T Nation

Westside Questions IV

With the 3 day template I’m having problems finding ways to incorporate heavy squats and heavy deads on the same day because my legs are pretty worn out with squats. Would it be recommended to have a second day that I could do one day of dead and one day of squat or can I incorporate one of those lower body lifts into an upper body day? Or is there a better answer?

[quote]celibrate2047 wrote:
With the 3 day template I’m having problems finding ways to incorporate heavy squats and heavy deads on the same day because my legs are pretty worn out with squats. Would it be recommended to have a second day that I could do one day of dead and one day of squat or can I incorporate one of those lower body lifts into an upper body day? Or is there a better answer?[/quote]

Hey, I am relatively new to this method of training, but I am well-read over at the Westside site. Louie says in one of his articles that they rarely do squats on ME day. 7 out of 10 ME Sqauat days, they do some form of good morning. This works the muscles for the deadlift and the squat.

I would not try to max on squats and deads in the same day - it is too hard on the CNS.

Atreides has it exactly right.

I agree with atriedes, you definetly don’t need to do both movements…you could also try using a three day rotating template. That is what I use so I get: mon mesq, wed meb, fri desq, mon deb, wed mesq, etc. I use a rotation of suspended or regular gm, variable box sq to max 3, and rack pulls…I will usually pull heavy deads as an assist lift after speed sq days but when I say heavy I mean for 5 rep max and usually reverse band, just an example…