Westside for Skinny Bastards

I noticed on the workout routine you have to pick max effort lower body movement. Well deads and squats are in the same category. Would I perform deads on upper body day before my back?
or would I just add another day all to deads?

I will not let go of one, SO any suggestions on how I should incorporate them both into the routine? Anyone go through similar situation?

[quote]Wilmernuts wrote:
I noticed on the workout routine you have to pick max effort lower body movement. Well deads and squats are in the same category. Would I perform deads on upper body day before my back? or would I just add another day all to deads? I will not let go of one, SO any suggestions on how I should incorporate them both into the routine? Anyone go through similar situation?[/quote]

you rotate ME lifts on lower body day.

So you might do squats for a month, then pull from the floor.

You’ll be doing a ton of posterior chain work from the other lifts, so don’t put deads in anywhere else.

You are not letting go of one. Improving your squat will help your deadlift.

Choose an ME lift. If you are just beginning, keep using the same one for about 3 weeks or until you’re not making progress with it then pick another one. Pretty much what boyscout just said.

Have you looked at the Westside for Skinny Bastards template? If you’re just starting this program, it would probably be a better place to start until you’re familiar with the concepts.

A link if you haven’t read it yet:
http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

*quick edit

I need to stop posting until I’ve had coffee, my apologies. Obviously or hopefully you’ve read the program. I have done WS4SB2 and it will build your deadlift, no worries about that. Just do it how you’re supposed to. It’s a good template.

Read the program, it tells you how to do deads.

Next, read here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/wsfsb_appreciation_society

Thanks for the help I noticed they had two different routines. It seemed to me the first one was geared more towards an athlete. I use to play football but not anymore, my main goals are just to get bigger and stronger. Should I just do the first one?

Deadlifts are a leg exercise.

[quote]Wilmernuts wrote:
Thanks for the help I noticed they had two different routines. It seemed to me the first one was geared more towards an athlete. I use to play football but not anymore, my main goals are just to get bigger and stronger. Should I just do the first one?[/quote]

It’s set up as a template, so you can adjust it as needed for your goals.

I would stick with WS4SB 2 as it made some minor changes to the original program that make more sense (balances out verticle pressing and horizontal pulling exercises and has a little more direct arm work). Just don’t feel that you have to perform the running/conditioning workouts since you just want to get bigger and stronger.

Or you can use the new template from WS4SB 3 (4 days per week) and substitute the DE leg day (jumping exercises) with Box squats or just perform a unilateral movement, hip movement, abs, etc.

[quote]colonelquack wrote:
Deadlifts are a leg exercise.[/quote]

ummm? thank you captain obvious.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Wilmernuts wrote:
Thanks for the help I noticed they had two different routines. It seemed to me the first one was geared more towards an athlete. I use to play football but not anymore, my main goals are just to get bigger and stronger. Should I just do the first one?

It’s set up as a template, so you can adjust it as needed for your goals.

I would stick with WS4SB 2 as it made some minor changes to the original program that make more sense (balances out verticle pressing and horizontal pulling exercises and has a little more direct arm work). Just don’t feel that you have to perform the running/conditioning workouts since you just want to get bigger and stronger.

Or you can use the new template from WS4SB 3 (4 days per week) and substitute the DE leg day (jumping exercises) with Box squats or just perform a unilateral movement, hip movement, abs, etc.

[/quote]

Alright thanks I’ll check it out. Right now I just finshed a 3 month cutting routine. I must admit I did do it sloppy but started at 232 and finshed at 218. My main goal is to get my strength back.
Current 1RM

Bench: 325
Squat:365(Just started doing lower body 3 months ago :frowning:
Deadlift:405(same thing started 3 months ago)
Standing overhead barbell press: 185x8(never maxed on these)