Westside Template?

Anybody know where I can find a west-side template? i was on the website and read some of the articles and got a lot of information. I get the main idea, i just have no idea how to set it up. Im confused about changing exercises on ME days. help anybody?

google westside barbell template

[quote]brewcrew78 wrote:
google westside barbell template[/quote]

i did and im not sure that i can trust how reliable the sources are. west-side is something a lot of people have so i can be skewered one way or another.

You can trust that because I am the source of that link and not just some random person on the internet.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

You can trust that because I am the source of that link and not just some random person on the internet.[/quote]

That was awesome. Personally, I think it works best if you have a team to train with. There’s a reason the people that have the most success with it train at a powerlifting gym.

I once made a westside template myself. It’s more or less of a summary from different books and articles, written by Dave Tate and Jim Wendler. Some parts are quoted literally and I have no means of taking credit for them, what I did is put all of the important info together in one “template”.

Download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/414314383/Westside_Barbell.doc

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

Hi,
Maybe some of you guys can help me out.

I’m trying to figure out how to do a Westside program. I’ve read Wendler’s description of the basic template, but there are a few thing I don’t get. I understand the concepts of DE, ME, and RE, but for triceps and shoulder there should be a high intensity and a low intensity day. Is the low intensity day done as DE or RE, and is high intensity ME or RE? If low intensity is RE, is it then with lower reps than the usual 4x15 with a weight you can do cold like Louie recommends in an article on the Westside-pages?
And then there is the hamstrings, lower back and abs. I’m guessing all of it done as RE not DE, right?

Just keep in mind that it takes time to find the ME and supplementary exercises that will work best for you.

[quote]captaincalvert wrote:
Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to do a Westside program. I’ve read Wendler’s description of the basic template, but there are a few thing I don’t get. I understand the concepts of DE, ME, and RE, but for triceps and shoulder there should be a high intensity and a low intensity day. Is the low intensity day done as DE or RE, and is high intensity ME or RE? If low intensity is RE, is it then with lower reps than the usual 4x15 with a weight you can do cold like Louie recommends in an article on the Westside-pages?
And then there is the hamstrings, lower back and abs. I’m guessing all of it done as RE not DE, right?[/quote]

I would suggest going into the authors section on here, finding Dave Tate, and then reading basically every article he has. Most of them are about conjugate training, and Louie also has tons and tons of articles on the westside website about conjugate training. Spend a few hours reading through Dave’s and Louie’s articles and you will find everything you need.

[quote]captaincalvert wrote:
Hi,

And then there is the hamstrings, lower back and abs. I’m guessing all of it done as RE not DE, right?[/quote]

Usually the first exercise of the day is either ME or DE. All others will be repeated effort. It’s a pretty simple breakdown if you think about it. You get your DE or ME work in first, and then hit all the muscles used with repeated effort work. For example

DE Bench 8x3
4x15 Tricep movement (RE)
4x12 Upperback / Lat movement (RE)
4x10 Shoulder / Delt movement (RE)

This is an excerpt from the article that might help illustrate it too:

2 days devoted to the bench press
2 days devoted to the squat/deadlift
2 days devoted to dynamic training
2 days devoted to max effort training
4 days devoted to repetition training

I think Jim Wendler came out with the high intensity / low intensity tricep stuff – personally I’ve never used it maybe he can chime in here? However I’m pretty confident in saying that both the high & low intensity days would be repeated effort work.

Thanks frankjl. That’s the answer I was looking for. I suspected it was like that, and that Jim had tinkered a bit with it.

Basically with the high and low intensity days for triceps Tate or Wendler or whoever usually mean that on your DE day you will hit triceps with very high intensity because your benching for the day was in the 50-65% range, and on ME days you will hit the triceps with low intensity.

So in templates that Tate or Wendler have written out, your tri movement on DE day will be something like a 3 board press or rack lockouts or something else heavy for 3 sets of 3 reps ramping to a 3rm, and ME day will be something along the lines of db extensions or pushdowns for 4 sets of 12 reps.

This is complicated. The Westside system is constantly changing. Max Efforts, Dynamic Efforts, and Repeated Efforts are always present but the way in which they are implemented make it very hard to come up with a template. I was at Westside this past weekend and they do things a lot different now than anything I have read about. For example, tons of ultra-high rep work after the main workouts (like db benching for one set of 50+ reps to failure… a high school lineman benched 50lb dumbells 97 times), never pulling conventional in training, insane volume on dynamic days, etc. Plus, there are factors like extra workouts and planning for your own personal weaknesses. I know why people like programs like 5/3/1, Sheiko, 5x5, and the 50 billion other ones out there. Those are easy. Sets and reps are completely laid out into a tight nit program/template. You can’t do that with Westside. It’s a system. A sequence of loading. The sequence is different for every single person.

I remember the first time I read one of Louie’s articles. It might as well have been in Japanese. I read it after 2 years of being an exercise science major and I still had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I had to buy every one of those books he recommended, read them all at least twice, then re-read all of the articles about 10 times for them to make any sense. So, do that.

Haha thanks for your replies everybody. Somebody decided to bring this thread back after about 8 months. I’m currently on WS4SB and I love it. So, I’m sticking with that for a while.

Luke

Re. StormTheBeach

That’s interesting. I thought I had it all pretty much figured out, but the more info I read, the more complicated it seems to get. I guess I’ll experiment a little myself.