T Nation

Westside Questions IV

Okay, looks like it’s time for another Westside thread. As always, this is the place to go to for Westside training info on this board. The key word is “simmonstate”.

Yeah, these support threads seem to be a thing of the past, but I started training westside a couple of months ago, and there are only so many things you can get out of the archives.

That said, my question is about CNS and recovery. I thought I was in shape, but the full westside template proved me wrong. Thank God for Power Drive. I am sleeping 9 hours a night when I can, but some days I just feel like a zombie.

Any powerlifters out there with a tip or two? How long until adjust to the training load?

Well, I am gonna use this as an opportunity to ask a question. What is a good substitution for a chain suspended good morning? Can I just set the pins in a power rack to the desired height? Or do the chains serve a certain purpose? I plan on using this lift as a ME movement in a few weeks. I am new on the Westside, so any help would be great.

Stinky

I bought some lifting chains from a place online for around $60 total. A poster on the rugged forum mentioned something about towing straps being sufficient for suspended movements, I think you could find those at a home depot?

As for the cns question I would think that if you are still feeling overtrained by WS then you may want to re-evaluate you training load, sleep patterns, daily stressors. I know when I started working longer hours I switched to a 3 day rotating template and I generally do 2-3 assist movements max with each session.

Take naps if at all possible and eat more.

You may want to cut down on the volume and gradually add more in. Bob Youngs did this when he first trained at Westside and wrote and article about it.

Check it out, http://elitefts.com/documents/in_the_beginning_by_BobY.htm

Skip your ME day every once in awhile.

Go to the 3 day per week template.

I use tow straps and have never had any problem with them. They are rated to hold like 1000 lbs a piece, so safety isn’t an issue.

Exact same experience here. Westside for Skinny Bastards is the answer. This is the template we use with some changes here and there. We DO perform 1rm where it really calls for 3 and 5 rm. That’s the big difference with our program. Also once in a while we will do jump squats with 135 to 225 lbs for 5 sets of 3 instead of a 1rm. The speed bench is a repetition day and that helps the joints and CNS as well.

[quote]snippdawg wrote:
I bought some lifting chains from a place online for around $60 total. A poster on the rugged forum mentioned something about towing straps being sufficient for suspended movements, I think you could find those at a home depot?

Yeah, I already checked into the tow straps and chains, but the dickhead Manager at my gym won’t let me bring them in.Their insurance will not cover those such foreign things. I am stuck at that gym with no hardcore gyms around. Will the power rack thing work?

Thanks, Stink

You could do them off of pins but I have a hard time getting in my groove when doing them that way. If you can somehow get the set-up right, you could give it a try. The problem with not having the setup exactly right is it could easly lead to an injury.

[quote]StinkySnatch wrote:
Well, I am gonna use this as an opportunity to ask a question. What is a good substitution for a chain suspended good morning? Can I just set the pins in a power rack to the desired height? Or do the chains serve a certain purpose? I plan on using this lift as a ME movement in a few weeks. I am new on the Westside, so any help would be great.

Stinky
[/quote]

Don’t forget the point of the chains is to increase the load as you lift. The training effect is to allow acceleration for a greater range of motion, thus time. Remove the chains and acceleration will only occur where you are biomechanically disadvantaged (the bottom). The problem is, not all motor units will be trained with the advantage of acceleration.

[quote]Rololicious wrote:
Don’t forget the point of the chains is to increase the load as you lift. The training effect is to allow acceleration for a greater range of motion, thus time. Remove the chains and acceleration will only occur where you are biomechanically disadvantaged (the bottom). The problem is, not all motor units will be trained with the advantage of acceleration.[/quote]

He’s talking about suspending the weight from chains to begin the lift, not lifting chains.

As far as recovery goes, I don’t seem to have a problem with teh Volume per week, but rather with the duration of a training cycle. Somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks I get cranky and take a week off. I’m playing around wiht exactly how long a cycle should last, and I’m going to experiment with cycling volume as well. I know when I followed the template in Dave’s Big Bad Bench article (it’s somewhere in the archives) I LOVED it. My muscles were screaming on the heavy volume weeks and got a light volume week at just the right time. Any other suggestions I would have would be the same basics everyone else has, more sleep, more food, skip ME once in a while.

Yeah the GMs work fine off pins, that’s how I do 'em. I don’t use them as ME however, but rather as supplemental.

My bad, thanks for the correction.

I just ordered my first bench shirt, a Titan Fury.

Anyone have some performance tips?

Should I cut the back for an open back fit?

How much does a good bench shirt cost? I dont want a super hardcore shirt (as I am not in the wpo), just one for the meets in my area.
Thanks
Will42

P.S As far as recovery goes I have found that all other things being eaqule (8+ hours of sleep, PWO drinks, eating more meals) cold showers after I lift help out a lot.

I just got my new Fury today also. I know Big Martin recommends cutting the back, so I will be once I know for sure it fits.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
How much does a good bench shirt cost? I dont want a super hardcore shirt (as I am not in the wpo), just one for the meets in my area.
Thanks
Will42

P.S As far as recovery goes I have found that all other things being eaqule (8+ hours of sleep, PWO drinks, eating more meals) cold showers after I lift help out a lot.[/quote]

If you are new and not sure if you will like it, I’d get a used one off Ebay. That’s what I did, you can get an Inzer for usually around 20 bucks.

If you already know you like PL, you can get a good learner shirt like the fury for around $85 - $100.

I know Ross said that the Fury is a great 1st or 2nd shirt. He said that you can pull it high to touch light weight or pull it down to crank it up. He also said it will make and easy transition to either Denim or Metal…

If you are new to the bench shirt and train with guys that do not have experience with open-back shirts, then I would not cut it open. Learn the shirt first, and then later on you can always open the back up. Open-backs can be frustrating to seat without experience, because there is no uniformity i.e. how low or high you pull the shirt down. With a closed-back, it is going to fit basically the same every time you use it. Make sense?

[quote]Alexandar wrote:
If you are new to the bench shirt and train with guys that do not have experience with open-back shirts, then I would not cut it open. Learn the shirt first, and then later on you can always open the back up. Open-backs can be frustrating to seat without experience, because there is no uniformity i.e. how low or high you pull the shirt down. With a closed-back, it is going to fit basically the same every time you use it. Make sense?[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks for the tip.