What 5/3/1 Forever Template to Run In-Season?

Coach Wendler, I just got your 531 forever book and it’s awesome! Quick question though, during a sports season (lacrosse for me), what program would you run? I know you usually prescribe Krypteia or Beginner Prep to athletes in the offseason, but what about Inseason? Thank you for your time.

Do you have a coach?

A strength coach? If so then no.

This might be helpfull, even though it’s from before ‘5/3/1 Forever’: 5/3/1 and Athletes

Thanks for the link. I noticed there’s no supplemental work in that program (FSL, BBB, etc) Does Wendler usually completely cut out supplemental work in season?

Thanks. I also find this one and it looks good 531 and Basketball

That article is written long before ‘5/3/1 Forever’ was published, so it’s more in line with “old” 5/3/1, ergo no supplemental stuff.

1 Like

***I have already posted this in the “531 coaching” forum section, but I’m not getting any responses so I figured Id post here too.

So I’ve gathered some info from my previous question here What 5/3/1 Forever Template to Run In-Season? so now I want to share what my plan is for this short fall ball season, and maybe get some insight on it. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Before Games Start:

Practice 4x a week (maybe 1 extra day of light skills only too), Lift 2x a week
Lifting plan:
Workout A-
Squat 5s Pro, 3x5 FSL superset box jumps (supersetted on warm ups only)
Bench 5s Pro, 3x5 FSL
Assistance- Push, Pull, Single Leg/Core: 25-50 total reps each (pulling supersetted with squat & bench sets)

Workout B-
Deadlift 5s Pro, 3x5 FSL superset mb throws (supersetted on warmups only)
Press 5s Pro, 3x5 FSL
Assistance- Push, Pull, Single Leg/Core: 25-50 total reps each (pulling supersetted with deadlift & press sets)

When Games Start:

Weekend Tournaments (Sat & Sun), Practice 3x a week (maybe 1 extra day of light skills only too), Lift 2x a week
Lifting Plan:
Same as above but supplemental (FSL) work is removed and assistance work is reduced.

Notes:

1. Probably will incorporate a little conditioning (in the form of running) on 1 practice session a week
  2. 85% TM
  3. Agile 8 2x a day everyday
  4. 8 hours sleep
  5. Eat to preform and recover

How long have you been playing lacrosse, and how long have you been doing various forms of 5/3/1?

Wow thanks for the quick response appreciate that.

Been playing lacrosse for 8 years (8-16yrs old), and I’m very “advanced” at it ( #12th ranked junior year lacrosse recruit in the country).

Lifting wise I’ve messed around with 5/3/1 before, but not consistent with it for more than 3 weeks I think. That’s why I think 5’s pro is a good option for me as someone relatively new to 5/3/1 (but not new to lifting), and as an athlete that needs room for recovery for other stuff. Again appreciate the feedback!

Oh and I have 5/3/1 second edition, Beyond 5/3/1, and I just got 5/3/1 Forever.

Yep… I think your set up looks good. If you see a drop off in your ability to recover I might even suggest not doing FSL. Other wise I think you have a good handle on it.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Just my 2c but for assistance, may I suggest focusing on unilateral work? Sports tends to favor your dominant limb, so doing unilateral work should help with imbalances. So for example for bench, instead of choosing let’s say incline bench as assistance, do DB incline bench instead. And yeah, don’t sweat out having to drop FSL at times when you need to

Thanks for the tip!