T Nation

What A Difference 9 Weeks Makes

Hey guys, just writing a quick little story regarding my recent success and return to the iron game. Up until 9 weeks ago, i hadn’t worked out for about a year. Got lazy and made excuses…and the more time spent outside of the gym, the more atrophy and strength-loss set in, the harder it was to be motivated or confident to go back to working out. A friend introduced me to his gym and we made a plan to work out together and it pushed me off my couch. He’s a short vin-diesel built dude and motivated me to strive for more and improve my strength and physique.

I started things slow the first 2-3 weeks, lower volume then i was accustomed to prior to my long vacation from weight-training and obviously a lot less weight. Also concentrated almost exclusively on machines to built up my strength and confidence for when i would approach free weights and compound movements. After 2-3 weeks, i then made the switch to free weights and compound exercises supported by a select few isolation movements etc. Re-introduced myself to military presses, deadlifts (how i love thee!), squats, leg presses, bench press ( incline, flat, dumbell, barbell etc), shrugs,dips, chins, bent-over rows, pull downs, french presses etc. 

I started at 170 lbs with an unreasonable bf % (wasn't fat but had a little bit of love handles and a small gut, and wasn't as hard and defined as i use to be). Now, about 9 weeks later i am 177 lbs (5ft9) and figure that i lost atleast 2-3 lbs of fat and replaced it with muscle. So i reckon i gained atleast 9 lbs of muscle and lost a little body fat. So I made a gain of about 1 lbs of muscle per week and my strength is improving in leaps and bounds. 

I, ofcourse, made a few significant changes to my diet as well. Got rid of the concentrated juice, and now drink mainly lots of water everyday. Eat cottage cheese before bed, eat about 5 moderate sized meals a day, eat clean protein (non-battered fish, skinless boneless chicken breasts, lean steak, natural peanut butter, flax seed oil), vegetables such as salad, broccoli, carrots, peas, fruits (oranges, bananas, apples, melons, mixed berries etc.), Whole grain wheats and such. It's amazing how my results  has improved my confidence from where it use to be. Eat right, put in the time, energy, and concerted effort and you can achieve your goals. I love the iron game and wonder why i ever left...

Overall goal: 185 lbs 10-12% bf (5ft9)

fucking well done man, keep that shit going

Yeah, i am pretty psyched. Now that i have the determination, adherence to a good diet and routine, my success has been great. I am just going to keep on keeping on and reach my goals. Just satisfying that i am starting to put on some real muscle. Use to be a scrawny runt and had a difficult time putting on size (prolly attribute to lack of weight-training knowledge and a poor diet).

[quote]Xphobicas wrote:
Hey guys, just writing a quick little story regarding my recent success and return to the iron game. Up until 9 weeks ago, i hadn’t worked out for about a year. Got lazy and made excuses…and the more time spent outside of the gym, the more atrophy and strength-loss set in, the harder it was to be motivated or confident to go back to working out. A friend introduced me to his gym and we made a plan to work out together and it pushed me off my couch. He’s a short vin-diesel built dude and motivated me to strive for more and improve my strength and physique.

I started things slow the first 2-3 weeks, lower volume then i was accustomed to prior to my long vacation from weight-training and obviously a lot less weight. Also concentrated almost exclusively on machines to built up my strength and confidence for when i would approach free weights and compound movements. After 2-3 weeks, i then made the switch to free weights and compound exercises supported by a select few isolation movements etc. Re-introduced myself to military presses, deadlifts (how i love thee!), squats, leg presses, bench press ( incline, flat, dumbell, barbell etc), shrugs,dips, chins, bent-over rows, pull downs, french presses etc. 

I started at 170 lbs with an unreasonable bf % (wasn't fat but had a little bit of love handles and a small gut, and wasn't as hard and defined as i use to be). Now, about 9 weeks later i am 177 lbs (5ft9) and figure that i lost atleast 2-3 lbs of fat and replaced it with muscle. So i reckon i gained atleast 9 lbs of muscle and lost a little body fat. So I made a gain of about 1 lbs of muscle per week and my strength is improving in leaps and bounds. 

I, ofcourse, made a few significant changes to my diet as well. Got rid of the concentrated juice, and now drink mainly lots of water everyday. Eat cottage cheese before bed, eat about 5 moderate sized meals a day, eat clean protein (non-battered fish, skinless boneless chicken breasts, lean steak, natural peanut butter, flax seed oil), vegetables such as salad, broccoli, carrots, peas, fruits (oranges, bananas, apples, melons, mixed berries etc.), Whole grain wheats and such. It's amazing how my results  has improved my confidence from where it use to be. Eat right, put in the time, energy, and concerted effort and you can achieve your goals. I love the iron game and wonder why i ever left...

Overall goal: 185 lbs 10-12% bf (5ft9)[/quote]

That is excellent work!

awesome progress

Congratulations on your achievements, keep up the good work!

Stories like this make me happy.