What a.......

[quote]Blood is Metal wrote:
The guy’s comment under his breath… “Your obviously a nut…”

HILARIOUS! And spot on.

Altho, it is aggravating, in my opinion, that certain media uses their position to editorialize, but that’s a topic for another time.

REPORT. That’s your only obligation.[/quote]

Spot on. I can’t stand when reporters editorialize either. And on a related note, I can’t stand people who call themselves Christian and are clearly anything but. I equally can’t stand this war that is costing us so much in money, faith, stability, security, willpower, etc. Nor can I stand Bush. Or borderline insane Democrats. Fuck, I really hate the current state of politics…

I hope she’s burned alive.

She has a painted on smile like the joker…I keep waiting for her to say ‘God will get you, Batman’!

Sick Woman…

Those are the kind of people who give religion a bad name.

[quote]Billmelater138 wrote:
orion wrote:

I think I will never understand how religious people , or any people, distinguish between rational faith systems and irrational ones.

I know that, contrary to most people that call themselves christians, this woman really believes.

She has swallowed it hook, line and sinker. The whole bronze age nomadic desert dwelling tribe holy scripture Iam/allwayshavebeen/allwayswillbe i.e Jahwe…

However she is considered to be strange by people who have watered down their own religion in order to fit in…

I?m just standing on the sidelines being mindboggled…

She IS strange. you don’t find her strange? you think christianity is rationalizing the deaths of thousands of people who have commited no crime? if you think that is what christianity is supposed to look like, i don’t think you understand what it is. [/quote]

I really do not know what it is supposed to look like, christians themselves do not seem to be able to make up their minds.

I think her views could well be supported with the bible, the ancient Jahwe is very clear and decisive when it comes to slaying his enemies.

The mindset I do not get is this:

Well, I have my fairy tales and she has hers, but mine are somehow more rational, responsible, sane, though all these fairy tales even have the same roots.

Once you enter intellectual lala-land, do those petty differences really matter? The original sin has allready happened , you have abandoned reason, how could you be surprised that some people, like her, simply go all the way…

All she is is a TRUE believer.

Yes, that is what they look like.

I was shocked by 2 things:

1: What this woman was rambling on about (although I’ve heard it all before).

2: That I almost agreed with Fox TV.

Orion, I have the same viewpoint as you. I don’t see how you can cross the line and know with absolute certainty when to stop walking, so I’m just standing on this side of the line and waiting it out.

That said, I do not agree with the Iraq war, or any other war; but if a soldier is dead, let his/her family grieve them. A funeral is not the place where you’re going to change anything.

[quote]Miserere wrote:

2: That I almost agreed with Fox TV.[/quote]

HAHAHAHA! Totally there with you.

[quote]orion wrote:
I really do not know what it is supposed to look like, christians themselves do not seem to be able to make up their minds.

I think her views could well be supported with the bible, the ancient Jahwe is very clear and decisive when it comes to slaying his enemies.

The mindset I do not get is this:

Well, I have my fairy tales and she has hers, but mine are somehow more rational, responsible, sane, though all these fairy tales even have the same roots.

Once you enter intellectual lala-land, do those petty differences really matter? The original sin has allready happened , you have abandoned reason, how could you be surprised that some people, like her, simply go all the way…

All she is is a TRUE believer.

Yes, that is what they look like. [/quote]

Christians follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. There are Bibles that have Jesus’ quotes printed in red ink so you don’t even have to look hard to find exactly what Christ said. Go read everything that Jesus himself said, and you will find the basic tenets of Christianity.

These people are NOT following those teachings. They are NOT Christians.

I had written more, but I bit my tongue. Let me just say that I strongly disagree with your two posts in this thread Orion.

Your not understanding religion does not by itself give you an objective opinion of it.

Modok and tGunslinger,

I am not trying to pick a fight about religion.

It is just that over the course of the last few months people on this forum that call themselves christians (and I think you could expand that to every other faith) have supported their point of view with the bible.

All of them have used parts they liked and ignored parts they disliked. There is a lot of cherry picking going on and christians do not even seem to be able to agree on what cherries to pick.

F.E. homosexuality is a sin, according to the bible, but so are a gazillion of other things like touching a pigs skin on shabbath, etc, you both know the list is endless, but only some abominations seem to be a matter of concern for todays christians.

She basically does the same, and by judging her you are using todays mores that are extremely non-biblical in some areas. She is probably closer to the biblical truth than both of you and since it is all based on faith there is no way to say who is right anyway, unless of course you can vote on what is true, which of course happens in reality, but cannot be admitted by you, because it undermines your faith to see it as mere social conventions in an easily digestable cultural package.

Of course I see the difference between people like you and her when it comes to who I would rather have as my neighbour, but I am completely unable to see how people like you are able to explain the underlying problem, irrationality of faith systems, away by simply saying: Well, she is no true christian.

People like you have a mild form and she has the fully developed one of the "things must be true because I wanna and my parents have told me " syndrom.

I am interested how you can intellectually separate between the validity of the things she believes in and the things you believe in, except of course you are using basically utilitarian arguments, which you should not be able to do, believing in a higher power from which moral absolutes are derived.

When does wishful thinking go to far?

What constitutes going to far?

If I am convinced that my god demands it, could anything go to far?

If I answer this question with yes, am I a fanatic or a true believer or does that depend on what I am convinced my god demands me to do?

I know that religious people somehow manage to get all those ideas to coexist inside their heads and I am very interested in finding out how the hell they do it.

PS: If those questions seem like an attempt to try to pick a fight about religion it would be disturbing; religions have been around for quite a while and I can hardly be the first to ask those questions.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
Those are the kind of people who give religion a bad name.[/quote]

These are the kind of people that give mammals a bad name.

Good, no… excellent post, orion.

[quote]orion wrote:
I know that religious people somehow manage to get all those ideas to coexist inside their heads and I am very interested in finding out how the hell they do it.
[/quote]

I’ve been studying this fascinating subject for quite some time. The best explanation I have found for this is “by feel”. Religious folks have a kind of cognitive dissonance which turns itself on at various points dependent upon several factors; upbringing, life experience, education level, etc.

I’ve noticed that most religious folks get really superstitious (irrational) when the subject is about death. Somehow, the concept of oblivion short-circuits their rationality and the fairy tale kicks in. I had always assumed that this was due to simple fear, but the more I talk about this with folks, the more I realize that it is more of a satisfaction of mystery than anything else.

In other words, it’s not that they fear oblivion more than us, it’s that they feel satisfied by an answer which makes no sense where we are more able to say “Life ends, and this is okay. It is the way of everything.”

Then I realized that this “mystery satisfaction” applied to the other stuff we contend with them about on these forums. Don’t believe in Evolution? Are they crazy? No. They just have weaker sales resistance. :slight_smile:

http://www.samharris.org/index.php/samharris/television/

WHAT THE HELL WAS HER POINT ???

She kept saying that the soldiers were dying because of Gods’ wrath, but, what does she mean? She is for the war or against it? I can’t work out if she wants the soldiers to unleash a Holy Wrath on the enemy, or preach to the enemy? Or embrace the enemy? Also, why doesn’t God unleash his wrath on the enemy? Is the U.S army the enemy? Or specifically, only the soldiers who died - did they do something wrong that earned Gods’ wrath, where all the other non-dead soldiers are doing fine by God?

Weird.

Clear example why throughout human history it is against the law/tribe to marry your cousin.

Don’t forget: this lady votes.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

Don’t forget: this lady votes.

[/quote]

And procreates…

She is NUTS. No wonder some people hate christians. If she was the only christian I knew, I’d hate them too. What a wack-job. Makes me mad too.

I mean 80% of that church was her family. Cmon. That thing is a cult if I’ve ever seen one. Let’s all take turns at that church brainwashing each other. Here’s a passage that I doubt few will read.

Philippians 2:1-4
1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Every true christian strives for this. To consider every person above themselves and look out for one another.

And to address what someone said about religion earlier and how we cannot make our minds, every sport, political swing, religion, etc has their lunatics. Even on T-Nation, you can find plenty of trainers or posters that swing wide the pendulum of extremes. You’ll always have one voice in the crowd thats severely different than all else but claim to be apart of the group. How can one crazy group of 100 people speak for Christianity ranging in the millions?

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
[/quote]

I hope she’s buried alive.

[quote]Tank53 wrote:

And to address what someone said about religion earlier and how we cannot make our minds, every sport, political swing, religion, etc has their lunatics. Even on T-Nation, you can find plenty of trainers or posters that swing wide the pendulum of extremes. You’ll always have one voice in the crowd thats severely different than all else but claim to be apart of the group. How can one crazy group of 100 people speak for Christianity ranging in the millions? [/quote]

It is not so much what she says, but the mindset she shares with religious people in general, which is perpetuated by moderate religious people, that it is ok to believe,say and do downright grazy shit as long as it is “religion”.

Looking in from the outside it is not surprising if one of them snaps and flies a plane into a building to meet 72 virgins.

Hot virgins, maybe Britney Spears in her first video…

Nice choppers.

[quote]johnny_law wrote:

She has a painted on smile like the joker…I keep waiting for her to say ‘God will get you, Batman’!

Sick Woman…[/quote]

Haha! I was totally thinking that she looked like the Joker, too!

[quote]GaMeOvEr305 wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:

I hope she’s buried alive.[/quote]

I hope she’s feed into a woodchipper very slowly feet first.

Wow that struck every fucking nerve in my body. After watching this 1 minute clip I’m ready to go on a shooting rampage and kill them all. How do you people actually see them protesting on a street corner and not hurt them. Can’t believe their church hasn’t been burnt to the ground. I sincerely hope someone bombs them, preferably with a homemade I.E.D.