Westside Workout Plan

Hey, I have been reading up on the Westside style of working out, and wondered if this is a correct way to put the workout together.

Monday
ME Squat:
Good Mornings: Warm up then do sets of 3 and work to 1RM
Glute Ham Raises: 3x8
Reverse Hypers: 3x8
Pull Down Abs: 5x10
Straight Leg Raises: 3x20

Tuesday
ME Bench:
Board Presses: Warm up then do sets of 3 and work to 1RM
JM Presses: 6x10
Push Downs: 3x10
One Arm Press: 3x15

Wednesday
DE Squat:
Box Squats: 10x2 at 55% of 1RM
Reverse Hypers: 3x8
One Leg Squats: 4x10
Dumbbell Rows: 4x6
Barbell Shrugs: 3x15

Thursday
DE Bench:
Bench Press: 10x3 at 60% 1RM with 3 different grips.
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 4x8
Dumbbell Side Raises: 3x10
Bent Over Dumbbell Side Raises: 3x10

This is my first shot at the Westside style training, so any comments are appreciated.

Also - are board presses the same as doing pin lockouts on the bench press? my coach said they are, but I don’t know.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

It looks like you must’ve copied this from an old template. Just remember to be fast on speed days and lift heavy as you can on max effort days.

And board presses are different than pin presses but like pin presses work the lockout. look up board presses on elite in their exercise index for pics.

What is lacking from this template is upper back work. You should do some form of row twice a week and try to hit your upper back/lats at least 3 times a week. Also, throw in some DB presses on bench days once a week.

Thanks for the reply.

On which days should I add the lat/upper back work?

The basic outline is ok. Just realize that you will be cycling your ME work and your assistane exercises. I change ME work every week and assistance whenever it goes stale. Keep it changing and you’ll be good. Also, you are gonna want to vary your resistance using bands or chains or neither or both on the DE work.

Lastly, board presses and lockouts are different. Lockouts or pin presses are meant to be a concentric only motion- meaning you only go up. Ideally the weight should be dropped back onto the pins not lowered. Board presses are done by brining the wieght down then pressing it back.

Good luck. All I can say is read read read.

[quote]slither101 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

On which days should I add the lat/upper back work?[/quote]

I’d do 4-5 sets of chest supported rows, t-bar rows, bb rows, db rows, seated rows on bench days. go heavy on one day and the other day should be for more volume. i’d do pullups or lat pulls on 1 lower body day to add some volume. lat pulldowns aren’t a taxing exercise but good to throw in for some added volume which will add size.

[quote]slither101 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

On which days should I add the lat/upper back work?[/quote]
The only problem with your version of the template is you do your ME on back to back days which could leave you fatigued on your second consecutive ME day. Obviously, the squat/dead and bench are your focus. But upper back and/or lats can/should be trained at least twice a week if not more. There’s not really a right or wrong way to do it either. Face Pulls are a must exercise though. Shrugs and Rows of course are mandatory.

If you’re going to train 4 days in a row your recovery will need to be on point. You’re only going to get 48 hours in between workouts (upper and upper, lower and lower) instead of the usual 72.

Your templates look fine, but feel free to play around with sets/reps on your accessories. Also, when using GM’s as a max exercise it’s usually better to do a 3RM instead of a 1RM. Lastly, rotate ME exercises every week. I tried the old 3 weeks with the same ME exercise and found rotating every week was much better progress wise.