T Nation

Westside Protocols: Weight for ME

Just started getting in to Westside training.  My question is for the ME upper body days.  How much weight about my max should I start out with on 3 board press, floor press, weight releasers bench etc.  I want to get this right.  Thanks yall.

Work up to it. Others may do it differently, but my opinion is that a training day is different from a meet. You are not trying to hit a “true” max (Dan John might call it a max-max) like you are in a meet. You are just working up to the heaviest weight you can in training.

So just work up in sets of 1 or 3 or whatever you are trying to work up to for that exercise and keep bumping the weight up until you can’t get any more for that day. Over time you will learn if you need to work up more slowly or more quickly.

Bigger jumps at first.

Then smaller jumps when you get closer to your max weight.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Bigger jumps at first.

Then smaller jumps when you get closer to your max weight.[/quote]

imo no you’d stay consistent with your jumps the only thing changing the size being how high a load your going be consistent.

for instance someone going for a 600lb bench would take larger jumps then say a 225lb bencher but they’d each in training have near the same amount of sets

like bar, 135, 225, 315, 405, 495 go for the PR 600

or bar, 95, 135, 155, 185, 205, 225.

obviously the first two jumps are bigger but if you needed lifter dependent to get warm by all mans add the 65lb and 115lb then get bused to the jumps

Phill

I think I might try it more your way, Phil.

I think sometimes I end up gassed when I’m getting close to PRs.

Generally I like to get comfortable under heavier and heavier stuff, though.

Thanks guys, keep all the advice coming. I love the good word!

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
I think I might try it more your way, Phil.

I think sometimes I end up gassed when I’m getting close to PRs.

Generally I like to get comfortable under heavier and heavier stuff, though. [/quote]

give it a go, if needed do the warming up VERY light. dont waste the energy on the heavy sets to get warm those are to just get you comfortable

Phill