowns for some lat isolation, and realised that the weight was to heavy.

I bent down to the stack and pulled the pin out. Donk! Went the bar, on the top of my head as the extra weight of the thing overcame the weight of the stacl without any plates on it.

Fortunately, only 4 other people were in there at the time, however they were all pointing at me and laughing.

Bushy[/quote]

Hahahah…I’ve done this too.

I also tend to sit up off of a decline bench press and smack the shit out of the top of my head on the barbell…agonizing, yet hilarious.

I wasn’t there to witness this, I wish I was…but a friend of mine had 405 loaded on the smith machine, doing calf raises…and somehow he managed to let it drop from shoulder height to the ground. That woulda been priceless to witness.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Too many people here do box squats.[/quote]

I’m not objecting. I’d just like to hear your reasons why.

Aside from the fact that if you don’t stay tight when you land on the box you can really fuck yourself up. And that if you rock off the box you can fuck yourself up. And that you don’t train yourself to utilize the stretch reflex out of the hole. And that you might be the guy whose putting way too much weight on the bar because you’re using a 24’ plyo box to squat off.

Did I miss anything? They’re easier to teach, they’re easier to recover from, and there’s no doubt that you’ve hit your desired depth. When they’re done correctly they’re also a damn good exercise. You already knew all that, but do you have any other reasons why people are doing box squats too much? It would seem like if you were doing DC you could do Box Squats for your heavy quad exercise then hack squats for your widowmaker set.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:

[/quote]

I had a similar experiance. When Fight Club came out my friends and I saw it and immediately went to the parking lot of the closest Winn-Dixie to fight.

I got my ass kicked by everyone. I was 6’ 4", 140ish lbs.

So the next day I went to the gym for the first time with one of the people who I had lost to the previous night. Of course we started with bench. He explained it to me and I took the bar and started to rep it out. He saw a friend and went over to talk. On rep 6 I got pinned. With the bar.

A woman walking by noticed me and helped pull it off me. I was so embarrassed I left the gym while my friend was still talking.

That’s the main story, but I did hit myself in the nuts doing t-bar rows once. You learn not to do that again.