T Nation

Westside or MM: Best for Raw?

I bench and compete raw, and for the majority of my training have used the Westside ‘straight line’ technique for my bench press. However, some of my training partners have suggested I switch to the Metal Militia ‘throw back’ technique. I always thought this was better for shirted benchers, since I don’t have a shirt to protect my shoulders. What are your guys thoughts? What style do you think would be better for a raw bench presser?

I can’t really say what is better for everybody but I personally prefer to push backwards for both shirted and raw. its just much easier leverage wise imo, especially when you factor in a high arch and strong leg drive that is pushing you back toward the rack anyway. However my training partner has short stubby arms and at about half the range of motion as I do and prefers to just go straight up and down with a flat back

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
I bench and compete raw, and for the majority of my training have used the Westside ‘straight line’ technique for my bench press. However, some of my training partners have suggested I switch to the Metal Militia ‘throw back’ technique. I always thought this was better for shirted benchers, since I don’t have a shirt to protect my shoulders. What are your guys thoughts? What style do you think would be better for a raw bench presser?[/quote]

If you want a big raw bench press, you must do raw bench press movements. I like to use a hybrid WestSide method. Here is an example of one of my routines:

Example 5-week routine
1-week
Bench Press, 4 sets x 3
Incline Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Chest Support Row, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Seated-Overhead Tricep Extension, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

2nd- week
Pause Floor Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Decline Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Pull-ups, 4 sets x 5
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

3rd week
Pause 3-Board Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Dumbbell Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Close Grip Cable Lat-Pulldown, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Tate�??s Press, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

4th week
Reverse Band Bench Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Weighted Plat Push-ups, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
T-Bar Rows, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Standing Cable Tricep Pull Downs, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

5th week
Bench Press, 4 sets x 3

[b]TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL [/b]

[quote]NASAKYCHAIRMAN wrote:
ultimatethor wrote:
I bench and compete raw, and for the majority of my training have used the Westside ‘straight line’ technique for my bench press. However, some of my training partners have suggested I switch to the Metal Militia ‘throw back’ technique. I always thought this was better for shirted benchers, since I don’t have a shirt to protect my shoulders. What are your guys thoughts? What style do you think would be better for a raw bench presser?

If you want a big raw bench press, you must do raw bench press movements. I like to use a hybrid WestSide method. Here is an example of one of my routines:

Example 5-week routine
1-week
Bench Press, 4 sets x 3

2nd- week
Pause Floor Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Decline Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Pull-ups, 4 sets x 5
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

3rd week
Pause 3-Board Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Dumbbell Bench Press, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Close Grip Cable Lat-Pulldown, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Tate�??s Press, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

4th week
Reverse Band Bench Press, 6-10 sets, pyramid the reps
Weighted Plat Push-ups, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
T-Bar Rows, 4 sets, pyramid the reps
Standing Cable Tricep Pull Downs, 5 sets, pyramid the reps

5th week
Bench Press, 4 sets x 3

[b]TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL [/b]

[/quote]

Off topic, but J.T., thank you for posting here, it is good to have experienced lifters giving advice on this board.

Personally I think arcing the bar back up of your clavicles or somewhere close to that is better than the straight line. That seems to be helpful in driving past the sticking point.

I’ve always felt I can create a bit more speed and power if I drive back and up. Both raw and shirted, so that’s the way I bench!