Westside... I Think...

From what I have read on the other threads if I want to hit a 220 bench my best bet would be to do westside powerlifting. Using their template, does this look right, minus the Squat days. I am specifically NOT doing squats for a reason.

The overhead squats are for stability when I practice skills. My goal is to hit a 220 bench, maybe a 280 deadlift and to keep healthy shoulders for my breakdancing. I just recently came off a 10lb gain from 4 weeks of 10x10 (in case you are wondering what I was previously doing). Yes, I do breakdance one to three times a week.

Day 1 - Dynamic Method
A
8x3 Dynamic close grip bench
1x3 +10% Heavy
B
6x10 DB - reverse-palm triceps extention
J.m Press
Tate Press
or Board Press
C
6x5 chinups
6x5 inc front raise

Day 3/2 - Conjugate/Dynam

A
YxZ - Dead
Mornings
Rack pull
or Step pull
B
6x10 Ham Ext or something else (suggestions?)
C
6x5 OH squats
6x5 Yates Rows 70deg
60 sec Front lever

Day 4 - Conjugate Method

A
6(1x3) + 1x1 + 1x3
- Floor Press
Rack Lockouts
Close grip inc press
or Snatchgrip press
B
6x10 DB - rev-palm triceps
J.m Press
Tate Press
or Board Press
C
6x5 Shrugs
6x5 Pull to face

The cycle will look like this (over two weeks)

1. Dyn Bench
  2. Dyn Dead
  3. Max Bench
  4. Max Dead
  5. Dyn Bench
  6. Dyn Dead
  7. Max Bench

Sound good? or sound like blasphemy?

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2204839

As mentioned in this thread, westside is confusing and I am not in a position to buy and read ‘a few manuals from elitefts’

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Go here: http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

Download Westside for Skinny Bastards 3. It’s free, and should provide you with everything you need to bench 220.

I’m not doubting the effectiveness of WS4SB3, but it is irrelevant to my goals. I do not need jump training, I am lacking in speed/power, not size, and I am, once again, not doing squats.
A body built for break dancing is not correlated to football, rugby, or basketball.

SO WHAT. don’t squat or do the jump training then.

Sure ok, WS4SB lovers, I will unconditionally do WS4SB just because you do it yourselves. IF you look closely with the new configuration, it really isnt that much different except its a FUCKLOAD more reps per set, and includes all these useless curls and advice for shit like sprints and ab work. Sounds great for my goals. Just great.

Day 1 - Rep day
A

B
4x15 DB - rev-palm Tricep
J.m Press
Tate Press
Board Press
C
4x12 chinups
D
4x15 inc front raise

Day 3 - Conjugate/Dynam

A
YxZ - Dead
8x3or Mornings
6(1x3) Rack pull
Step pull
B
3x15 lunges
C
3x12 Hyper extentions
D
3x5 OH squats
Abs circuit

Day 4 - Conjugate Method

A
6(1x3) + 1x1 + 1x3
- Floor Press
Rack Lockouts
Close grip inc press
Snatchgrip press
B
2x15 DB - rev-palm Tricep
J.m Press
Tate Press
Board Press
C
4x15 Shrugs
D
4x15 Pull to face
E
4x15 Curls

I don’t meant to be a hater, but your advice so far is not well thought through. And if you read my OP, you will realize I was asking if the format of what I was planning on doing was in fact proper and according to WS power-lifting template, not asking whether I should be doing high reps over lower reps despite having just come off a high rep program, when I am looking for power, not endurance or hypertrophy.

Any other advice out there? At least well thought through? Thanks.

I did 10x10 on 145 btw, so I am really just looking to break through my hypertrophy induced cns suckage.

Why are you refusing to do squats, yet have no problem with other power movements?

Because it is the nature of breakdancing that you need to be upper body dominant, and whenever I did squats I would gain so much leg, glute and calf mass that I would struggle doing moves I could normally do such as planche, air chair, flagging. Doing deadlifts doesn’t really effect these, and thus I decided that there is nothing but gain by doing them, even if I get mass in my hamstrings.
Many people say ‘just get a stronger upper body and do squats anyway’, but it is a lot harder than they think to simply ‘get stronger’.
My posterior chain is still under stress when I do farmers walks, deadlifts, etc, so I thought I wasn’t missing out on anything other than leg mass that would win a bodybuilding competition, or bowl opponents over in sport.

Bear in mind with the speed work that you should let effort and bar speed dictate the weight, not the percentages, particularily at your level. If you can do it fast with crap form, it isn’t heavy enough. I would also consider upping the volume of rowing (and maybe chinups) you do.

I’m unsure as to how that will affect your breakdancing or if it will even be necessary to do extra work to build up your lats if you are doing it. In any case, you don’t seem to have a large volume or variety of horizontal rowing and I think that that might hold you back from progressing as you should.

The basic template looks good to me, thats just my 2 cents on where you could go wrong. So long as you don’t go ridiculously light on DE day and do plenty of rowing it should be good.

For a guy not even benching 220lb you’ve a SERIOUS attitude problem.

I suppose it stems from your superior genetics which packs sooo much mass onto your lower body so fast when you squat.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

I suppose it stems from your superior genetics which packs sooo much mass onto your lower body so fast when you squat.[/quote]

I wish my legs grew like that.

Why are you lifting?

It seems like you just want someone to tell you your plan is good, when people have given some good and honest advice, keep the reps low and the weight heavy and your legs aren’t going to get a whole lot bigger with squatting.

do what other breakdancers do to get to a 225 bench

dont forget plenty of neck work…you need a strong foundation for those head spins

curious why you would want to do strongman training if you’re a break dancer? the execution speed of farmer’s walks, tire flips, etc. is very slow when compared to break dancing (and most sports). seems like it would be counter-intuitive to your goals.

btw, i respect the fact that you’re thinking through things here instead of just blindly doing generic programs. for your lower body work, you could probably benefit from various jumps, bounds, etc. i think a high volume of ab work (lots of rotational movements) would benefit your sport.

also, since you’re developing a base of upper body strength you might want to begin programming things like plyo push ups. i would lose the DE bench. for athletes it is useless as up to 50% of the effort is spent DECELERATING the bar. use med ball chest pass variations to make sure you’re accelerating completely through the movement. good luck

[quote]Hanley wrote:

I suppose it stems from your superior genetics which packs sooo much mass onto your lower body so fast when you squat.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Why are you worrying about training “westside” and doing speed work if you can’t even bench two plates?

I know you want power, but power is a function of both force and speed, at your stage increases in force (strength) are going to pay you the biggest dividends.

[quote]For a guy not even benching 220lb you’ve a SERIOUS attitude problem.
[/quote]

Sorry I didnt mean to be narky, I am just looking for people to present to me more ideas than just ws4sb lol.

Thanks, I am practicing flips, etc, so I thought the best way to get better at flips is to actually practice flips. If you still think I would benefit from doing extra jump work, yeah I might start doing them. Otherwise I am trying to keep volume low for legs.

As for The DE, I am a pretty slow bencher, so I thought I would be best doing DE.
“Bear in mind with the speed work that you should let effort and bar speed dictate the weight, not the percentages, particularily at your level. If you can do it fast with crap form, it isn’t heavy enough. I would also consider upping the volume of rowing (and maybe chinups) you do.”

So I will probably take your advice smoko.

Yes, yes it does. Sarcastic flamer. -.-

Conorh,

what would you suggest? I dont think it should take me long to get a 220, but yeah, what would you suggest?

you can do a planche and can’t bench 220 pounds at 5’9? Sounds like you need to work on overall conditioning and strength with basic movements and not jump into something like westside.

You could probably combine those bodyweight skills with some basic weight training and develop a high degree of strength. Go do some pseudo planche pushups or something and just hit the gym and bench and OH press and quit bitching about how you hate squats, do what you gotta do. What was the point of your post anyway?