T Nation

Westside for Skinny Bastards

Hi,

Jus a bit unsure abt the Westside for Skinny Bastards program… on the first day it says work up to a max set of 3-5 reps… does that mean keep doing sets until you max out at 3 reps…?

Oh and on the repetition day it says for the ‘Repetition Lift work up to 3 sets of max reps rest 60 secs between sets’… not sure what is max reps… isn’t it jus the same as the first day??

Thanks guys jus a bit new to this!

sg

When doing a max effort lift, begin with 1 or two warm up sets. increase the weight, do a set with 3-5 reps, add weight, do a set with 3-5 reps, continue this way untill you hit a weight that you can’t lift more than 3-5 times try and beat that weight next time.

when doing a max reps lift. your first set of say dips would be as many as you can do. repeat 2 more times. Try and beat your number the following weeks.

hope that helped.

JB

Here’s a reponse written by Joe DeFranco to someone that asked a similar question about the ME exercises in the WSSB program. It was taken from his email newletter of May 2004.

"In my ?skinny bastard? program I recommend that you perform at least five total sets for your max effort exercise. Weaker guys seem to only perform 1 or 2 warm-up sets before their max attempt. For some reason, most of them feel as if it?s a badge of honor to warm-up with 135 or 185 pounds. Remember that it?s not the weight that you start with, it?s the weight that you finish with! Skinny guys also need the extra volume to help pack on some muscle mass ? 1-3 sets of low reps just won?t cut it.

Anyway, here?s a sample warm-up for your floor press on Monday.

Bar X 10 reps
95 lbs. X 5 reps
135 lbs. X 5 reps
165 lbs. X 5 reps
185 lbs. X 3 reps
205 lbs. X 3 reps
REST 2 MINUTES
225 lbs. X 5 reps!

Good luck on Monday!
Joe D."

Thanks guys i got the first part… jus with the repetition lift… 1) what kind of rep range do i choose? 2) do i increase the weight from set to set?

i mean cos i could choose to max out at 5,10 or 20 reps depending on the weight obviously…?

Thanks!

sg

Sorry to steal the thread but could someone post a link to the Westside for skinny bastards program? Thanks.

[quote]hindustanipride wrote:
Thanks guys i got the first part… jus with the repetition lift… 1) what kind of rep range do i choose? 2) do i increase the weight from set to set?

i mean cos i could choose to max out at 5,10 or 20 reps depending on the weight obviously…?

Thanks!

sg[/quote]

Here’s another quote from DeFranco regarding his WSSB program that was in one of his newsletters. This should answer your question about the repetition lift.

“On your repetition upper body lift you will choose a weight that you can perform approximately 20-35 reps with on your first set. Stick with the same weight for all 3 sets. Record the total number of reps that you performed for all 3 sets. The goal is to perform more reps with the same weight the following week.”

RipStone,

Go to the archives, 2004, and scroll down about halfway. You’ll run right into it.

Thanks for the info man.

Built Big,

Thanks for your help… I understand everything now!

Thanks again!

sg

You’re welcome guys. Glad I could help.