T Nation

Westside For Skinny Bastards

I was going to do Westside for Skinny Bastards in Febuary (after basketball season) and I was wondering how you would cycle into speed training. Would you do 2 weeks of repition days then 2 weeks of switching the repition days for speed day or have more of an Pendulm (spelling?) and peak in the middle with speed or should you just stick with the same outline. I don’t have sleds, bands, or chains so I was going to do more olympic style workouts on the speed days.

My stats are 6’2" 195 pounds, I’m 15 and I have a 150 pound bench press and 280 squat which is week so thats why I think I should stick with the orginal outline.

Moose,
Joe DeFranco’s article, “Westside for the skinny Bastard”, doesn’t really have a " cycling in" period for speed work.
Monday - Max Effort upper body Reps 3-5 range. Asssit. work

Wed - Max Effort Lower body

Friday - Instead of speed bench, Joe uses high rep. training. (10+)
you can use barbell, dumbell, chain push-ups.

sat - extra lower body work if you have the time

The difference between this workout and westside is on max effort days you don’t do singles. There is more volume for the younger lifter. 2nd, instead of speed work, the higher reps are used to help create hypertrophy. I’ve used a similar workout for years w/ my young athlete’s and it works great. Good luck and get big!

Have a second day of speed work, but do repetition work after.

Keep rest periods short.

Dont worry about speed work at your age. You will get faster by getting stronger. Your tendons are not prepared to handle speed work and could be disastrous for you.

On the Max days…it says work up to a max set of 3-5 reps…Does that mean I need to do 5 reps…add weight…do 5 more reps…add weight etc until I max out? I usually just do 2 or 3 reps and
on my last set I go all out and get 5 reps… Sorry if this sounds too basic…
Thanx

I think it means to warm-up like you would be testing your one rep max, but see how much you can lift for 5 or 3 reps instead of 1 on your last set. I usually do something like this, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 5 reps, and then my max 5 reps.

Thanks for the replies.

warm up by doing 5 reps until you can no longer do five reps (weight is too heavy) then drop the reps to three and work up till you fail to get 3 reps. Around 7-9 sets to find your 3-rep max is a good number. About half of those should be close to your 5 RM.

Good info guys…On the first workout …let’s say Monday I do like 6 warm up sets to reach my 5MAX set…Well what about the following Monday? I will add weight as recommended…but do I need to do so many warm up sets…since I already know my 5 MAX ??
I wonder what the protocol is in regards to warm up sets before hitting your MAX…This kind of training is new to me…Doing 10-8-5- seems overly
pre-exhaustive…would 5x5R be the way to go I wonder…low reps seem better…

Slam dunk,
You need to do as many warm up sets as it takes for you to be ready. The size jumps you make depends on the level of lifter you are. As far as reps, I believe low reps are better. Since we are talking about a 5 rep max, I like to rep the bar for about 10-20 then the next set for 5-10 and everything after that for 5 reps. That is what works for me. Find what works for you just make sure you are warmed up and not worn out. Hope it helps

As stated I wouldn’t worry about speed work right now. But if you plan to eventually take on a powerlifting program such as WS I would say add in some box squats on rep or max day to get used to the form and techinique…and as gpp you could do explosive push-ups and jumping box squats, these are both none weighted and would be easier on you body, you find the articles about both movements here by Chad Waterbury.

Also if you want some tips on working up check out dave tates periodization bible II article, but instead of one rep stop at three.

yes, keep the same number of sets. You want to do more work with more weight. You WANT more sets. It’s NOT just the last set that matters.

We use some of our heavier “warm-ups” as speed reps. If we use five sets of five’s, sets 4+5 are pushed as fast as possible. Then when we go to three’s, we push ALL of those as fast as possible. Then on repetition days we usually stick to 30 reps, on down to 15. The first half of these sets, we push as fast as possible until fatigue sets in and slows us down. But, even though the reps slow down, we still TRY to push as fast as possible. A fourth (extra) workout could be comprised of explosive push-ups and squat jumps with med. ball throws. Perform chest passes, backward overhead throws.

It’s great that you are paying attention to your strength/power levels at an early stage in your ball career.

As a b-ball and conditiioning coach I’d like to add my 2 cents. First, do not make the mistake of becoming obsessed with lifting for lifting sake. I have worked with 2 players who sacrificed their skill training and court time to the weightroom. They got real strong. But their abilities on the court fell-off considerably, performing below where they did the previous season. They struggled during their senior seasons and lost out on some nice scholarship opportunities.

Unless you are unusually gifted as a basketball athlete, and you may be, please spend the bulk of your time dialing in your ball skills.

Second, make sure you condition the anaerobic and aerobic qualities that a player must have in order to perform at a high level during every period of a game, and during the course of a long tournament. I frequently see physically strong players who play the game like football players: they get a nice rebound, get out on a break, flush a nice dunk but have to walk back up court because lactic acid has kicked them in the ass. These guys are only good for a couple of plays at a time.

That being said, I have used the WSB program for 3 players. It appears to be working for adding size and decent strength levels. The suggested weekly template for scheduling workouts has also been working well in terms of coordinating practice with lower body workouts. In addition, the single squats with DB’s have been great for my athletes’s leg strength, balance and injury-proofing against groin pulls.

In the summer I have some players on CS Sloan’s Frequent and Furiuos program, with a few small changes. One player’s vertical jump increased 6 inches in about 2.5 months on that one!

Sorry for the rant but, I have strong opinions about training for the game. And I believe there many more players who could play college ball at some level if they worked a lot harder at developing the various specific ball skills while strengthening their bodies.