Westside Questions II

Greekdawg. Im all for going on improvement. On March 29th, i will have been competing for one year. Hey steve, no pressure, but if you miss that 600 deadlift this time out, then that one is mine baby. And all you that think you are sexier than me need to recognize. I dont know who yall think yall are.

As usual, thanks guys.

Damn. Information Overload.

But I like it.

And how could I have missed this:

Heh, beer drinking round. I like the sound of that.

chrismcl: right on. I think you hit it. Ko is definitely more adept at speed; and we are working on adding strength so that he’ll get through the sticking points. D’oh. How could I have missed this? And yes, I rely on strength for many of my lifts; and we’re working on the speed and explosiveness. So, again: D’oh. slapping head

Big Martin: actually my grip strength has improved. I’ve been able to pull the 295 sans straps. Would not have been able to say that a few months ago.

My sticking point is at the knees. I get the weight up to that area and…boom. Ain’t movin’. I’m thinking Low Back. More GM. Lot’s of GM. And more hamstring work.

Since Ko was observing (as usual), he can better explain as to what was “goin’ on” during my deads. I can tell you that as I was pulling it felt like everything went into “slow motion”.

And thank you, char. Ya think so?

Patricia, have you tried speed deads, deads with chains on the bar, chains with bands on the bar, and reverse band deadlifts?

OK Im in too. I dont care being bitten in a contest, contests are fun.

question:

ME day, should I try to increase the weight or work with a formula and go for a PR (mini-PR, no pshyching or anything) evry 3 weeks? because I thought you should lift as much as you on ME days but I read some stuff again and well maybe I didnt understand…

Patricia - there is a good technique recomended by CT, mike mahler, tsatsuline and others which is to pause at your sticking point, (eapecialy if it’s not the start ,lol) and “grind it” there while staying tight for a duration of 3-5 seconds.
ther is some info here, do a search on rest-pause.
btw how much do you weigh? I believe you are also no #1 if formulas are used.

Goldie: You’re going to say that I suck once I say the following:

We don’t have chains nor bands. lowering head in shame

BUT, we have recently priced out some chains: so we are getting them and I am purchasing bands this week (along with a bench shirt). Speed work on the “big three” commences this week as well.

Glutesy: wow. Good suggestion. Makes total sense. And I will perform a search for that info.

Glute Spanker - max Effort day is about competing with yourself. Me and my training partner have some preety tuff competitions and they usualy end in a fist fight. You got to strain with heavy weights for at least 3 seconds. Basically kick every fucking weight in the gyms ass, and if you fail you have a goal for next time. In my opinion there is no formula for max effort work it is about straining and seeing stars and if you pass out thats cool too. To be blnt to get the most out of max effort work you got to be willing to die…dont die, but kick ass big martin

I dont know how this gets fucked up but it does. Max effort is just that. its a maximum effort. Ive never read anything about formulas. I know there are some theories on using formulas for down sets. Warm up with 3’s and 5’s until they start to get semi hard. Then start doing singles. When you get to 90% of your max for THAT lift, you do a single and then try to beat your old max. Then maybe try five lbs more if you can. Dont be afraid to miss. If you miss, no big deal as long as you are breaking records on a consistent basis. I go until i miss everyweek. If i killed my old max ill throw on a bunch more weight and try that. DONT BE SCARED. THROW SOME DAMN WEIGHT ON THE BAR. Think about it this way. What would Louie Do?

Patricia has strengthened her lockout, and now is having problems in the mid range. It is definitely a “bar-speed” issue.

I think that doing cleans as well as some lighte weight speed sessions will improve her lift.

hold it…

you are trying 2 PRs every week? wouldnt that be “kaboom, CNS”?
what makes you think you can progress linearly? thats against every eastern blaock periodization rule that I’ve read.

whats up with that?

have I missunderstood again?

glute: BTW, I believe I’m back “down” to 126-127lbs. At my most recent strongman contest, I weighed in at 130lbs. But by the end of the day (due to the nearly 100-degree weather), I dropped a lot of weight.

I would like to compete in the 123lb weight class at my meet. That’s the goal. The Oregon state APF record for the 123lb weight class in the deadlift is 315lbs.

Also, if you read CT’s Super Beast article, he talks about using isometrics with pins to help work through sticking points.

Just set the pins where your sticking point is, grab the bar, and pull. You’ll know you’ve worked through your sticking point when you’re able to lift up the power rack including you on it. When you’re so strong that you can levitate yourself off the ground with a power rack, then sticking points seem like small peas. :slight_smile:

im trying for a hell of a lot more than that if i can. Read the articles on max effort work. you go until you miss or get a pr. go read all of louie simmons’ articles at elite.

glute-what do you normally do on max effort day and what exercises have you been doing?

Glutespanker,

The idea is that because you’re switching exercises that you’re maxing on frequently you won’t burn out. If you maxed on bench or squats every week, you would start to regress. Because you switch exercises though the CNS doesn’t get burnt out.

Hey Have any of you guys tried the IPF approved mtal gear on EFS. Is it USAPL legal thanks big martin

Dammit. I tried posting a question and it got eaten.

1.) Anyways, I had DE Bench day today. I’ve been using the same weight for the past couple weeks. However, today, I started on my first set and I’d find my back lifting up off the bench and I’d be moving from side to side on the bench. I said nuts to this and decided to increase the weight to see how that felt. I put 10 lbs on and tried it again. It was still dynamic by not as dynamic as the lighter weight (obviously). However, it felt more comfortable and my back stayed on the bench for the most part.

Should I go with the heavier weight, even though it doesn’t feel as fast (it might actually be, but it felt slower to me)?

Also, how about recalculating what weight to use for DE days after breaking a PR on the ME day previous to that?

2.) Steve told me that on ME bench day, you shouldn’t be doing traditional bench pressing. I was just curious what some of you guys do for ME movements. The only one I’m really aware of is board presses. If you guys could give me somewhat of a list that would be appreciated.

3.) About board presses themselves. I’m not too familiar with them as I don’t usually have a spotter to help me with them (although I could just put them inside my shirt), and the fact that I don’t have any 2x4’s nailed together that I’d be able to bring to the gym with me. But isn’t the basic jist that you stack the boards on your chest and bench normally and bring the bar to the board, rest it on the board, and back up? My question is, is this ME movement more specifically for triceps development? Simply because you’re only bringing the bar down to about halfway. I know it sounds like an obvious question. I just need some clarification.

Crap, I had another question but I forgot it. Oh well, I’ll post it when I remember it.

I believe Mistuh Goldberg use the Metal gear.

Speaking of gear, should I post the conversation between Steve and I here on this thread; or begin a new thread. I’m thinking the topic of equipment would be a good addition to this thread. Thoughts? Maybe begin a thread specifically on power lifting meet prep?

Timing is right, especially when I’m going to add a question regarding all the brands that are currently available; namely, Karin, Inzer, Metal, and Frantz. Which ones are preferred? Right now, I’m having a hard time putting money down for a Inzer. Inzer has been behaving like a jackass lately.

Chrismcl, buddy. Over at elite there is a list of every possible max effort exercise imaginable. this brings up a good point. Testosterone is an unbelievable source of information. But as far as the Westside methods go, you need to get your ass over to elite. And even if you dont, you need to read all of the articles at TMAG on westside. Here is a short list. Floor press, close grip bench press, pin press, floor pin press, 1,2,3,4,or 5 board presses, reverse band presses, presses with chains, presses with minibands, illegal wide bench for 5-6 reps.
BigMartin-I used the IPF Vsquatter in my last meet. I love it. I did a 545 plus green bands box squat and a very easy 638 in it.

I would go with a metal suit for squat/deadlift suits and briefs. Inzer DD for bench shirt from what i hear. I cant wait to get one.