Westside Question

I want to start doing westside after I finish ABBHII, I really love Chad’s programs, I think they are fantastic. But I want to focus now more on strength than hypertrophy, because I’m thinking that if I can lift heavier weights, I can maximize the effects of hypertrophy. Anywho… I have a few questions though. I’ve never really done a strength training method before, so I don’t know how I would achieve some of the things Defranco talks about in his article.

For example, for max effort bench, it says to “Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps”. Now, how exactly do I go about doing this. I’m relatively weak since I am a beginner, so I max out around 180. So, in my case, how would I work up to a max set of 3-5 reps?

As for the supplemental lifts, do I just work a weight that I can safely do for the given amount of reps?

On repitition lift day, it says to “Work up to 3 sets of max reps”. Does that mean train to failure? I hope not.

Lastly, I dont understand what this means: “I recommend rotating your max-effort exercise every two to three weeks to prevent your nervous system from getting burned out. Whether you shoot for a 3-rep max or a 5-rep max, the goal is to break your previous record every week!”

If he wants me to cycle the max effort excercise every two to three weeks, then what do I do on week 2’s max effort bench day?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but hey, I can’t help it. I have to find out somehow.

Thanks guys, don’t go easy on me,
pork

I am somewhat confused on this as well, I have seen DeFranco reccomend around 6 sets for ME movements yet all WestSiders seem to reccomend more like 8-9. He also seems to only have one set w/ > 90% intensity.

Anyone know a reason for this?

I have been moving more towards the normal WS approach to be on the safe side and am keeping my volume @ about 8 sets.

you guys are thinking way to much…you have go by fell…were all diffirent…some need more sets to get MENATALLY prepared for maximal weights…why others need far less…personally for me it takes me a lot of sets with my bench press to get prepared and far less for lowerbody moves…here are my max effort moves from this week removed straight from my training journal…

monday max eff sq
camberd squat bar chain suspended good mornings
bar x10
135x10
225x5
315x3
405x3
495x3
545x3
585x3

wensday max eff bench press
4 board press
bar xmillion
135x10
185x5
225x5
315x5
365x3
405x3
435x3
495x3

there you go …THATS HOW I DO IT…find a way to work up to your max set that allows you to get MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY PREPARED…the trick is to know when and hwo to get your cns to fire into the mode to handle maximal loads…good luck… bm

Lastly, I dont understand what this means: “I recommend rotating your max-effort exercise every two to three weeks to prevent your nervous system from getting burned out. Whether you shoot for a 3-rep max or a 5-rep max, the goal is to break your previous record every week!”

If he wants me to cycle the max effort excercise every two to three weeks, then what do I do on week 2’s max effort bench day

Just saw this also…if i was you i would switch max eff moves each week…pick 4 or so movements for both the bench and sq-dl and rotate them each week…so for example the 4 moves i use for the bench are 1. 2-board in shirt 2. 4 board 3. foam press in shirt 4. rev band bench press…for the sq dl i use 1. camberd sq bar gms 2.rev band dl.3…close stance free squats with safety squat bar 4. dead lifts vs mini bands off 4 inch box.
i rotate these over a month period…select 4 you would like to use and do the same each week…bm

alright, so lets say my max is 180 for bench.

I’d do something like this for ME bench day?

Bar x 10
135 x 10
155 x 5
160 x 3
165 x 3
170 x 3
175 x 3

and for supplemental excercise ill just lift light at the given reps.

And, for ME Squat, since my max is like 200, id do like?

Bar x 10
135 x 10
165 x 5
170 x 3
180 x 3
190 x 3
200 x 3

I’d go to 95 before 135 on both the bench and squat. Use these extra sets to get your technique dialed in. Shoulders back and down, lowering the weight with the lats, triceps firing first out of the bottom.

PorkChop,

BM is right. Don’t think so hard. Just go to elitefts.com and look at the training logs. Also, Jim Wendler has an article on that site about how many warm up sets, etc. Basically, if you are maxing at lighter weights, you just need to make smaller jumps in weight increments each set. If you max bigger weights, you make bigger jumps. It’s not rocket science (although by the way some act you think it would be!). Find what works for you and go with it. Best of luck…

your sets look good…all i can say is give it a try if you feel like you need more sets add more sets if you fell you need less sets do less…remember that max eff work is a test its the supplemental work that makes you really strong…bm

Read the four part article by Dave Tate called the Eight Keys…I think it was publish here last summer.

[quote]porkchopexpress wrote:

On repitition lift day, it says to “Work up to 3 sets of max reps”. Does that mean train to failure? I hope not.

[/quote]

What repetition day?

In Defranco’s hybrid, he replaces Dynamic bench day with a repitition day. On this day instead of doing speed bench, you pick an exercise and take each set to concentric failure, then rest for 60 seconds, then do the other 2 sets. You should record the weight and total amount of reps and then try to improve upon that the next week.