Westside Only for Advanced???

I think for the beginner-intermediate lifter the exercise variations should be limited to close variations of the squat, bench, and deadlift. The time should be spent honing technique, and getting comfortable with the lifts.

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:
If you’re not going to wear multi-ply equipment there are about 1 million better options than training westside.[/quote]

Really? Amy Weisberger set a raw all-time WR. Becky Rich trains at my gym. She has a raw all-time WR too. It seems to work just fine for raw lifters. I think it just has a stigma to most raw lifters, so they won’t try it.
[/quote]

Plenty of raw lifters do it. The MAJORITY of the best raw lifters at the top don’t. There is a reason for that.[/quote]

Just a questions, which top raw lifters that don’t do Westside are you talking about? and how do they train?

[quote]crashcrew56 wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:
If you’re not going to wear multi-ply equipment there are about 1 million better options than training westside.[/quote]

Really? Amy Weisberger set a raw all-time WR. Becky Rich trains at my gym. She has a raw all-time WR too. It seems to work just fine for raw lifters. I think it just has a stigma to most raw lifters, so they won’t try it.
[/quote]

Plenty of raw lifters do it. The MAJORITY of the best raw lifters at the top don’t. There is a reason for that.[/quote]

Just a questions, which top raw lifters that don’t do Westside are you talking about? and how do they train?[/quote]

Brandon Cass, Eric Lilliebridge, Tyson Meyers, Konstantin, Sam Byrd (when he does raw), Holger Kuttroff, Mike Tuchscherer, Beau Moore on and on and on and on and on.

and of course possibly the strongest guy walking the planet zydrunas savickas, doesn’t.

WSB is overrated for a raw powerlifter. Scott Yard trained WSB before he went raw. How does he train now? Linear progression. So do most of the guys on the list above. there is a reason for that.

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

Just a questions, which top raw lifters that don’t do Westside are you talking about? and how do they train?[/quote]

Brandon Cass, Eric Lilliebridge, Tyson Meyers, Konstantin, Sam Byrd (when he does raw), Holger Kuttroff, Mike Tuchscherer, Beau Moore on and on and on and on and on.

and of course possibly the strongest guy walking the planet zydrunas savickas, doesn’t.

WSB is overrated for a raw powerlifter. Scott Yard trained WSB before he went raw. How does he train now? Linear progression. So do most of the guys on the list above. there is a reason for that. [/quote]

Actually, KK appears to use a form of conjugate periodization.

Tuscherer doesn’t use linear progression. Byrd doesn’t use linear progression.

Conjugate periodization? Is this the same as the conjugate method or conjugate method/linear progression hybrid?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

WSB is overrated for a raw powerlifter. Scott Yard trained WSB before he went raw. How does he train now? Linear progression. So do most of the guys on the list above. there is a reason for that. [/quote]

Tuscherer doesn’t use linear progression. Byrd doesn’t use linear progression.[/quote]

I believe I wrote “most”. Not all. Reading is fundamental.

Just because a guy uses different exercises doesn’t make it a “conjugate method” for the love of God. KK squats every workout, benches every workout, and pulls two different deadlifts in one session. That’s about as far from westside as you can get. KK also does some pretty simple shit. One day is squat and bench. Sound anything like westside to you?

Bird uses what he himself calls “something similar to max-ot” and works up over 8 weeks to what knows he’ll hit on his openers. His words.

I think you’re missing the entire point. None of these guys use anything close to westside and they are the strongest raw guys there are. That’s not by coincidence. A lot of guys behind the scenes that don’t say it up front think WSB is a fairly shitty way to train, especially when we’re talking raw. The UK guys I know and talk to, that are strong as fucking shit, none of them use westside and generally make fun of Americans for having totals that look like 1000 squat, 800 bench, 650 deadlift. They pull heavy from the floor every week.

If you want to defend WSB all night, knock yourself out. The majority of the strongest guys at the top that are raw don’t use it.

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

Tuscherer doesn’t use linear progression. Byrd doesn’t use linear progression.[/quote]

Just because a guy uses different exercises doesn’t make it a “conjugate method” for the love of God. KK squats every workout, benches every workout, and pulls two different deadlifts in one session. That’s about as far from westside as you can get. KK also does some pretty simple shit. One day is squat and bench. Sound anything like westside to you? KK does nothing more than apply the very old heavy/medium/light method to his training.

Byrd uses what he himself calls “something similar to max-ot” and works up over 8 weeks to what knows he’ll hit on his openers. His words.

I think you’re missing the entire point. None of these guys use anything close to westside and they are the strongest raw guys there are. That’s not by coincidence. A lot of guys behind the scenes that don’t say it up front think WSB is a fairly shitty way to train, especially when we’re talking raw. The UK guys I know and talk to, that are strong as fucking shit, none of them use westside and generally make fun of Americans for having totals that look like 1000 squat, 800 bench, 650 deadlift. They pull heavy from the floor every week.

If you want to defend WSB all night, knock yourself out. The majority of the strongest guys at the top that are raw don’t use it.

[/quote]

Westside is conjugate periodization, conjugate periodization is not necessarily westside. You can squat, bench, and deadlift in every workout using conjugate periodization.

You made the claim that X lifters used LINEAR PROGRESSION, which was certifiably FALSE.

Chances are, YOU don’t know what “training Westside” really is and neither do “the guys you talk to in the UK” since they don’t actually train in Grove City, Ohio. Hell, you can’t even recognize the difference between linear periodization, conjugate periodization, and volume progressions like Sheiko.

KK doesn’t use linear periodization.
Sam Byrd doesn’t use linear periodization.
Tuscherer doesn’t use linear periodization.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

Just because a guy uses different exercises doesn’t make it a “conjugate method” for the love of God. KK squats every workout, benches every workout, and pulls two different deadlifts in one session. That’s about as far from westside as you can get. KK also does some pretty simple shit. One day is squat and bench. Sound anything like westside to you? KK does nothing more than apply the very old heavy/medium/light method to his training.

Byrd uses what he himself calls “something similar to max-ot” and works up over 8 weeks to what knows he’ll hit on his openers. His words.

[/quote]

Westside is conjugate periodization, conjugate periodization is not necessarily westside. You can squat, bench, and deadlift in every workout using conjugate periodization.[/quote]

But it’s not westside. Which is what this thread was about.

I said most of the guys use a form of it. And they do. Like I said, reading is fundamental.

Man you can defend WSB like it’s your mom all night, doesn’t bother me any. That’s the thing about WSB groupies, the westside method becomes a moving target when you talk about it like this. Or if you don’t train in Ohio AT Westside you don’t know what it is. It’s fucking hilarious.

Like I said, the strongest raw guys at the top don’t train westside. I don’t care if you want to pin it down to linear periodization to sheiko to 5/3/1 to fucking Mentzers HIT. I said the strongest guys I know of, the majority, a the top don’t use westside. Discussion over.

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

Just because a guy uses different exercises doesn’t make it a “conjugate method” for the love of God. KK squats every workout, benches every workout, and pulls two different deadlifts in one session. That’s about as far from westside as you can get. KK also does some pretty simple shit. One day is squat and bench. Sound anything like westside to you?

Bird uses what he himself calls “something similar to max-ot” and works up over 8 weeks to what knows he’ll hit on his openers. His words.

[/quote]

I don’t think you have a full grasp on what Westside Conjugate training is, here’s an example of what it could look like for squats

Week 1: Free Squat
Week 2: Squat w/green band
Week 3: Squat w/blue band
Week 4: Squat w/chains
week 5: SSB Squats
Week 6: Squat w/ Buffalo bar
Week 7: Squat w/ buffalo bar and chains
week 8: Box Squat w/buffalo bar and chains

The variations can be that simple

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Westside is conjugate periodization, conjugate periodization is not necessarily westside. You can squat, bench, and deadlift in every workout using conjugate periodization.[/quote]

I said most of the guys use a form of it. And they do. Like I said, reading is fundamental.

Man you can defend WSB like it’s your mom all night, doesn’t bother me any. That’s the thing about WSB groupies, the westside method becomes a moving target when you talk about it like this. Or if you don’t train in Ohio AT Westside you don’t know what it is. It’s fucking hilarious.

Like I said, the strongest raw guys at the top don’t train westside. I don’t care if you want to pin it down to linear periodization to sheiko to 5/3/1 to fucking Mentzers HIT. I said the strongest guys I know of, the majority, a the top don’t use westside. Discussion over.[/quote]

Would you mind posting your stats? You’re an idiot, that’s why I ask.

The “Westside Method” is a moving target because it’s constantly changing. I’m not defending it. I’m calling bullshit on your assertion that KK, Byrd, Tuscherer, etc. etc. all use LINEAR PROGRESSION. Sheiko is not a form of LINEAR PROGRESSION, nor is the conjugate-style training that KK does, and neither is what Byrd does.

RealPC, I’m not bashing you, but in those posts where you talk about who trained in westside etc
 you say,

“There’s a reason for that.”

Now excuse my terrible reading comprehension, but I don’t believe you’ve ever mentioned what that reason is.

So for one thing: what is that reason you keep talking about? Also, would you mind giving us a specific example of what you consider to be superior for raw lifters aside from “Linear progression”?

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:
RealPC, I’m not bashing you, but in those posts where you talk about who trained in westside etc
 you say,

“There’s a reason for that.”

Now excuse my terrible reading comprehension, but I don’t believe you’ve ever mentioned what that reason is.

So for one thing: what is that reason you keep talking about? Also, would you mind giving us a specific example of what you consider to be superior for raw lifters aside from “Linear progression”?

[/quote]

5/3/1, Sheiko, Classic linear periodzation are all superior for raw lifters than WSB. But mainly, just basing your actual routine around the competition lifts is what is superior. When you look at the way the top raw guys train they do the actual competition lifts. Or just go look back at all of the raw records that are still standing from the 70’s and 80’s that no one has broken. Records by guys like Kuc and John Cole and Reinhoudt and Ed Coan. How did they train? They used the competition lifts and did linear periodization. If you want to get strong in the squat, bench, and dead then do the actual lifts and minimize your assistance work.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I’m calling bullshit on your assertion that KK, Byrd, Tuscherer, etc. etc. all use LINEAR PROGRESSION.[/quote]

This claim was never made.

He said Scott Yard used linear progression and that MOST of the people on that list used it. “Most” might have been overstating it a little, but the point is that they don’t use Westside.

Anyhow, this was my point in my first post in this thread: what exactly is Westside now?

[quote]RealPC wrote:

Brandon Cass, Eric Lilliebridge, Tyson Meyers, Konstantin, Sam Byrd (when he does raw), Holger Kuttroff, Mike Tuchscherer, Beau Moore on and on and on and on and on

How does he train now? Linear progression. So do most of the guys on the list above. there is a reason for that. [/quote]

Where does it say that all of those guys use linear progression?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Like I said, the strongest raw guys at the top don’t train westside. I don’t care if you want to pin it down to linear periodization to sheiko to 5/3/1 to fucking Mentzers HIT. I said the strongest guys I know of, the majority, a the top don’t use westside. Discussion over.[/quote]

Would you mind posting your stats? You’re an idiot, that’s why I ask.[/quote]

I should go between 1700 and 1800 raw in August at 242 if it matters. What are your stats brainiac?

[quote]
The “Westside Method” is a moving target because it’s constantly changing. I’m not defending it. I’m calling bullshit on your assertion that KK, Byrd, Tuscherer, etc. etc. all use LINEAR PROGRESSION. Sheiko is not a form of LINEAR PROGRESSION, nor is the conjugate-style training that KK does, and neither is what Byrd does.[/quote]

I don’t really care. I think you’ve missed that even though I’ve stressed it over and over again. My point from the very beginning is that if you are a raw lifter, you’re better off finding something like linear progression. If you want to hang your nuts on the fact that I said most go ahead. You’re just debating semantics.

My main point from the beginning has been that the top raw guys don’t use westside barbell. They don’t. Now have a glass of shut the fuck up juice and do just that. Thanks.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Where does it say that all of those guys use linear progression?[/quote]

It doesn’t. But I will spell out a few things that this dipshit clearly doesn’t understand.

Linear periodization has many variations.

If I do singles every week, and never plan out a cycle and just add 15-20 pounds each week until I hit a max, that is linear periodization. If I start out a cycle and do a set of 12, then 10 the next week heavier, then 8, then a few weeks of 5’s adding weight, then 3’s
that’s a form of linear periodzation.

It can run for 3 weeks or 16 weeks or even longer.

At it’s core periodzation is nothing more than simple planned progression. It can be in either load (%), total tonnage used (in a heavy/light/medium system), or a variety of ways. It can wave like Wendler’s 5/3/1 or be linear. If I had left off the “linear” part dipshit might not have had such a fit. The point being, using simple progression and making a program based around the actual lifts is a far better route for raw guys than westside.

Wendler is stronger now than when he trained at WSB, and weighs 40 pounds less. If WSB were the bees knees, that shit doesn’t happen. Scott Yard has experienced the same “phenomenon”.

So to get back to the point I made in my first post, if you want to be as strong as possible out of equipment, don’t do westside. Do something else. I don’t give a fuck what you call it.

Hey buddy, you are not being “real pc” about this

rimshot

[quote]RealPC wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Where does it say that all of those guys use linear progression?[/quote]

It doesn’t. But I will spell out a few things that this dipshit clearly doesn’t understand.

Linear periodization has many variations.

If I do singles every week, and never plan out a cycle and just add 15-20 pounds each week until I hit a max, that is linear periodization. If I start out a cycle and do a set of 12, then 10 the next week heavier, then 8, then a few weeks of 5’s adding weight, then 3’s
that’s a form of linear periodzation.

It can run for 3 weeks or 16 weeks or even longer.

At it’s core periodzation is nothing more than simple planned progression. It can be in either load (%), total tonnage used (in a heavy/light/medium system), or a variety of ways. It can wave like Wendler’s 5/3/1 or be linear. If I had left off the “linear” part dipshit might not have had such a fit. The point being, using simple progression and making a program based around the actual lifts is a far better route for raw guys than westside.

Wendler is stronger now than when he trained at WSB, and weighs 40 pounds less. If WSB were the bees knees, that shit doesn’t happen. Scott Yard has experienced the same “phenomenon”.

So to get back to the point I made in my first post, if you want to be as strong as possible out of equipment, don’t do westside. Do something else. I don’t give a fuck what you call it.
[/quote]

Wait, so I’m the dipshit, but you’re the one who can’t even DEFINE what it is you’re talking about. Waved progressions, volume/intensity waves, NONE of that is LINEAR PROGRESSION.

5/3/1 is volume/intensity cycling, not linear progression. Linear progression is simply adding x amount of weight to the bar every time you train consistently for long amounts of time.

[quote]RealPC wrote:

I don’t really care. I think you’ve missed that even though I’ve stressed it over and over again. My point from the very beginning is that if you are a raw lifter, you’re better off finding something like linear progression. If you want to hang your nuts on the fact that I said most go ahead. You’re just debating semantics.

My main point from the beginning has been that the top raw guys don’t use westside barbell. They don’t. Now have a glass of shut the fuck up juice and do just that. Thanks.[/quote]

“Just arguing semantics”? I’m arguing with you about what you SAID, so yes, I guess that would count as “arguing semantics”. It’s not my fault that you’re too retarded to understand the difference between linear periodization and any sort of short-cycle based programming.

Would you mind explaining to me how KK’s training is at all LINEAR PROGRESSION, since he rotates lifts and intensities on a weekly basis.

Why don’t you take the shut the fuck up juice, and finish off the carton.

1. The claim “5/3/1 is linear progression” was never made.

2. The claim “Konstantin uses linear progression” was never made.

3. The point is “Westside = not so great for raw lifters.” You’re still missing it.