T Nation

What a pansy!

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - An Icelandic fishing captain, known as “the Iceman” for his tough character, grabbed a 660-pound shark with his bare hands as it swam in shallow water toward his crew, a witness said Thursday.

The skipper of the trawler “Erik the Red” was on a beach in Kuummiit, east Greenland, watching his crew processing a catch when he saw the shark swimming toward the fish blood and guts – and his men.

Captain Sigurdur Petursson, known to locals as “the Iceman,” ran into the shallow water and grabbed the shark by its tail. He dragged it off to dry land and killed it with his knife.

“He caught it just with his hands. There was a lot of blood in the sea and the shark came in and he thought it was dangerous,” Frede Kilime, a hunter and fisherman who watched from the beach, told Reuters by phone from Greenland.

Icelandic author and journalist Reynir Traustason, who knows the trawler captain, said the act was typical of the man.

“He’s called ‘the Iceman’ because he isn’t scared of anything,” he said. “I know the people in that part of the world. They are really tough.”

A true T-Man.

Dude’s definitely got a film career ahead of him, like that alligator-wrestling Australian bloke.

I used to live in Iceland…

Those guys up there are insane!

TC should do a article about this guy, he defenitely sounds like a t-man… the ancestors of those vikings dont take smack from anybody !

Now that is a story!

I wold love to read more about this guy. How tall is he? How much does he weigh?

I agree T-Mag needs to do a stroy on this guy.

Atmosphere, you lived in this part of the world? Can you relay any stories of what you have seen?

He probably had a pint of liquor in him.

the act was typical of the man

I can see it now - he goes home to his wife who asks “How was your day?”

“Oh the usual - caught some fish, killed a shark with my bare hands. Same old, same old.”

On another note, I thought sharks only swam in warmer waters.

Well I don’t have much as far as stories since I was 5 when I lived there but…

I do remember going to the fishing docks and seeing big, burly, beasts down there. Definatly fearless T-men!

I also think T-mag should do a story on this guy.

Zeb, where are you living?

That, I would’ve liked to see! I think I got a new hero. (Sorry TC) Let’s here more about him.
Billy

The fact they go to sea in relatively small craft in those waters pretty well weeds out the pussies up front. Commercial fishing is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world and the colder the water the worse it is.

Yeah, they’re pretty damn tough.

Steeleyes, my dad grew up as a commercial fisherman and then he opened up his own seafood dock. I’ve also grown up around commercial fisherman. It’s a tough living and many of these guys are skiny as a rail but tough as nails. I’ve worked on my dad’s seafood docks since I was a little kid. We would unload an ungodly amount of seafood by hand out of the boats. We would shovel tens of thousands of pounds of fish a day into the conveyers. Ah the memories. It’s not as cold where I’m at south of New Orleans. But they still fish on the river and in the gulf of Mexico.

I’m sure those guys up there are tough and all, but a 660-pound shark by the tail? Am I the only one here who smells bullshit?

Try holding a 50-pound fish - any fish - by the tail in water and you’ll very quickly see how difficult it is to keep the thing from swimming away with you. Unless this shark was already more or less beached, or unless this guy weighs more than about 1200 pounds himself, I can’t see how it’d be possible.

Yah it is hard, if he really did it i bet the shark scratched him up good, i mean their skin is pretty abrasive. But if that happened to me i would promptly piss myself and not do a damn thing. Go Iceman!

Snifffff…

Oh…Ummm…

Sorry Char…that ah… was me.

S’cuse me.

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you different”

~ Kurt Vonnegut

Well, he hasn’t done what his brother did… yet. Snared a polar bear (but he was later sued for that here in Iceland) I’ll see if I can find a picture of him for you guys. The shark hunter that is…